Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

$1.98 is the lowest I've seen around the Chicago area. That's a drop from about $2.65 -$3.00 a few weeks ago

I wonder how low it will go? I mean the tanks have to be stuffed full everywhere by now. The price has to have a floor, but I wonder if they'll keep dropping it to try and keep it moving...

I saw $1.749/gal., this morning. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Right

But refineries are like nuclear reactors.

Shutdowns, and recomissioning are time consuming and incredibly expensive.

Idle along, if you can, but stopping is another matter.

Obviously we need another war to keep the economy in the black.

(I wish that were a joke)

1.37 a gallon here and 1.07 a gallon in Paris, TN 15 miles from me. It will go back up that much is for sure and I don't expect it to get much cheaper. In fact, I didn't think it would get that low.

1.37 a gallon here and 1.07 a gallon in Paris, TN 15 miles from me. It will go back up that much is for sure and I don't expect it to get much cheaper. In fact, I didn't think it would get that low.

Spent the last few days cleaning up old parts and tearing down my 400. My suspicion is confirmed, flat cam lobe which was entirely fault.

The headers I wire wheeled with a drill, hand sanded with 80 grit and then primed and painted with VHT 2000 degree paint. The intake manifold I degreased with Purple Power, scrubbed down with a wire brush on a drill and by hand, cleaned with water and dried, then painted with Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel.

Also traded a Wieand 1994 tunnel ram for a 4v Cleveland for a pair of NOS never installed gold anodized aluminum Moroso valve covers.

20200324_180818.jpg.c8259d2a7990ff899aa19317a347f5f3.jpg20200324_190215.jpg.2c6ba28f4f857545106162f8f84f2ab5.jpg20200324_201447.jpg.90538e50cb7be72de351b180d27e2ad9.jpg20200312_194725.jpg.b5c175bdfc8bf1190ba708aaafca3612.jpg20200312_214918.jpg.0b30885dccf61131dcd8f6ab73a4c967.jpg20200312_220451.jpg.93e5711d526b8e4e964bab7390afd8d5.jpg

20200305_155813.jpg.59e5a99421223146b93511faa296de4c.jpgreceived_629916877573924.jpeg.dd6ef2ff33ed1b56a41aecf05049f802.jpeg

Not sure why half the photos are sideways, they arent on my phone.

Spent the last few days cleaning up old parts and tearing down my 400. My suspicion is confirmed, flat cam lobe which was entirely fault.

The headers I wire wheeled with a drill, hand sanded with 80 grit and then primed and painted with VHT 2000 degree paint. The intake manifold I degreased with Purple Power, scrubbed down with a wire brush on a drill and by hand, cleaned with water and dried, then painted with Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel.

Also traded a Wieand 1994 tunnel ram for a 4v Cleveland for a pair of NOS never installed gold anodized aluminum Moroso valve covers.

The parts look good. How long do you think that VHT paint will hold up? The cam lobe is a good and bad, good you found the problem but bad you have to get another one. Nice score on the aluminum valve covers.

Angelo - Your phone is smart and reads the orientation data embedded in the pic's metadata and then rotates the pic. This forum, like many forums, isn't and doesn't. So you have to open the pic in picture editing software and then save it. That usually causes the software to reorient the pic and all is well. But not always.

On the cam, if you had a flat lobe and yet it was running that well, think how it is going to run with a good cam! What cam are you planning on using?

And the parts really cleaned up nicely. The engine is going to be both strong and pretty. :nabble_smiley_good:

The parts look good. How long do you think that VHT paint will hold up? The

cam lobe is a good and bad, good you found the problem but bad you have to

get another one. Nice score on the aluminum valve covers.

I've had 500 degree enamel hold up over a summer on the flanges of those headers before so I am hoping a year or so before I replace them with new ones.

Gary I was planning on putting the same cam back in it. It ran great before the lobe flattened and then it ran like total garbage. Problem is I cannot figure out what the specs are. Seems like a ghost cam, theres no markings that cross over. I emailed the manufacturer tonight so I am hoping I hear something.

Nice job Angelo! :nabble_smiley_good:

My fingers are stiff just looking at your pics.

A lot of handwork prepping parts like that.

Good luck finding the right cam.

It's going to be so nice when it's back together and under power.

I am really regretting that I did not paint my intake on the 2 occasions I pulled it off. It didn't eve cross my mind...

Looks really good!!

Thanks guys! I'm having a hell of a time finding the grind information on this cam. The manufacturer I have figured out was CWC Textron, who apparently casts 90% of camshafts in general. There is no other markings other than various casting numbers and a grind number on the end of the shaft, and nothing cross references on the internet. I sent them an email, hoping I get some kind of response. I loved the way that thing ran and I'd like to know the specs. I've think I've found something very close, but I need to mic the lobes again.

The hand prepping wasn't too terrible, I think I've got about 8-10 hours in all those from start to finish. I wasn't sure how to get the shine of the aluminum back without glass bead blasting it, so I stopped at work and picked up some aluminum paint and I have to say I am impressed with how good it looks. Just don't get any brake cleaner on it!

Thanks guys! I'm having a hell of a time finding the grind information on this cam. The manufacturer I have figured out was CWC Textron, who apparently casts 90% of camshafts in general. There is no other markings other than various casting numbers and a grind number on the end of the shaft, and nothing cross references on the internet. I sent them an email, hoping I get some kind of response. I loved the way that thing ran and I'd like to know the specs. I've think I've found something very close, but I need to mic the lobes again.

The hand prepping wasn't too terrible, I think I've got about 8-10 hours in all those from start to finish. I wasn't sure how to get the shine of the aluminum back without glass bead blasting it, so I stopped at work and picked up some aluminum paint and I have to say I am impressed with how good it looks. Just don't get any brake cleaner on it!

Did you "cook" the intake before painting it?

I say this because oil will get into the pours of the alum. and look clean. Then you paint it put it on the motor and as soon as it heats up the oil will come out pushing the paint off.

You want to run the manifold thru a few bake cyl.of heat & cool to get all the oil off. Wash with carb or brake clean and bake again.

Think I did 350* for 15 min. let cool and repeat 3 times before I was happy.

A final clean with brake / carb cleaner let sit for an hour and paint.

10_Offy_Manifold003.jpg.c0c56ed08c35802947c4bd8e50c9e142.jpg

Oh and if using the hose oven use it when the wife will be out for a long time so you can air the house out as it will stink when baking.

Dave ----