Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I made a :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: repair to a small section of the inner fender liner mount that was missing from my rad support, ...

This I gotta see! Did you cut things out with a sawzall and then put a brace across the hole? Pics or I'll think the worst. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Remember when I was having a hard time finding a creaking popping noise down in the footwell and found a bad motor mount?

Well, while I was under the truck yesterday I noticed the pinch weld between floor pan and firewall is letting loose!

How I didn't see this when I was looking before I have no idea.

But it definitely needs addressed before winter.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I made a :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: repair to a small section of the inner fender liner mount that was missing from my rad support, ...

This I gotta see! Did you cut things out with a sawzall and then put a brace across the hole? Pics or I'll think the worst. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I cut a patch to size of the missing section and then drilled three holes and riveted both pieces together. Maybe someday I'll go back and weld another piece in, but frankly this isn't that type of truck. lol.

Gary, from his description it sounds like the 1972 has a rubber gasket like the rear windows. They can be interesting to do. Procedure was to put a string in the groove, start the windshield in and use the string to pull the lip up over the windshield. If he can find someone who has worked on older German cars, they would be familiar with this procedure. My 1961 Mercedes-Benz 220Sb had that style windshield mounting.

You want to use a string that will pull in soap like a liquid dish soap, soak the string in the soap.

IIRC you need to fit the chrome into the rubber first then fit the rubber to the glass.

Fit the soapy string in the groove the pinch weld goes in. I liked to over lap the ends about a foot at the bottom. Fit the glass to the truck starting with the bottom pinch weld into the rubber gasket.

Now pull the string a little at a time on each side to pull the rubber over the pinch weld.

The bottom should be easy as pinch weld is in the rubber its when you get to the part of the gasket not over the weld. You will also need to push in on the gasket in the area the string is working the rubber.

Again work a little each side of the string as you want to keep the twist of the glass / rubber even.

So if working the bottom from the center work say a foot on the right then a foot on the left then back to the right pushing in on the rubber so it sits as it should. Do this all the way around till the rubber is over the pinch weld and the glass / rubber sit right.

Now cleanup the soap slime install the wipers and enjoy.

I have done a few to many VW bug glass when I was younger with my dad in our shop.

Dave ----

Remember when I was having a hard time finding a creaking popping noise down in the footwell and found a bad motor mount?

Well, while I was under the truck yesterday I noticed the pinch weld between floor pan and firewall is letting loose!

Jim - How are you going to "address" that? Weld?

I cut a patch to size of the missing section and then drilled three holes and riveted both pieces together. Maybe someday I'll go back and weld another piece in, but frankly this isn't that type of truck. lol.

Ahhh! Got it. I'll bet that'll work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - How are you going to "address" that? Weld?

Ahhh! Got it. I'll bet that'll work. :nabble_smiley_good:

Finally got the front end done. Still need to put the wheels back on, but entire front suspension has been rebuilt including new calipers and brake hoses. Unfortunately I realized the timing cover is too corroded to reuse so I have to get a new one ordered. Any idea if the EFI mustang 5.0 timing cover and EFI truck truck cover are the same?

IMG_20191019_180852.thumb.jpg.938aba46cb6b1d262a492863f4c4570d.jpg

Finally got the front end done. Still need to put the wheels back on, but entire front suspension has been rebuilt including new calipers and brake hoses. Unfortunately I realized the timing cover is too corroded to reuse so I have to get a new one ordered. Any idea if the EFI mustang 5.0 timing cover and EFI truck truck cover are the same?

Lately I've been having trouble getting my choke to set. (and mornings are chilly)

First thing, I matted my throttle pedal and opened the air cleaner to check.

Nope, not open.

I took a hacksaw and cut off the plastic corner of the pedal where it was touching the floor at the tunnel.

Nope.

I pulled the air cleaner housing and noticed some slack in the cable, so I slotted the mounting holes and shifted the stay back.

After a few rounds of back and forth I think I have it where I need it.

We'll see in the morning.

Lately I've been having trouble getting my choke to set. (and mornings are chilly)

First thing, I matted my throttle pedal and opened the air cleaner to check.

Nope, not open.

I took a hacksaw and cut off the plastic corner of the pedal where it was touching the floor at the tunnel.

Nope.

I pulled the air cleaner housing and noticed some slack in the cable, so I slotted the mounting holes and shifted the stay back.

After a few rounds of back and forth I think I have it where I need it.

We'll see in the morning.

So you don't think you are getting full throttle and it is keeping the choke from setting?

I thought full throttle kicked the choke open with the unloader. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

So you don't think you are getting full throttle and it is keeping the choke from setting?

I thought full throttle kicked the choke open with the unloader. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Maybe I've stretched the cable driving her like I have been? :nabble_anim_confused:

If I push the linkage back by hand the choke snaps shut like it should.

I'll see in the morning..