Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing to know about fog and lights or the color of the light is the white from head lights reflects back at you not thru the fog.... Now with that said I don't know why my fog / driving lights I got from LMC are white?....

I've had both amber and white fog lights in the past, but I'll never have amber again. It's true that amber doesn't reflect back off of fog as much as white light, but in my experience that's just because it's not as bright. And the other result of not as bright is that it doesn't penetrate through fog as well as white light. White fog lights seem to light up everything a lot better than amber, whether there's fog or not. And having them mounted and aimed low keeps them from shining back as much as headlights (especially high beams).

As far as driving in fog with no headlights, I wouldn't recommend that. Fog lights really don't light up very far in front of you, even when there isn't any fog. So you better be driving REALLY slow if that's all you're using.

The thing to know about fog and lights or the color of the light is the white from head lights reflects back at you not thru the fog.

When in a good fog bank try the low beams and then the high beams and see what one works better .... low beams as the light is not as bright to reflect back.

Now with that said I don't know why my fog / driving lights I got from LMC are white?

With that said I would have them come on with the park / running lights so you have tail lights but able to turn off the head lights for less reflection.

I have mine powered thru the yellow heavy gauge wire under the brake booster in the engine bay.

This is hot when the key is on and I have a switch with light under the dash. 1 way is for fog the other for driving lights and in the center is off.

Also IIRC fog lights work best low, like 18" or something like that off the ground. Now I know on trucks it is hard to mount them low with out getting them taken out in some way be it Off Roading or snow banks.

I did not measure mine as I also wanted them in the bumper for a custom look and not under it.

Just something to keep in mind on fog lights.

Dave ----

I know these things about selective yellow fogs.

But I'm doing what I can with what I've got..

It's really amazing how much fill and spread I get with the fog lights, and I haven't even got them flush with the bumper, or begun to optimize the aim and focus.

This is a good thing!😉

Does thinking about doing something to the truck count :nabble_anim_confused:

I was going to see about installing the head light relay wiring and aim the head & fog / driving lights but never made it out of my chair :nabble_smiley_cry:

There is always tomorrow

Dave ----

FuzzFace2, what did you use for your arm rests in your truck? I'm thinking of doing something similar to that in my truck. I was going to use a shaved down 2x4 on a 1970 F100 I had years ago but never got around to doing it.

Soo close! Got the brakes done and bled and moved on to the motor. Everything went smoothly getting the clutch and trans mounted and after a little finagling, the motor is setting on the frame. Unfortunately, I either lost/threw away the new transmission mount or never ordered it so we had to stop there for tonight. So bummed I couldn't finish getting it bolted up, but oh well, still good progress.

That's really looking great!

Not to worry.

If you're like me, you will find the trans mount, as soon as you get out from under the truck installing the NEW one! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I always liked a gantry with a chainfall.

Nice that you have the ceiling height to use one. :nabble_smiley_cool:

.... It's really amazing how much fill and spread I get with the fog lights, and I haven't even got them flush with the bumper, or begun to optimize the aim and focus.

This is a good thing!😉

That's what I love about "fog light", much more so than their performance in fog. And it's really nice driving down a rural Wisconsin 2-lane at night and seeing the deer freeze in the ditch where the fogs are lighting them up!

FuzzFace2, what did you use for your arm rests in your truck? I'm thinking of doing something similar to that in my truck. I was going to use a shaved down 2x4 on a 1970 F100 I had years ago but never got around to doing it.

So everyone know what we are talking about LOL

20191103_171416.jpg.3ae1274180c95905de1c7ec1ca5efb4a.jpg

I cant take credit for them as I bought the truck with them on the panels.

They look to be a section of a wood hand railing cut to fit where the factory rest was.

They also took a router to the top to make a place to grab it to pull the door closed.

It is not quite deep enough to get a good grip on and it has a sharp edge that hits your arm when it is resting on it the hurts after a while.

They used 2 screws from the bottom side thru the door panel so if you go pulling on them to close the door you can see the panel flex. I think the factory rest goes thru the rest & panel to the door frame so the panel is not flexing but not sure as I have never seen a factory rest in place.

Dave ----

They look to be a section of a wood hand railing cut to fit where the factory rest was.

They also took a router to the top to make a place to grab it to pull the door closed.

It is not quite deep enough to get a good grip on and it has a sharp edge that hits your arm when it is resting on it the hurts after a while.

They used 2 screws from the bottom side thru the door panel so if you go pulling on them to close the door you can see the panel flex. I think the factory rest goes thru the rest & panel to the door frame so the panel is not flexing but not sure as I have never seen a factory rest in place.

Dave ----

I got my butt out to the garage and installed the head light relay harness.

The hardest part was pulling out my large Rubber Maid auto electrical bin and going thru it for connectors, wire and a 20 amp breaker as the harness did not come with a fuse on the power side.

I also gave the head lights a few turns up on the adjustments as they were a little too low for my liking.

I will take the screw driver with me so I can fine tune the next time I have it out at night.

Dave ----

Dave ----

That's the same way the stock arm rests are mounted. A future project to think about for sure. I'll have to see what I come up with when I get around to redoing my arm rests.

Dave ----

Quite Interesting.

I bought armrests in black from LMC, they didn't hurt as much as painted to match.