Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

It does look similar to that 7a554 part in the diagram, although I believe mine is oriented with the stud facing in the other direction. I hadn’t thought of replacing the stud with a bolt of the same size, that is a great idea, thank you!

Yeah, the drawing is backwards, but check those 2471 bushings.

They can, and DO wear.

Once the hole in the casting gets egg shaped the whole thing is junk. (unless you can get a machinist to line bore it and *bond* in some spacer bushings to bring it back to round)

Delrin (acetal) is probably the best material for that.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, the drawing is backwards, but check those 2471 bushings.

They can, and DO wear.

Once the hole in the casting gets egg shaped the whole thing is junk. (unless you can get a machinist to line bore it and *bond* in some spacer bushings to bring it back to round)

Delrin (acetal) is probably the best material for that.

As an amateur machinist, that might be tough to do. But since the mechanical clutch castings are getting harder to find I think I'd consider it. Maybe bore it and press in a thin metal tube for the bushings to ride on. But I'd look for sintered bronze bushings to replace the plastic.

As an amateur machinist, that might be tough to do. But since the mechanical clutch castings are getting harder to find I think I'd consider it. Maybe bore it and press in a thin metal tube for the bushings to ride on. But I'd look for sintered bronze bushings to replace the plastic.

Haven't made much progress on the truck the last couple weeks. Been pretty busy with other stuff. Should get a chance to work on it with the 4 day weekend. I did get the throttle body torn apart, cleaned, and painted. Also painted the upper and lower intake manifolds. All the were painted with aluminum color paint to help keep it fresh looking and easier to clean on the long run. Here's a sneak peak with the lower just set on place.

IMG_20191128_143943.thumb.jpg.f93fb0438a636125fc54aee1197d6776.jpg

Haven't made much progress on the truck the last couple weeks. Been pretty busy with other stuff. Should get a chance to work on it with the 4 day weekend. I did get the throttle body torn apart, cleaned, and painted. Also painted the upper and lower intake manifolds. All the were painted with aluminum color paint to help keep it fresh looking and easier to clean on the long run. Here's a sneak peak with the lower just set on place.

Looking good! And the aluminum paint will make it much easier to keep clean. :nabble_smiley_good:

Went Black Friday shopping today, from the comfort of my own living room.

Took my truck to work today, about 70 mile round trip even took it up on the hi way.

Speedo is on the money with my GPS.

Steering needs looking into, new box?

Has pinging under light load going to look into adjustable vacuum can for the dist.

Either need to rebuild the T18, hard shifting, or look for another or a ZF5.

Other wise it runs and rids great.

Dave ----

Finding a 2wd ZF5 with the SBF bellhousing I believe is much easier than finding the 4x4 version. I saw a couple of them at the local junkyard go to the crusher. I'm sure there's a much lower demand for them than the 4x4 versions.

But remember...a ZF5 has a hydraulic clutch, which I know you don't like.

Finding a 2wd ZF5 with the SBF bellhousing I believe is much easier than finding the 4x4 version. I saw a couple of them at the local junkyard go to the crusher. I'm sure there's a much lower demand for them than the 4x4 versions.

But remember...a ZF5 has a hydraulic clutch, which I know you don't like.

Shaun - Which kit did you get? Did you talk to Erik? Tell him you are on here?

Dave - You are sure your alignment guys know what they are doing - right? Bad toe-in can cause problems.

Cory - I was going to say it is possible to use a mechanical clutch linkage on a ZF5. I did it, although it did take some modifications to the throw out arm. But then I remembered that the small-block ZF5 has a concentric hydraulic slave cylinder internal to the bell housing, so that won't work and I won't mention it. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

SD Spring. I did not talk to anyone, I figure I am just gonna have to modify the kit to work for me since they don't have the truck in front of them. I haven't seen any updates from Vince or the other guy, so I guess I'll just have to see how it works for me.

SD Spring. I did not talk to anyone, I figure I am just gonna have to modify the kit to work for me since they don't have the truck in front of them. I haven't seen any updates from Vince or the other guy, so I guess I'll just have to see how it works for me.

Cool! Keep us posted.