Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

LOL! That's a true donor truck, with almost every part of it going to a good use.

I wish I could find someone for the 10 bolt, disc brake, dually, superduty rear.

Those are rare as hens teeth, and worth some $

But as heavy as it is there's no sending It anywhere.

Yesterday got more done on the bed floor.

After cleaning the brace & floor for welding I put the floor back on the truck and found did not clean enough and had to lift it up to do more cleaning. Tacked the brace to the floor and pulled floor off so I could weld the brace to the floor.

Setup for welding.

20171028_112716.jpg.99cc0e4c9f2231b3a212a35d30e6998d.jpg

I then was able to trim the front of the floor as it was real close to the cab.

Did I tell you I have been doing this by my self?

This is how you get the bed on & off truck.

20171028_084423.jpg.be89900fac2c03204125db754c6bb9e8.jpg

It was time to put the old flare side bed panels together so I can see how much of the floor had to be "trimmed".

20171028_134033.jpg.bf92b4ceaa7b9b965ce9a729dc81274d.jpg

20171028_134011.jpg.1ca83f72f73cf6b0b5fdf4901746e482.jpg

More trimming to get the panels to side on the mounting lips.

20171028_200016.jpg.08749d17d23851c7fd313b5fdab4ca12.jpg

20171028_200718.jpg.4847fe371b1d9317870bf60f2aef3964.jpg

20171028_200041.jpg.b376e40a879211e2f2bdda503f1bc483.jpg

The style side floor seams to be just a little longer than the flare side as the front/rear lips show but can be dealt with easily.

front lip about 1.5 inches

20171028_200147.jpg.0d46894cb41b2cdf2b451447f63f9a17.jpg

rear about 2.5 inches

20171028_200103.jpg.9163a9e073be52b0d4198e39658b849f.jpg

Still have some final centering, squaring & trimming then will drill a few holes and put bolts thru to bolt the sides to the floor and fit it to the truck to see how it all fits.

Then take it all apart to clean & paint the floor and fix the rusted panel lips.

How I left it last night.

20171028_200338.jpg.536a94304fe8ccc7d7d16b8b9c431835.jpg

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday got more done on the bed floor.

After cleaning the brace & floor for welding I put the floor back on the truck and found did not clean enough and had to lift it up to do more cleaning. Tacked the brace to the floor and pulled floor off so I could weld the brace to the floor.

Setup for welding.

I then was able to trim the front of the floor as it was real close to the cab.

Did I tell you I have been doing this by my self?

This is how you get the bed on & off truck.

It was time to put the old flare side bed panels together so I can see how much of the floor had to be "trimmed".

More trimming to get the panels to side on the mounting lips.

The style side floor seams to be just a little longer than the flare side as the front/rear lips show but can be dealt with easily.

front lip about 1.5 inches

rear about 2.5 inches

Still have some final centering, squaring & trimming then will drill a few holes and put bolts thru to bolt the sides to the floor and fit it to the truck to see how it all fits.

Then take it all apart to clean & paint the floor and fix the rusted panel lips.

How I left it last night.

Dave ----

Today's the day to get this engine out of my truck.

Can't find a cherry picker sooooo....

IMG_20171029_075450.thumb.jpg.58fa7ea189eceba5ac54c109bbe703f2.jpg

The weather sucks today.

IMG_20171029_080915.jpg.f61c8907b5a25ad398cab5c839ab6531.jpg

Think the throw out bearing was a little dry???

IMG_20171029_080055.thumb.jpg.f5e0c787d6c815c067e6bcdf17e7fd54.jpg

Today's the day to get this engine out of my truck.

Can't find a cherry picker sooooo....

The weather sucks today.

Think the throw out bearing was a little dry???

We use this forklift to move the containers around.

I think it'll have no problem with the 460.

IMG_20171029_075512.thumb.jpg.bd7ff9576871b1597662d49d9e167068.jpg

Gary's pile with the cleaned up cross member.

IMG_20171029_081016.thumb.jpg.d85f0d62740dcaa92f94ddc4ed820dfe.jpg

Bill's dash all wrapped up

IMG_20171029_080947.thumb.jpg.eed688e73921b06ea225c1da3498967a.jpg

No, it doesn't look that good. The grille is floating, meaning it isn't secured so is probably busted. As for the headlights, the passenger's side is a fishbowl - literally has water sloshing around in it. But I will look further tomorrow.

Gary, thought for you while you are stripping the 90 parts truck. Pull the frame perches for the 460 off, two reasons, this will give you a known good pair for Big Blue if the ones on there are bent from loose/missing bolts and maybe a better setup for Prashant's F150.

We use this forklift to move the containers around.

I think it'll have no problem with the 460.

Gary's pile with the cleaned up cross member.

Bill's dash all wrapped up

Dave - You gotten a lot done, in spite of working by yourself. And you’ve come up with an ingenious way of doing it and it seems to work well - albeit slowly. 👍 Also, I think you’ve answered my question about bolting - you are bolting it long enough to test-fit it, but then welding it? Will you use weld-through primer?

Jim - We get that kind of weather once a year or so. You saw the awful conditions I had to work in yesterday. The searing sun, the mind-numbing endless blue sky. 😈

Seriously though, I know you’d have had the engine out long ago if it hadn’t been for pulling parts for others - like me. So I appreciate it and hope the weather isn’t too miserable. And, before you ship I want to get you some money so you aren’t holding that bag as shipping is going to be expensive.

Gary, thought for you while you are stripping the 90 parts truck. Pull the frame perches for the 460 off, two reasons, this will give you a known good pair for Big Blue if the ones on there are bent from loose/missing bolts and maybe a better setup for Prashant's F150.

Bill - Good idea!

And, speaking of Prashant, he called last evening. He will report this when he can, but he’s off to India for three months in a day or so. Anyway, he has his F150 going again. The ZF5 had gone out and he fought with whomever had build it for him, to no avail. You may remember he took it to Midwest while he was on his way with a trailer to pick up the F350 he bought. Midwest rebuilt the ZF and shipped it back to him and he got it installed and the transfer case rebuilt.

But, he had an interesting learning while filling the transmission. The guys at Midwest said to use non-synthetic ATF, but I told him I’d use Royal Purple’s Synchromax. The RP wasn’t available and he was in a hurry so he put the standard ATF in just to get it going and ordered the RP. He drove it quite a bit and said it shifted perfectly. But when he changed to RP it became MUCH harder to shift. When he gets back from India he plans to drain that and fill up again with non-synthetic ATF. 🤔

Bill - Good idea!

And, speaking of Prashant, he called last evening. He will report this when he can, but he’s off to India for three months in a day or so. Anyway, he has his F150 going again. The ZF5 had gone out and he fought with whomever had build it for him, to no avail. You may remember he took it to Midwest while he was on his way with a trailer to pick up the F350 he bought. Midwest rebuilt the ZF and shipped it back to him and he got it installed and the transfer case rebuilt.

But, he had an interesting learning while filling the transmission. The guys at Midwest said to use non-synthetic ATF, but I told him I’d use Royal Purple’s Synchromax. The RP wasn’t available and he was in a hurry so he put the standard ATF in just to get it going and ordered the RP. He drove it quite a bit and said it shifted perfectly. But when he changed to RP it became MUCH harder to shift. When he gets back from India he plans to drain that and fill up again with non-synthetic ATF. 🤔

IDK Gary.

The fill plug says use type H, which is superceded by Mercon V.

RP seemed to work well for me

Dave - You gotten a lot done, in spite of working by yourself. And you’ve come up with an ingenious way of doing it and it seems to work well - albeit slowly. 👍 Also, I think you’ve answered my question about bolting - you are bolting it long enough to test-fit it, but then welding it? Will you use weld-through primer?

Jim - We get that kind of weather once a year or so. You saw the awful conditions I had to work in yesterday. The searing sun, the mind-numbing endless blue sky. 😈

Seriously though, I know you’d have had the engine out long ago if it hadn’t been for pulling parts for others - like me. So I appreciate it and hope the weather isn’t too miserable. And, before you ship I want to get you some money so you aren’t holding that bag as shipping is going to be expensive.

Gary, The flare side panels will be bolted to the floor just like if it was wood.

I am only going to use a few bolts for test fitting to the truck.

I want to use carriage bolts just like stock and think I have a way to make the square holes in the lips.

Besides bolting it if I ever want to go back to wood, when I hit the lotto, I can.

I also can not weld the sides to the floor as the style side bed sides & floor had been lineXed and getting that stuff off is a PITA! When heated/burned (plasma cutter) it melts and stays sticky so all trimming after the first plasma trimming was with a sawzall and cut off wheels on my hand grinder.

I forgot to use weld thru primer before I tack welded the front brace and realized this when I pulled the floor back off and up on end for welding.

The floor has to come off again as I want to clean the under side and paint it so will try and get some extra paint in there.

Dave ----

Bill - Good idea!

IDK Gary.

IDK Gary.

Jim, watch them yellow-n-black home depot bins.

They like to crack. I used them when I moved and packed them full of parts then into a PODS for shipping.

When I pulled them out some were cracked then and a few more have done so over time.

Dave ----