Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jim - I'm just trying to make it easy. And, I like dual exhaust. But with the to-be large rear tank I don't see having them exit on opposite sides. So, using the Magnaflow 2-in/2-out looks to be an easy way to do that.

If you're trying to make it easy go with a big 2x 2 1/2" in/single 3"out muffler like I have.

BearRiver makes them in stainless (in a few lengths)

Mine is a Walker from their heavy duty line.

14Ga., fully welded with dome ends intended for an IH school bus.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you're trying to make it easy go with a big 2x 2 1/2" in/single 3"out muffler like I have.

BearRiver makes them in stainless (in a few lengths)

Mine is a Walker from their heavy duty line.

14Ga., fully welded with dome ends intended for an IH school bus.

I think I'll just have someone put flanges on so I can bolt it up and see how loud the glasspacks are. Then I can change the muffler easily if I don't like it.

I think I'll just have someone put flanges on so I can bolt it up and see how loud the glasspacks are. Then I can change the muffler easily if I don't like it.

If you put flanges onto what's left, where will the muffler(s) be if you decide to change them?

Under the passenger's feet?

Or is that cut at the back of the cab?

Darth's muffler is all the way back just forward of the rear axle. Dual to it, big single out and still the original 32 year old one!

After work and a few honey do's I did a little work on the bed.

The last time I prepped the bottom so I just gave it a quick wipe down before I painted it.

20180203_184150.jpg.875deb5fe18320dbb15b76bbf72d138b.jpg

It was about 46* in the garage with the sun out. I did start the heater to get the chill out but about half way thru painting it was getting cold. Needless to say I need to get my 40# LP tank filled before I work in that cold garage again.

The good thing of it being cold when painting once the paint was brushed on it would flow out and not show brush marks.

I don't think the paint will be dry enough by tomorrow to flip the bed over and place it on the truck giving me more room in that bay to work on the bed sides.

Dave ----

After work and a few honey do's I did a little work on the bed.

The last time I prepped the bottom so I just gave it a quick wipe down before I painted it.

It was about 46* in the garage with the sun out. I did start the heater to get the chill out but about half way thru painting it was getting cold. Needless to say I need to get my 40# LP tank filled before I work in that cold garage again.

The good thing of it being cold when painting once the paint was brushed on it would flow out and not show brush marks.

I don't think the paint will be dry enough by tomorrow to flip the bed over and place it on the truck giving me more room in that bay to work on the bed sides.

Dave ----

Bill - That's roughly where these mufflers are/were. And I'm pretty sure I won't like the glasspacks. We are planning on taking Big Blue on some cross-country trips and I don't want the drone they frequently give. However, I do like a bit of growl, so have grown fond of the Magnaflow sound. We shall see.

Dave - Will your paint fully cure at those temps? It looks good, but if it doesn't cure can you top-coat it?

Bill - That's roughly where these mufflers are/were. And I'm pretty sure I won't like the glasspacks. We are planning on taking Big Blue on some cross-country trips and I don't want the drone they frequently give. However, I do like a bit of growl, so have grown fond of the Magnaflow sound. We shall see.

Dave - Will your paint fully cure at those temps? It looks good, but if it doesn't cure can you top-coat it?

Day off from work, rain & cement don't mix!

First order was to flip the bed floor right side up and place it back on the truck to give me a bay to work on the bed sides.

Made 3 more "lips" and squared the holes for the carriage bolts before I welded 2 of the 4 lips on the side panels.

20180207_165351.jpg.b7447879d43b304c09e9fd0c43a56344.jpg

20180207_165335.jpg.e81d26f52d32bf4012439f4eae372424.jpg

After I get the other 2 lips welded on I will make sheet metal strips to fit between the lips and the lower flat panels, see the 2nd picture, that were rusted out.

I also took a picture of the front panel I welded a lip on the bottom. Need to clean the welds up a little more before I hit it with a little filler.

20180207_165427.jpg.ff77f1138dc1a84068a3c255bede7c80.jpg

Gary, a few days and it was dry. I did not re-coat as I felt the 1 heavy coat was good enough. By the time that floor rusts out I hope to have enough money for the right wood floor. LOL

Dave ----

Day off from work, rain & cement don't mix!

First order was to flip the bed floor right side up and place it back on the truck to give me a bay to work on the bed sides.

Made 3 more "lips" and squared the holes for the carriage bolts before I welded 2 of the 4 lips on the side panels.

After I get the other 2 lips welded on I will make sheet metal strips to fit between the lips and the lower flat panels, see the 2nd picture, that were rusted out.

I also took a picture of the front panel I welded a lip on the bottom. Need to clean the welds up a little more before I hit it with a little filler.

Gary, a few days and it was dry. I did not re-coat as I felt the 1 heavy coat was good enough. By the time that floor rusts out I hope to have enough money for the right wood floor. LOL

Dave ----

Well done. And, I'm glad it cured properly. This thing sure is taking a lot of work, but will be well worth it in the end.

Well done. And, I'm glad it cured properly. This thing sure is taking a lot of work, but will be well worth it in the end.

Bill - I really like the detail you are including on Darth's write up. When people ask what it takes you'll have the answer. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did today (neatly dodging the "to" my truck aspect of the title), I designed a gauge interface to adapt Bricknose sending units to Bullnose gauges. And then tried to explain how it'll work. Several times. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Then I did a bunch of media-blasting for parts for Dad's truck as well as for a friend. Not much to show there yet, but here's a before/after on the two stub axles that I blasted. Hopefully I'll get some powder coating done tomorrow.

Before_and_After_On_Axles.thumb.jpg.0be70f1e710d33972f13c9053baedfd5.jpg