Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm sorry I didn't answer this question sooner.

Yes, that little bridge has long given up the ghost.

I tried welding the crack shut, but as you see it didn't last forever.

No problem. Did it die from salt? I've not seen them crumble like that must have done.

No problem. Did it die from salt? I've not seen them crumble like that must have done.

I don't think any salt could get up there.

More than likely bad beltline left the door full of water all the time, and vibration caused it to tear.

Think I'll just smear some bathroom caulk on for now.

Another door will turn up

I don't think any salt could get up there.

More than likely bad beltline left the door full of water all the time, and vibration caused it to tear.

Think I'll just smear some bathroom caulk on for now.

Another door will turn up

I need to go 'borrow back' my tall jack stands before I get started with the front suspension bushings.

I really wish people would return tools, or at least acknowledge that they are aware.

I borrowed a power washer, Because my relief valve STB.

I painted it, installed a new fuel filter, new (foam filled) wheels and new vibration isolating feet.

Bart wasn't unhappy he loaned it to me. :nabble_anim_handshake: :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

I need to go 'borrow back' my tall jack stands before I get started with the front suspension bushings.

I really wish people would return tools, or at least acknowledge that they are aware.

I borrowed a power washer, Because my relief valve STB.

I painted it, installed a new fuel filter, new (foam filled) wheels and new vibration isolating feet.

Bart wasn't unhappy he loaned it to me. :nabble_anim_handshake: :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Lets not get started with the returning thing. Someone might want his EEC-V ECU back.

Lets not get started with the returning thing. Someone might want his EEC-V ECU back.

That's a part, not a tool.

Nobody's ever "borrowed" a part and brought it back.

I've been quite generous out on the field.

People have been given electronics, expensive motors, recovery equipment, etc.

Most have just sent a new one my way.

Well, if you're not going to use it... I personally like the idea of a spare, particularly in Big Blue's case where you will be overlanding. In fact, if you use the stock 1985.5/86 location, you might be able to put a spare pre-flashed one right next to the active one so you would only need to pull the PCM fuse and swap over the 104 pin plug.

That's a part, not a tool.

Nobody's ever "borrowed" a part and brought it back.

I've been quite generous out on the field.

People have been given electronics, expensive motors, recovery equipment, etc.

Most have just sent a new one my way.

Not to "my" truck, but the wife's Flex is technically her truck. A week ago going up US 13 a rock either fell off a dump truck or was picked up by his right rear tires and put a nice star shaped crack in the lower right corner of the windshield. Safelite (USAA's partner) came today and replaced it. Glad I carry only $100 deductible on comprehensive other than collision.

Sunday I had a bit of time from wiring the barn, grading the trail to the paddock and building a picnic table & benches, so I decided to get after my passenger door.

I can't see it in my avatar, but a crack at the vent window pivot (where the tiny 'bridge' is supposed to be) has been letting water in for years.

The bottom is rusted out and the lower rear mirror mount finally gave up.

So I got a 1/4-20 stainless button head screw, fender washer, rubber washer and nyloc nut.

Done!

IMG_20190826_062554.thumb.jpg.556a6fccafdbd655706d642fd7f56b19.jpg

Then I got all :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: on it and pop riveted a piece of sheet metal between the door skin and liner.

I don't care how it looks, the door is shot, I just care that it stops flopping around and that I can put some sealer on it.

.... hmmmm, I needed to get some Eternabond tape and primer for the barn roof anyway. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

IMG_20190826_062554.thumb.jpg.556a6fccafdbd655706d642fd7f56b19.jpg

There is a reason for the crack but you would not see it till you pull everything, glass & vent window, out to see why.

Someone said "bridge" there is a brace that goes between the inner door part and that outer door part.

This brace breaks free from one or the other part and because the mirror is on that outer part with vibration it pulls the panel out & down and the crack starts.

Both of my doors had cracks just not that bad. I welded the brace back in place then welded up the cracks.

You are a day late, taped up for painting or I would have gotten pictures of this brace.

If I can remember after painting I will try and get pictures.

Dave ----

There is a reason for the crack but you would not see it till you pull everything, glass & vent window, out to see why.

Someone said "bridge" there is a brace that goes between the inner door part and that outer door part.

This brace breaks free from one or the other part and because the mirror is on that outer part with vibration it pulls the panel out & down and the crack starts.

Both of my doors had cracks just not that bad. I welded the brace back in place then welded up the cracks.

You are a day late, taped up for painting or I would have gotten pictures of this brace.

If I can remember after painting I will try and get pictures.

Dave ----

Thanks for the offer Dave.

It can never hurt to share the inner workings.

Yup, I had welded the little bridge back in place long before the tear in the door happened.

Just came back again.

Constant vibration and wind buffeting from the mirror is what causes the door skin to crack

Thanks for the offer Dave.

It can never hurt to share the inner workings.

Yup, I had welded the little bridge back in place long before the tear in the door happened.

Just came back again.

Constant vibration and wind buffeting from the mirror is what causes the door skin to crack

I wonder if it broke again?

From what I remember there is not much to this brace and to weld to both brace & doors IIRC.

With all the work I have put into this truck body work wise I hope it does not crack again.

Dave ----