Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Windows look like fishbowls to me, so I would say it's not enough. I would look into something around 35% VLT. I have 20% on both of my trucks, but that's in the dark range so I wouldn't recommend it in your application.

Thanks Shaun,

I went through all of my Bullnose pics this morning looking for SRW tint examples, and found these few, some from members on here...

00202_k2NpoakyZUG_1200x900.jpg.ba1fe9378a101b8862d14ec96e965bd6.jpg

REamer_31x10.thumb.jpg.361e276cbb6e90f3231e9f292b9ee07c.jpg

21231213_10212554901738993_7457203574899798643_n.jpg.341d1b73ddea6007f17522fe49d655e7.jpg

295_50_15_on_15x8.jpg.3b09e89372247fbfdcd0e3179496105d.jpg

Oddly, I think about 60% of the truck pictures I have just have clear back windows like mine. I'm not sure what I want exactly, but I know that when driving it now, the sun scorches the back of my head, neck, and shoulders through the plain solid window.

Thanks for the info on the percentages. I'll check with the local shops and see what they have. I have never tinted a vehicle window in my life, so I know nothing about it.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Front and rear shocks today. Easy jobs with the exception of a passenger side lower mount that had to be removed to get the bottom brushing out. The mount was pinched.

Treated the girl to Bilsteins. Ride is noticeably nicer. I'm curious to how it will handle under load.

Interesting..

I ordered a pair of Gas-A-Just for the front of 'Lil Red, Christmas for her as I hope to soon have the whole front end out.

With the bumper off I can really see how bad those front shackles are. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Today I had to replace my oil pressure sending unit. When I was finishing up yesterday, my sending unit started leaking where it is pinched together, but no problem, I had another one on my spare 300 short block. Problem there was it showed no oil pressure. The fine folks at my local AutoZone came to the rescue and ordered me a new one since they did not have one in stock. It came in today and I picked it up on my way to see my sister. She is at a local nursing home to get therapy to help her recovery from a stroke. I was short on cash right now and told them I couldn't get it until my SSA check came in so they did a price over-ride and gave me a 100% discount and told me "thanks for my business and have a merry Christmas". Now the oil pressure reads just on the beginning of the m. My old one was always pegged so it was bad, I just didn't know it until it sprung a leak.

Frank, sorry to hear about your sister.

Her, and her recovery will definitely be in my prayers. 🙏

Frank, sorry to hear about your sister.

Her, and her recovery will definitely be in my prayers. 🙏

Mark - Big Blue has had Bilsteins all 'round, but don't know if they are helping the ride as the springs don't flex much. Hopefully the changes I'm making on springs will fix that, but am going back with Bilsteins.

Cory - You have me thinking about tinting the rear window now. The sun certainly does scorch the back of the head and neck. Please keep us posted with what you do.

Frank - Sorry about your sister. Will keep her in my prayers as well.

Jim - You really have quite the project going. Hope you are taking plenty of pics and will post.

Mark - Big Blue has had Bilsteins all 'round, but don't know if they are helping the ride as the springs don't flex much. Hopefully the changes I'm making on springs will fix that, but am going back with Bilsteins.

Cory - You have me thinking about tinting the rear window now. The sun certainly does scorch the back of the head and neck. Please keep us posted with what you do.

Frank - Sorry about your sister. Will keep her in my prayers as well.

Jim - You really have quite the project going. Hope you are taking plenty of pics and will post.

Thanks for your prayers. I strongly believe in the power of prayers and welcome the comfort it brings. It is the best thing we can do for ourselves and each other. Her stroke really shocked me since she is only 42 and is still healing from getting her left leg amputated due to diabetes complications and had already had her right leg amputated last year. Again thank you very much for all of your prayers.

Thanks for your prayers. I strongly believe in the power of prayers and welcome the comfort it brings. It is the best thing we can do for ourselves and each other. Her stroke really shocked me since she is only 42 and is still healing from getting her left leg amputated due to diabetes complications and had already had her right leg amputated last year. Again thank you very much for all of your prayers.

Frank, I just read about the health problems with your wife, Prayers for her and your family.

Bill

.... Cory - You have me thinking about tinting the rear window now. The sun certainly does scorch the back of the head and neck. Please keep us posted with what you do....

It's been a LONG time since I've had a regular cab truck. With SuperCabs and crew cabs you don't get the sun coming right through the back window and hitting you. But at least without that issue, what I have decided is that I don't want any tint to speak of in back windows. The biggest driver for me is visibility out through a topper. With a clear rear window you can see into and through the topper. With a tinted window you can't see into the dark interior of the topper, so you just see a reflection off the back window (effectively you are looking forward out of the passenger window). So I've had tinted windows removed from the three used trucks I've bought.

I get that if you have no plans to put a topper on you have less reason than I not to have tinted windows. And anyone with a regular cab has more reason than I to have tinted windows. So I'll understand if you don't think my advice applies!

By the way, when I did have a regular cab '85 F-250, it didn't have tinted windows or AC. Now I live in Minnesota, so AC isn't needed for much of the year, and it never gets as hot as it can get in some parts of the country. But temps near 90 with a dew point near 70 aren't at all uncommon. And in 13 years of driving that truck I never really wished for either tinted windows or AC. Of course, after getting AC in my next truck I'll never be without that again! But I do prefer untinted windows for visibility, especially looking back through the topper. My current truck still has tinted glass in the back doors and I have no plans to change that. But I would have change the glass in the front doors had it been tinted. And I did change the glass in the rear window since it was.

I get that if you have no plans to put a topper on you have less reason than I not to have tinted windows. And anyone with a regular cab has more reason than I to have tinted windows. So I'll understand if you don't think my advice applies!

Hey, it's all good advice, and I do agree. I'd actually prefer to not tint, but there are times in the summer that I've been driving this truck and it is really miserable in the heat. I'm just a little over 6 ft, so I have the seat all the way back, and the back of my head is about 1" from the window, and I'm tellin' ya it is just like a magnifying glass. The whole point of the truck was for it to be fun, and I'd like to drive it as much as possible. I plan to put AC in it, but that may not happen right away.

The alternative to the tint is to leave the windows clear, and get one of the little retractable sun shades to put behind me. That way if it is one of those hot and sunny days, I can pull it down for protection.

We'll see I guess. Now that I've got the old truck looking pretty good, I'm trying to tackle some of the other issues this winter so that the truck is nicer to drive in the spring.

Hey, it's all good advice, and I do agree. I'd actually prefer to not tint, but there are times in the summer that I've been driving this truck and it is really miserable in the heat. I'm just a little over 6 ft, so I have the seat all the way back, and the back of my head is about 1" from the window, and I'm tellin' ya it is just like a magnifying glass. The whole point of the truck was for it to be fun, and I'd like to drive it as much as possible. I plan to put AC in it, but that may not happen right away.

The alternative to the tint is to leave the windows clear, and get one of the little retractable sun shades to put behind me. That way if it is one of those hot and sunny days, I can pull it down for protection.

We'll see I guess. Now that I've got the old truck looking pretty good, I'm trying to tackle some of the other issues this winter so that the truck is nicer to drive in the spring.

I hear you on cooking the back of your head thru the rear window and mine is tinted pretty dark in my truck.

Hard to tell in the picture but looking thru and out the passenger door glass you can tell a little.

20191027_125445.jpg.d853376699fe5d997e6e823b248ee55f.jpg

Remember when inside looking out thru dark glass it is not bad, my Durango has factory dark tint on rear doors, back side glass and tail gate and it is not hard to see out when inside.

Dave ----

.... Remember when inside looking out thru dark glass it is not bad, my Durango has factory dark tint on rear doors, back side glass and tail gate and it is not hard to see out when inside.

Dave ----

It's easy to see through tinted glass if it's darker on your side than it is on the other side. So in the daylight, yes, it's easy to see from inside the truck through tinted glass. At night, not so much. Of course bright lights will show up pretty well, but you'll get reflections of lights from in front of you showing up in the back window as well. (And then there's looking through the back window into a dark topper if you've got that.)

I'm still not trying to change anyone's mind. Tinted windows definitely have their place.