Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

If you stay with the Speed Density system, it should adjust to the higher flow as the system uses two different control methods, first uses the O2 sensor(s) to adjust the mixture to the desired air/fuel ratio for best emission performance, the second is WOT control, this isn't necessarily full throttle, but is a point at which the computer says "hey, more fuel is needed" under this condition the system uses pre-programmed tables for fuel, spark advance etc. The two main inputs used are throttle opening and manifold absolute pressure. If the MAP signal stays low due to higher flow heads, intake and exhaust system, then the fuel will be delivered.

If you go to a Mass Air Flow system two items of concern, first, the EEC-IV computers can not be reprogrammed, but an add on device, such as a TwEECer or Moates Quarter Horse will allow changes to be made, they modify the EECs programming by essentially replacing the EPROM with one in their board or attachment. This will allow a later computer with the 13726548 firing order to be used on an engine with the 15426378 firing order (I actually started on mine with that idea).

An EEC-V (1996 up) can be reflashed using a laptop (maybe a tablet by now) and a pass-through cable that provides the 18V signal to put the computer in the flash mode. Core Tuning sells an excellent package and has some pretty good support. There are other companies that also do this. There are aftermarket sources for EFI systems, but many actually only build throttle body injection systems, which in my opinion are not as good as the factory units.

One additional item, starting in 1990, Ford relocated the ignition module from the side of the distributor to the left rear of the inner fender getting it away from the engine heat. I highly recommend anyone doing upgrades to early EFI systems do that.

Bill - A tablet, or maybe I should say "this" tablet, worked well with the package I bought from Core Tuning. And this is a Win 10 Microsoft Surface Pro.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill - A tablet, or maybe I should say "this" tablet, worked well with the package I bought from Core Tuning. And this is a Win 10 Microsoft Surface Pro.

Grabbed this 4x4 shift lever from my favorite NOS parts retailer, Uhaul for the low price of $25 shipped. No idea why they bought replacement transfer case levers, but I'm glad they did because everyone else wants way too much for them. Factory part number is E0TZ-7210-M although there's two different levers under this part number, and this is the later version. Just another difference between the 1980 and 1981 trucks that Ford swept under the rug. :nabble_anim_crazy:

DSCN2049.jpg.6fc051efb45593744bb83044a1b6c87c.jpg

Here's the 1980 version.

1980fordf250truck-37.jpg.7c008bc8248039950d4d024f5d9d357c.jpg

1981 (Note how the shift knob points back at the driver in 2H) :

BroncoFreeWheel_33.jpg.40dd087513849af5cfe7ddb2f38ed68c.jpg

Aside from an oil change this weekend (which I'm going to make my son do as part of his Automotive Maintenance merit badge for Boy Scouts), I've run out of major things to do to my truck for the time being. So now it's time to take care of a minor item...

Like all of the other plastic in my truck, my fan shroud is in the process of decomposing back into the petroleum from whence it came. A few weeks ago when I was removing it to get to my crankshaft pulley, one of the mounting tabs disintegrated as soon as I touched the bolt:

Fortunately I had some bits of aluminum bar stock left over from our robot project, so today I cut, drilled, and painted myself a new tab. It looks ghetto, but at least I have a shroud again:

Damn, Matthew, I was one of the very first counselors for Auto Mechanics Merit Badge when it was first introduced. Glad he is learning! One of my son's went all the way to Eagle, the other got as far as Life, but did go to the 1989 Jamboree at Ft. A.P.Hill and to Philmont in 1990. When Lee Greenwood sang "God Bless The USA" Matt was close enough to reach out and touch him. He had the flag for his troop as he was quartermaster.

A couple of Jamborees earlier, we had taken a group from our troop up for a visit, the Scoutmaster, Hansel (Doc) Price and I were walking through the merit badge midway and came up to a group of foreign scout leaders, who stopped and spoke with us commenting on our 50 year strips and low (15) unit number. They shook our hands and we went our respective ways. Later there was coverage of the king of Sweden visiting our jamboree, imagine our surprise when we saw his picture, I imagine the group with him, all in Swedish boy scout uniforms were probably his security detail.

Grabbed this 4x4 shift lever from my favorite NOS parts retailer, Uhaul for the low price of $25 shipped. No idea why they bought replacement transfer case levers, but I'm glad they did because everyone else wants way too much for them. Factory part number is E0TZ-7210-M although there's two different levers under this part number, and this is the later version. Just another difference between the 1980 and 1981 trucks that Ford swept under the rug. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Here's the 1980 version.

1981 (Note how the shift knob points back at the driver in 2H) :

Shaun - U-Haul sure has some good deals. Glad you found the shift lever. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did to my truck today, I got it ready for a 200 mile round trip tomorrow to go get a '65 Malibu. Hooked up the trailer, checked tire pressures, and loaded the back seat area to the gills with "tools". (I wanted the considerable extra weight to be between the axles and as far forward as possible since the soft suspension on the truck is already down some just due to the trailer's weight.)

Here's a shot showing all that stuff, which includes lots of chain & boomers, ratchet straps, hand tools, battery-powered impact, 4-way, air tank, floor jack, and jumper cables. I think I have everything, but if you have suggestions please let me know.

Back_Seat_Full_Headed_To_Grove.thumb.jpg.6e7717e5bc5baa870a30cecd32e0742c.jpg

And I mounted the battery box and battery, which took more time than I expected. They sent stainless sheet metal screws that weren't up to biting into the tread plate, so I wound up taping the holes 8-32 and using stainless machine screws. I sure hope they are in the right place - the Loctite I used came out of a blue bottle but was red. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Battery_Box.thumb.jpg.fe4f4badb825d325bd2157cc3a147acb.jpg

And then, having everything else done, I decided that the draw bar's 6" drop was too much as it put the trailer's jack only 4" off the ground in the fully-up position. So it was back to Tractor Supply for a 2" drop draw bar rated at 16K #'s and a new 25K # capable ball. (A 14K rated ball was only $5 less.) That let me raise the coupler on the trailer and, therefore, get 8" of clearance for the jack.

So, we are ready for tomorrow!

Ready_For_Grove_-_Getting_The_Malibu.thumb.jpg.5ae0ad0135f4e5f53f7ee7acb76ac350.jpg

Damn, Matthew, I was one of the very first counselors for Auto Mechanics Merit Badge when it was first introduced. Glad he is learning! One of my son's went all the way to Eagle, the other got as far as Life, but did go to the 1989 Jamboree at Ft. A.P.Hill and to Philmont in 1990. When Lee Greenwood sang "God Bless The USA" Matt was close enough to reach out and touch him. He had the flag for his troop as he was quartermaster.

A couple of Jamborees earlier, we had taken a group from our troop up for a visit, the Scoutmaster, Hansel (Doc) Price and I were walking through the merit badge midway and came up to a group of foreign scout leaders, who stopped and spoke with us commenting on our 50 year strips and low (15) unit number. They shook our hands and we went our respective ways. Later there was coverage of the king of Sweden visiting our jamboree, imagine our surprise when we saw his picture, I imagine the group with him, all in Swedish boy scout uniforms were probably his security detail.

Cool story, Bill. You didn't get your pic with the king?

Gary, I use a weight disturbing hitch setup on my car trailer and the 02 Durango.

With just the trailer on the truck it drops a little where the hitch will hit going in & out of the drives.

I never tried with out the weight disturbing hitch with a car on the trailer but it could not be any better.

When I had my 86 K5 Blazer pulling the same trailer & cars I did not need a weight disturbing setup as it had heaver duty springs and both trucks had towing packages.

Dave ----

Gary, I use a weight disturbing hitch setup on my car trailer and the 02 Durango.

With just the trailer on the truck it drops a little where the hitch will hit going in & out of the drives.

I never tried with out the weight disturbing hitch with a car on the trailer but it could not be any better.

When I had my 86 K5 Blazer pulling the same trailer & cars I did not need a weight disturbing setup as it had heaver duty springs and both trucks had towing packages.

Dave ----

What kind of wdh do you have? Been keeping my eye out for a good one.

Dave ----

Dave - I don't think I need a weight distributing hitch. The truck doesn't drop a lot, but I am considering the light duty air bags for it so I can level it out.

One of the reasons I'm not that interested in a weight distributing hitch is because I tow several different trailers - the car hauler, the boat trailer, and probably a camping trailer in the not too distant future. And my limited understanding of the weight distributing hitches is that they aren't easily transferred from trailer to trailer. Right?

So the air bags would allow me to trim things out regardless of which trailer and what the load is.

Neither of us realized he was the king until we read it in the newspaper. He did not identify himself nor did any of his entourage. I think he wanted to be low key and just enjoy himself He was a huge fan of scouting having been a scout in his youth.

Neither of us realized he was the king until we read it in the newspaper. He did not identify himself nor did any of his entourage. I think he wanted to be low key and just enjoy himself He was a huge fan of scouting having been a scout in his youth.

Makes sense. That's what I'd do if I were king. :nabble_smiley_thinking: