Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Sunday I got the front running boards on the bed bolted up and did the same to the front bed side braces to front cross member.

Running board bracket to front bed cross member.

Front side brace to front cross member.

Cant tell you how many times I have been up & down off the creeper last 2 days. Because of that, that is all I had in me for the day.

I did check over my parts truck scrap metal pile for metal I can use to repair the lower part of the beds front panel. Think I can use 1 of the style side cross members cut down to fix it.

Also think I can use the cabs rear wall for a tail gate. Should be big enough just don't know if strong enough once it is cut away from the main cab.

Dave ----

Little of what I have been working on at the rear of the bed.

The part with the bolt thru it is the style side (SS) rear cross member (CM) and bed mount.

The other part at the top of the picture with the triangle is part of the flare side (FS) rear CM and bed side brace, it is bolted to the side panel. I will get some metal and weld the SS CM and the FS CM part together at the bed bolt plate.

The bolt plate also needs to be welded to the rear panel that the plate is next to.

20171112_125739.jpg.1d9df90f32e1eee4bb013d493fdb70a9.jpg

20171112_125657-01.jpg.2d7e8c95eaa7400b2a3852f7f6251c42.jpg

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Little of what I have been working on at the rear of the bed.

The part with the bolt thru it is the style side (SS) rear cross member (CM) and bed mount.

The other part at the top of the picture with the triangle is part of the flare side (FS) rear CM and bed side brace, it is bolted to the side panel. I will get some metal and weld the SS CM and the FS CM part together at the bed bolt plate.

The bolt plate also needs to be welded to the rear panel that the plate is next to.

Dave ----

I'm impressed! At this rate you are going to have it painted by the end of the year. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm impressed! At this rate you are going to have it painted by the end of the year. :nabble_smiley_good:

I had no work on Friday and with the weekend I was able to spend a lot of time on the truck.

I also don't think I will have work today so get more time with the truck bed.

Painting would be nice but it has gotten colder here and no heat in the garage.

Yesterday morning it was about 37* OAT, in my garage was 40*! It did get up to low 50*'s by after noon when the sun came out to heat the roof.

I can get the under side of the bed floor cleaned & painted but the cab & bed side panels paint will have to wait.

Besides I still have welding on the bed side panels and body work to the hood so have a lot to keep me working if not too cold in the garage.

Dave ----

I had no work on Friday and with the weekend I was able to spend a lot of time on the truck.

I also don't think I will have work today so get more time with the truck bed.

Painting would be nice but it has gotten colder here and no heat in the garage.

Yesterday morning it was about 37* OAT, in my garage was 40*! It did get up to low 50*'s by after noon when the sun came out to heat the roof.

I can get the under side of the bed floor cleaned & painted but the cab & bed side panels paint will have to wait.

Besides I still have welding on the bed side panels and body work to the hood so have a lot to keep me working if not too cold in the garage.

Dave ----

Dave & Jim - I’m expecting good reports today. 😉

As for me, not so much. Healthcare call sometime after 2:30 so I’m in and cleaned up. 😩 But, I did talk to NumberDummy this morning, and on his advice talked to Green Sales re XLS-style trim - to no avail.

Then a bit of research on the transmission indicator, as reported elsewhere. But finally I got to the “huck” and drained the engine oil. I’ve seen black oil before, but maybe not quite that black. Then I took a look at the massive pan on the E4OD and, realizing my drain’s container is almost full, moved on to the t-case. The drain plug’s 3/8” recess is quasi-stripped, but I got it out and the BW1356 drained - and the fluid was reasonably red.

Then, I removed the drive shafts, linkage, electrical connections, and the speedo connection and started pulling the t-case retaining bolts out. Judging by the RTV at the joint the t-case has been off, so it may be rebuilt.

Anyway, at that point I was out of time, but hope to get the t-case off tomorrow.

Dave & Jim - I’m expecting good reports today. 😉

As for me, not so much. Healthcare call sometime after 2:30 so I’m in and cleaned up. 😩 But, I did talk to NumberDummy this morning, and on his advice talked to Green Sales re XLS-style trim - to no avail.

Then a bit of research on the transmission indicator, as reported elsewhere. But finally I got to the “huck” and drained the engine oil. I’ve seen black oil before, but maybe not quite that black. Then I took a look at the massive pan on the E4OD and, realizing my drain’s container is almost full, moved on to the t-case. The drain plug’s 3/8” recess is quasi-stripped, but I got it out and the BW1356 drained - and the fluid was reasonably red.

Then, I removed the drive shafts, linkage, electrical connections, and the speedo connection and started pulling the t-case retaining bolts out. Judging by the RTV at the joint the t-case has been off, so it may be rebuilt.

Anyway, at that point I was out of time, but hope to get the t-case off tomorrow.

I did make some progress.

Not too much more, with a bent burr.

And I definitely need some longer ones.

Amazon has burrs, Prime, so I'm going to be waiting.

I did make some progress.

Not too much more, with a bent burr.

And I definitely need some longer ones.

Amazon has burrs, Prime, so I'm going to be waiting.

Had one of them days I should have stayed out of the garage, see below pictures.

20171113_154510.jpg.adfc7dd8e3ff119045fac3112602a660.jpg

20171113_154542.jpg.bae26b23d63dd4a7d6cfa71b7680fa99.jpg

The chicken poop of a weld is the rear cross member to side panel bracket and the rear panel.

At first I thought it was just not clean metal and I was working over head.

Not so, when I went to turn off the welder and gas I found what I didn't do......yep turn on the gas!

When I have the floor striped down to clean & paint I will recheck the welds and fix if need be.

When I got over that I worked on the rear floor over hang.

Took Sawzall to trim most of the over hang then took grinder to the rest.

20171113_154438.jpg.912196fc3915b2282ce88efc1cbab84d.jpg

And set the clamps so it is ready for welding.

20171113_160658.jpg.9df98ff9058f4f37a56c599561d0f4d7.jpg

Dave ----

Had one of them days I should have stayed out of the garage, see below pictures.

The chicken poop of a weld is the rear cross member to side panel bracket and the rear panel.

At first I thought it was just not clean metal and I was working over head.

Not so, when I went to turn off the welder and gas I found what I didn't do......yep turn on the gas!

When I have the floor striped down to clean & paint I will recheck the welds and fix if need be.

When I got over that I worked on the rear floor over hang.

Took Sawzall to trim most of the over hang then took grinder to the rest.

And set the clamps so it is ready for welding.

Dave ----

Yep, I kinda thought you forgot the gas. Don't ask why I know. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Aren't you glad you didn't start the rear floor welding. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There'll be days like this. And, in this case, my daddy said.

Yep, I kinda thought you forgot the gas. Don't ask why I know. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Gary,

I had mail when I got home last night.

The dash pad piece is perfect for paint! :nabble_anim_jump:

Unfortunately the little square box didn't fare so well.

The seat belt (& little bungee! :nabble_smiley_good:) seem fine, but I'll have to check out the switch and especially the governor that says "DO NOT DROP"

Longer burrs shipped by Amazon.

I banged up a few seats with the collet trying to reach deeper into the ports.

I did manage to finish the vacuum adapter.

That will be a big help if my little generator can keep everything running.

Gary,

I had mail when I got home last night.

The dash pad piece is perfect for paint! :nabble_anim_jump:

Unfortunately the little square box didn't fare so well.

The seat belt (& little bungee! :nabble_smiley_good:) seem fine, but I'll have to check out the switch and especially the governor that says "DO NOT DROP"

Longer burrs shipped by Amazon.

I banged up a few seats with the collet trying to reach deeper into the ports.

I did manage to finish the vacuum adapter.

That will be a big help if my little generator can keep everything running.

Glad the pad made it and is a good match. Sorry about the box, though. I thought I had it packed tightly enough that they wouldn’t hurt it. 😩

Yes, it is hard to reach in deeply w/o touching a seat. Longer burrs are a big help - if you don’t bend one. At that point things get wild.

Anyway, doing the vacuum adapter should be a big help. I’m curious what it’ll look like and how well it works.

I think if it was the rear floor to rear panel I think I may have checked it out as I would have been sitting on a roll around stool.

Doing the welding from the under side I was on the creeper and had already been up & down off it a whole bunch just measuring, cutting and clamping the parts.

Call it lazy not to look into why the bad welds.

Dave ----