Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Quite Interesting.

I bought armrests in black from LMC, they didn't hurt as much as painted to match.

Just a parts day, but I got a new instrument cluster(click here) ordered that has a trip odometer and 6k tach. I'll swap out the block out plate for the gear selector since I have a manual, the entire cluster was the same price or less than many of the tachs for sale. I also ordered the LEDs for the cluster, transmission mount, and the clutch master cylinder and hose. I had already purchased a new slave cylinder, but decided to just do it all at once.

Just a parts day, but I got a new instrument cluster(click here) ordered that has a trip odometer and 6k tach. I'll swap out the block out plate for the gear selector since I have a manual, the entire cluster was the same price or less than many of the tachs for sale. I also ordered the LEDs for the cluster, transmission mount, and the clutch master cylinder and hose. I had already purchased a new slave cylinder, but decided to just do it all at once.

Nice find and it appears the needles have already been repainted. :nabble_smiley_good:

Nice find and it appears the needles have already been repainted. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks. I've been sitting on it for awhile, and frankly, I'm surprised it didn't sell a long time ago. I almost ordered paint for them, but rechecked the listing and decided to wait. It appears to be in great condition.

That's a good buy! Looks very nice. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's a good buy! Looks very nice. :nabble_smiley_good:

Took the truck to work for the last time this year. Truck runs great but I am not happy how fast the 16 gallon gas tank gauge moves off full.

Gauge was over full when I left and it is about 60 miles round trip, it is now on half a tank. You can watch it drop as you drive.

The first MPG reading I got on the truck was around 12 MPG, not bad but not great for a straight six.

Last Sunday I installed the head light relay harness and gave a few turns on the head light adjusters to raise them some as they were to low for my liking.

Because I left at 2am, read still dark out, I was able to "test" the head lights and got to say they work pretty good on low and crazy bright!

Anyone thinking of doing the head light relay harness DON'T THINK just do it.

Dave ----

Took the truck to work for the last time this year. Truck runs great but I am not happy how fast the 16 gallon gas tank gauge moves off full.

Gauge was over full when I left and it is about 60 miles round trip, it is now on half a tank. You can watch it drop as you drive.

The first MPG reading I got on the truck was around 12 MPG, not bad but not great for a straight six.

Dave ----

The gauge may not be reading correctly. :nabble_anim_confused:

My 16 gallon tank gauge does the exact same thing Dave. Once it gets below about half way on the gauge, it slows right down. The last quarter moves even slower. I had to bend the float arm in mine to even get it to read full at all, so I know it's not 100% perfect. However, it does read full, and it does read empty, so I can live with that. I try to monitor my miles traveled anyway, so that will keep me in check regardless.

My 16 gallon tank gauge does the exact same thing Dave. Once it gets below about half way on the gauge, it slows right down. The last quarter moves even slower. I had to bend the float arm in mine to even get it to read full at all, so I know it's not 100% perfect. However, it does read full, and it does read empty, so I can live with that. I try to monitor my miles traveled anyway, so that will keep me in check regardless.

Spent the last few hours of 2019 pulling the transmission out of my daily. On the way home the truck was making a rattle sound with the clutch depressed, but it would go away when I released the clutch. I have New Year's Day off, so figured I would remove the transmission tonight and inspect everything tomorrow. Preliminary inspection shows no broken pressure plate fingers, no audible sound from the throwout bearing when spun by hand, no sounds coming from the transmission itself (noise was definitely in the bellhousing), and the pilot bearing doesn't look any different than when I put it in. I'll pull the rest tomorrow and hopefully something stands out because I thought it was gonna be the pilot bearing.

I also need to buy stock in degreaser because this thing is gross. I'll be looking at the rear main while I'm in there. I replaced it in 2014, but that means nothing in a world of cheap parts made in Asia.

81922518_2711504168963231_7181666509867974656_o.thumb.jpg.15dbf52ff45aae64a2040b904d73c792.jpg

Spent the last few hours of 2019 pulling the transmission out of my daily. On the way home the truck was making a rattle sound with the clutch depressed, but it would go away when I released the clutch. I have New Year's Day off, so figured I would remove the transmission tonight and inspect everything tomorrow. Preliminary inspection shows no broken pressure plate fingers, no audible sound from the throwout bearing when spun by hand, no sounds coming from the transmission itself (noise was definitely in the bellhousing), and the pilot bearing doesn't look any different than when I put it in. I'll pull the rest tomorrow and hopefully something stands out because I thought it was gonna be the pilot bearing.

I also need to buy stock in degreaser because this thing is gross. I'll be looking at the rear main while I'm in there. I replaced it in 2014, but that means nothing in a world of cheap parts made in Asia.

Shaun, you got a treat there....

When dealing with inside bellhousing -if I can't use Bill's Steam Jenny- I start with Purple Power or Lye and an engine brush, face shield and gauntlet rubber gloves from the feed supply.

I guess you can swap the RMS from outside?

Don't know what you drive everyday, but I wish I could in my 460.

Check for scoring.

So, what do you think?

Cracked pressure plate?

Friction coming loose?

I'd change the release bearing as a matter of course if I was in that deep.

Good luck buddy!

I'm sure you'll sort it out, but nobody likes surprises that involve headaches like that.

Spent the last few hours of 2019 pulling the transmission out of my daily.

Shaun,

So that is the M5OD-R1, right? It looks almost the same as the M5OD-R2. I see you have a short shifter on there like a Hurst or Cores? How do you like it?

Can't help with your current issue, but curious what fluid you're running in that trans?

My M5OD is notchy to shift until it gets good and warmed up. I currently just have regular old ATF in it...nothing special. Wondering if there was a better fluid that would make the thing behave a little better.