Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Hey everybody on this nasty yucky rainy day. Over the weekend in addition to installing the carpet I also installed a pair of vent visors. I had a set on my Bricknose and forgot how functional these things really are. Rain dosent come in when you crack the window, nor does the wind. Speaking of wind, wind noise is noticably lower. Haven't done any highway driving with them on yet, but our normal driving around town, there is a very noticable difference.

I really cant say enough good things about the carpet I got from stockinteriors.com It fits perfect and nothing needed to be trimmed. I will definately be using them when we start back on the Ranchero in March. They have the crazy super shag carpet that my ranchero has.

Looks good, George. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the vent visors, I'd wondered what difference they make. They were on Big Blue when I got him so I don't have a before & after view. Good to know.

Hey everybody on this nasty yucky rainy day. Over the weekend in addition to installing the carpet I also installed a pair of vent visors. I had a set on my Bricknose and forgot how functional these things really are. Rain dosent come in when you crack the window, nor does the wind. Speaking of wind, wind noise is noticably lower. Haven't done any highway driving with them on yet, but our normal driving around town, there is a very noticable difference.I really cant say enough good things about the carpet I got from stockinteriors.com It fits perfect and nothing needed to be trimmed. I will definately be using them when we start back on the Ranchero in March. They have the crazy super shag carpet that my ranchero has.
Looks great !! I have a set of those visors in a box . Were they hard to install ?

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 6:01 PM 86 1/2 Brutus [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Hey everybody on this nasty yucky rainy day. Over the weekend in addition to installing the carpet I also installed a pair of vent visors. I had a set on my Bricknose and forgot how functional these things really are. Rain dosent come in when you crack the window, nor does the wind. Speaking of wind, wind noise is noticably lower. Haven't done any highway driving with them on yet, but our normal driving around town, there is a very noticable difference.

I really cant say enough good things about the carpet I got from stockinteriors.com It fits perfect and nothing needed to be trimmed. I will definately be using them when we start back on the Ranchero in March. They have the crazy super shag carpet that my ranchero has.

Chrome -in the channel- visors are a darn sight different than stick on poly Ventshades.

I used to have the tinted plastic ones when my dog used to ride with me.

If it was raining, I'd still want the windows open, but would close the slider.

Chrome -in the channel- visors are a darn sight different than stick on poly Ventshades.

I used to have the tinted plastic ones when my dog used to ride with me.

If it was raining, I'd still want the windows open, but would close the slider.

I guess I didn't look at the picture closely enough. Now that I have I see that Brutus has the top chrome ones and Big Blue has the longer ones.

I guess I didn't look at the picture closely enough. Now that I have I see that Brutus has the top chrome ones and Big Blue has the longer ones.

They aren't exactly hard, nor easy to install, more of a pain then anything, but well worth it. How i did mine. You pull the window rubber down. In the instructions it says to pull it down and drill the holes, i didnt exactly like that idea so what i did, i pulled the rubber down, put the visor in, then got the rubber back into place and positioned the visor and made sure the window went up and down correctly. I pulled it back down and ran a bead of clear silicone across the lip of the entire thing and seated it into place then put the rubber channel back in, wiped the silicone off and let it set up. the next morning i pulled the channel down, drilled the holes and put the screws in. the only real pain is the drilling, you have to hold the drill on a strange angle in order to get it to bite into the metal, you could probably get away with just using a center punch, all i did was just score the metal with the drill and the tiny sheetmetal screws went right in. Put the channel back in and hit the road.

Hope it's not a retarded kit.

I got to ask Jim, I don’t know what this means! Once again my ignorance shines through!

Cam timing can be advanced or retarded in relation to the crank.

Fords of this era came from the factory with the cam retarded 4* (8* at the crank) to keep the exhaust valves closed longer, and reduce emissions.

Unfortunately, that also tends to reduce power because it also effects all the other significant cam events like intake opening and closing....

"Stock replacement" timing sets will only have one keyway, and it will be retarded.

A basic performance timing set like I mentioned will typically have three keyways.

The retarded keyway, a '0' keyway (straight up) and an advanced keyway.

Also, a stock type HyVo chain and gears, while being quiet tend to consume a lot more power than one that rolls on and off the sprockets.

Fords of this era came from the factory with the cam retarded 4* (8* at the crank) to keep the exhaust valves closed longer, and reduce emissions.

Unfortunately, that also tends to reduce power because it also effects all the other significant cam events like intake opening and closing....

"Stock replacement" timing sets will only have one keyway, and it will be retarded.

A basic performance timing set like I mentioned will typically have three keyways.

Also, a stock type HyVo chain and gears, while being quiet tend to consume a lot more power than one that rolls on and off the sprockets.

That carpet does look great. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the vents my truck also came with them but were pulled as part of the rebuild.

I still have them as I was thinking of re-installing them but now with the AC working I don't see the need to have the windows open when raining.

Before the AC I had to have the heat going, yes even in the summer, to keep the glass clear what a PITA that was.

I also don't want to drill any holes in the truck after all the work I did to it LOL.

As for the wind noise do you have the rubber strips that fit between the pillar & roof corner and door?

I hear the later 80's trucks had them and people that have installed them say it makes a difference.

I have yet to install mine that came with the rubber seal kit I got off Ebay a while back.

I do get some wind noise but I just turn the radio up more :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Thanks Jim! You are a veritable font of knowledge!

They aren't exactly hard, nor easy to install, more of a pain then anything, but well worth it. How i did mine. You pull the window rubber down. In the instructions it says to pull it down and drill the holes, i didnt exactly like that idea so what i did, i pulled the rubber down, put the visor in, then got the rubber back into place and positioned the visor and made sure the window went up and down correctly. I pulled it back down and ran a bead of clear silicone across the lip of the entire thing and seated it into place then put the rubber channel back in, wiped the silicone off and let it set up. the next morning i pulled the channel down, drilled the holes and put the screws in. the only real pain is the drilling, you have to hold the drill on a strange angle in order to get it to bite into the metal, you could probably get away with just using a center punch, all i did was just score the metal with the drill and the tiny sheetmetal screws went right in. Put the channel back in and hit the road.
Thanks for the detailed response ! As soon as I get a decent day in the 40’s or so I am going to do it. That carpet looks so good also. I was thinking of doing my whole floor this spring in a rubber mat but now I am thinking about new carpet. 

Happy Saturday everyone

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 6:57 PM 86 1/2 Brutus [via Bullnose Enthusiasts Forum] <redacted_email_address> wrote: