Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

That's my design, and there's no cost known for it. A friend that runs a fab shop was going to make it for me, but he's got cancer and has more serious things to worry about.

The price I mentioned was for the Blue Lake bumper.

Lubed and installed new speedometer cable. Stink'in clip that thwarted my efforts the day before needed some coaxing. Reset my odometer which went better than I thought it would. And lastly, did the head light harness mod with a few minor alterations. The kit I bought was from LMC and I really don't like the headlight plug. I may replace those down the road. But, I have some nice bright headlights now! A couple days ago I replaced the headlight switch and turned the lights on thinking maybe they were a little brighter. But, after replacing the harness, I know they are brighter. Thanks to all for the input!

Oh....also, got the yard mowed, edged, and trimmed. And lastly, fixed a leaky tub faucet to make the wife very happy with me.....:nabble_smiley_happy: Thinking maybe I can spend a little more money on Blackie now!

Lubed and installed new speedometer cable. Stink'in clip that thwarted my efforts the day before needed some coaxing. Reset my odometer which went better than I thought it would. And lastly, did the head light harness mod with a few minor alterations. The kit I bought was from LMC and I really don't like the headlight plug. I may replace those down the road. But, I have some nice bright headlights now! A couple days ago I replaced the headlight switch and turned the lights on thinking maybe they were a little brighter. But, after replacing the harness, I know they are brighter. Thanks to all for the input!

Oh....also, got the yard mowed, edged, and trimmed. And lastly, fixed a leaky tub faucet to make the wife very happy with me.....:nabble_smiley_happy: Thinking maybe I can spend a little more money on Blackie now!

George - Isn't it amazing how much better a vehicle "feels" when you get a good exhaust system on it? And the painted gauge needles make a huge difference as well. You are going to be soooooo happy!

John - Glad you got the clip off and the odo reset. But the lights will make the biggest difference of all. Amazing how much difference the relay harness makes. :nabble_smiley_good:

George - Isn't it amazing how much better a vehicle "feels" when you get a good exhaust system on it? And the painted gauge needles make a huge difference as well. You are going to be soooooo happy!

John - Glad you got the clip off and the odo reset. But the lights will make the biggest difference of all. Amazing how much difference the relay harness makes. :nabble_smiley_good:

There is nothing quite like being inside the truck and all you can hear is the ac blowing, not smelling any exhaust and having gauge needles you can actually see

There is nothing quite like being inside the truck and all you can hear is the ac blowing, not smelling any exhaust and having gauge needles you can actually see

Before work today, yep the pipe line were we get the LP gas from was down for 3 days over 4 days so we had to play catch up.

I fixed the exhaust leak, the adaptors I used to join the Y pipe to the mid pipe came off the Y pipe, if it happens again I will put a weld tack on it.

I also fixed the rattle from the rear suspension, someone did not tighten the shocks but thought they were checked when the front ones made noise :nabble_anim_confused:

I see a PS fitting at the box is leaking, did not have time before work so will look at it tomorrow.

Then depending how I feel may check timing and if really into it pop the top off the carb and see if I can adjust the rod / seat to lean it out.

Dave ----

Before work today, yep the pipe line were we get the LP gas from was down for 3 days over 4 days so we had to play catch up.

I fixed the exhaust leak, the adaptors I used to join the Y pipe to the mid pipe came off the Y pipe, if it happens again I will put a weld tack on it.

I also fixed the rattle from the rear suspension, someone did not tighten the shocks but thought they were checked when the front ones made noise :nabble_anim_confused:

I see a PS fitting at the box is leaking, did not have time before work so will look at it tomorrow.

Then depending how I feel may check timing and if really into it pop the top off the carb and see if I can adjust the rod / seat to lean it out.

Dave ----

Dave, some of the YFAs have a small round plug in the air filter flange, it is for the final mixture tweak during bench flow testing. With it removed a small skinny Phillips head screw driver can access the screw on the metering rod hanger, counterclockwise for lean, clockwise for rich. If you can find something to cover the hole then you can drive it, adjust it and drive it some more. I would start with 1/2 turn CCW and go in 1/2 turn increments until it feels sluggish or spark knocks at light throttle, then go back 1/4 turn and recheck.

Dave, some of the YFAs have a small round plug in the air filter flange, it is for the final mixture tweak during bench flow testing. With it removed a small skinny Phillips head screw driver can access the screw on the metering rod hanger, counterclockwise for lean, clockwise for rich. If you can find something to cover the hole then you can drive it, adjust it and drive it some more. I would start with 1/2 turn CCW and go in 1/2 turn increments until it feels sluggish or spark knocks at light throttle, then go back 1/4 turn and recheck.

Used my truck to move some produce.

With the trailer and three pallets of produce, 35 boxes each pallet, I estimate it was 4500-5000 pounds.

Man this truck has some grunt! This was the first time I’ve really had a load behind it.

Put a lot of work into this truck and it’s nice to be impressed by it. Hoping to encourage someone.

Didn’t think it was worth mentioning, but after hearing Gary’s truck run, and the work many have put into theirs, it’s great to keep this era on the road.

With the trailer and three pallets of produce, 35 boxes each pallet, I estimate it was 4500-5000 pounds.

Man this truck has some grunt! This was the first time I’ve really had a load behind it.

Put a lot of work into this truck and it’s nice to be impressed by it. Hoping to encourage someone.

Didn’t think it was worth mentioning, but after hearing Gary’s truck run, and the work many have put into theirs, it’s great to keep this era on the road.

You must've been hungry Dane!

Are you inviting us to dinner?

Really though, I'm glad to hear it's working so well for you! :nabble_smiley_good:

George - Yes, a nice tight cab is a wonder, and gauges you can see at night are a huge blessing. Makes a truck feel solid.

Dave - I feel for you on that "someone forgot to tighten the shocks". Been there, done similarly very very recently. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Bill - How much interaction is there between AFR and ignition timing? IOW, you mentioned spark knock due to being too lean, but you can get there with timing as well. So is it better to be a bit more rich so you can have more advance? Or?

Dane - These trucks can do amazing things with the right setup. Glad you are getting to use yours.

George - Yes, a nice tight cab is a wonder, and gauges you can see at night are a huge blessing. Makes a truck feel solid.

Dave - I feel for you on that "someone forgot to tighten the shocks". Been there, done similarly very very recently. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Bill - How much interaction is there between AFR and ignition timing? IOW, you mentioned spark knock due to being too lean, but you can get there with timing as well. So is it better to be a bit more rich so you can have more advance? Or?

Dane - These trucks can do amazing things with the right setup. Glad you are getting to use yours.

Gary,

You tune mixture for power or economy... or somewhere in between.

Then there's octane.

You then set your advance curve to take advantage of it.

I'm on the jagged edge of knock with a rich carb and can't run 87, sometimes not even 89 R+M/2

Gary,

You tune mixture for power or economy... or somewhere in between.

Then there's octane.

You then set your advance curve to take advantage of it.

I'm on the jagged edge of knock with a rich carb and can't run 87, sometimes not even 89 R+M/2

I'm sure you've seen the directions for a Crane Cams adjustable advance pot.