Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

took a chance on a Craigslist ad of an '82 Bronco being parted with a blown engine, and came home with this:

Chrome_Guard.jpg.2b9366807ab0a3974a9561023763d508.jpg

A good day! However, it'll have to wait to be installed until I finish my chores I shirked this morning while driving the 150 miles round trip to pick it up.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

took a chance on a Craigslist ad of an '82 Bronco being parted with a blown engine, and came home with this:

A good day! However, it'll have to wait to be installed until I finish my chores I shirked this morning while driving the 150 miles round trip to pick it up.

That's really attractive. Congratulations! :nabble_smiley_good:

We can't have nice things like that up here in the land of snow and salt.

Cool! Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:

Chrome Grille Guard

Nice score on the grille guard!

Any one try to install nutserts with out the tool?

A little looking on Youtube and I think I could install with out the tool.

So I gave it a try and got the 2 I needed to install, installed.

The side panels were on & off, on & off and repeat a few times all to get bolt holes to line up by making holes a little bigger as needed.

Now with all the on & off I may have hurt 1 of the nutserts. Don't know if the bolt was not long enough and pulled the threads out or it is spinning?

The sides will be off at least 1 more time if I am lucky but I think it will more than that and I will check it out then.

I am still waiting for the tail gate and other parts my brother is sending me.

Till then I will fit the left fender on and see what is needed to get the filler necks to work.

Dave ----

Chrome Grille Guard

Nice score on the grille guard!

Any one try to install nutserts with out the tool?

A little looking on Youtube and I think I could install with out the tool.

So I gave it a try and got the 2 I needed to install, installed.

The side panels were on & off, on & off and repeat a few times all to get bolt holes to line up by making holes a little bigger as needed.

Now with all the on & off I may have hurt 1 of the nutserts. Don't know if the bolt was not long enough and pulled the threads out or it is spinning?

The sides will be off at least 1 more time if I am lucky but I think it will more than that and I will check it out then.

I am still waiting for the tail gate and other parts my brother is sending me.

Till then I will fit the left fender on and see what is needed to get the filler necks to work.

Dave ----

I installed the nutserts on my '72 w/o the tool. And they held fine for several years. I drilled the right sized holes and they went in tightly, and the bolts were the right lengths.

You can always put nuts on the backside with washers.

I tried something and it didn't work out too well...

I don't really care for the T19 shifter, and I wanted something more old school with a long shifter cane and a threaded knob. The 2wd T18 shifter that came in the '81 would not switch over. The shifter tip was a good bit longer. But I found a long straight shifter out of an early 70's international that had the right end. Or so I thought. It would only go into 3rd and 4th. It would not shift laterally. Upon closer inspection of the tips I could see that the shoulders above the ball were more square:

image525.jpg.de54c65cacbd24fd10836d6fea7aaaa3.jpg

So I tried to file them down a bit and discovered right away that the shifter steel was as hard as the files I was trying to use. I switched to an abrasive wheel and got them filed down like the T19 shifter.

It shifts into all gears now, but is slightly less smooth than the original cane. Also, 3rd it a fully outstretched arm length away which absolutely will not work for my wife to drive. It also places the cane right against the ash tray even closed. It cannot be open to shift, and I often have it open while driving to run a phone charger into the cigarette lighter.

image669.jpg.5bfce5565e8f89da4cd05c161c512b5f.jpg

Original T19 shifter

image43.jpg.428a87169306a4f42f1666945f5536a9.jpg

image623.jpg.687149f5818ac43607e32ee55da4faf9.jpg

The International cane that isn't working out...

So I'm keeping my eyes out for a different early style BW shifter cane... Just a cosmetic touch I want to change at some point.

I tried something and it didn't work out too well...

I don't really care for the T19 shifter, and I wanted something more old school with a long shifter cane and a threaded knob. The 2wd T18 shifter that came in the '81 would not switch over. The shifter tip was a good bit longer. But I found a long straight shifter out of an early 70's international that had the right end. Or so I thought. It would only go into 3rd and 4th. It would not shift laterally. Upon closer inspection of the tips I could see that the shoulders above the ball were more square:

So I tried to file them down a bit and discovered right away that the shifter steel was as hard as the files I was trying to use. I switched to an abrasive wheel and got them filed down like the T19 shifter.

It shifts into all gears now, but is slightly less smooth than the original cane. Also, 3rd it a fully outstretched arm length away which absolutely will not work for my wife to drive. It also places the cane right against the ash tray even closed. It cannot be open to shift, and I often have it open while driving to run a phone charger into the cigarette lighter.

Original T19 shifter

The International cane that isn't working out...

So I'm keeping my eyes out for a different early style BW shifter cane... Just a cosmetic touch I want to change at some point.

Do you have a MAP gas torch or another way to heat it so you can bend it?

Do you have a MAP gas torch or another way to heat it so you can bend it?

I think I have either a propane or map gas torch, but I was not sure if that would do it. I'm assuming it would have to be cherry red to be able to bend. I have an oxy acetalyne set up but no tanks or gas for it, and I don't think I'll buy all that just for this...

Also it does not shift as it did before. It's rougher, especially upshifting from 1st to 2nd for some reason. As touchy as that shifter tip is, I might be able to improve it with some smoothing and polishing, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Both looked to be in reasonably good shape to me. I thought shifting smoothness would be in the forks and gear set, but evidently the the lever has a lot to do with it as well.

I think I have either a propane or map gas torch, but I was not sure if that would do it. I'm assuming it would have to be cherry red to be able to bend. I have an oxy acetalyne set up but no tanks or gas for it, and I don't think I'll buy all that just for this...

Also it does not shift as it did before. It's rougher, especially upshifting from 1st to 2nd for some reason. As touchy as that shifter tip is, I might be able to improve it with some smoothing and polishing, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Both looked to be in reasonably good shape to me. I thought shifting smoothness would be in the forks and gear set, but evidently the the lever has a lot to do with it as well.

I think MAPP gas would do it, assuming your torch is like mine. But it would take quite a while.

However, if it doesn't shift well then it is a moot point.

I think MAPP gas would do it, assuming your torch is like mine. But it would take quite a while.

However, if it doesn't shift well then it is a moot point.

I played around with the shifter a little bit this afternoon. I removed it and I could see and feel a burr on the shoulder where I had been grinding, so I took off just a shade more and tried to smooth out some roughness to the ball. It was perhaps a little better, but not much difference. Mind you it did not shift horribly, I have definitely dealt with trucks that shifted much worse... but it still wasn't like the original shifter. It has a little something there when you go from 1st to 2nd, especially if you over-rev, but it is still smooth. The international shifter kind of pops in. I don't like it. The T19 already shifts less well than before the fluid change, and any decrease in shifting smoothness is unacceptable. So the original shifter stays for now...