Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Oh, ok. Then I could be counted as a friend? :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for tomorrow, sorry but I have a date to bring half a '90 home. Big Blue gets an outing and a chance to show off his strength as well as to use his winch. Pity that my new trailer isn't ready. I'll have to take my neighbor's trailer again.

Big Blue had an outing today to go get a donor truck. And, in some ways it was an eventful outing. The first thing that happened was the trailer brakes came on when I depressed the clutch. I still haven't figured out why, but I disconnected the brakes and on we went.

The next thing was that Scott noticed pinging that I couldn't hear. It was happening during light throttle at around 2000 RPM, and went away with more throttle. So it seemed like too much vacuum advance. However, when we loaded up the truck on the trailer and headed back there was more pinging and some detonation/knocking, again under moderate throttle. I was running 87 octane gas and was down to half a tank, so we stopped and filled up with 91 octane. That helped significantly, but we still had some pinging at times. Looks like I have enough compression and too much advance. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But, other than that things went well. Here are some pics:

IMG_6964.thumb.jpg.46dc32dec29743be34f9104c53f4c542.jpg

IMG_6963.thumb.jpg.e5ed8518edf416c6618d31c4ce125227.jpg

DSCN2582.thumb.jpg.44c4e163b48a7978c14f8e496f1aa94e.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big Blue had an outing today to go get a donor truck. And, in some ways it was an eventful outing. The first thing that happened was the trailer brakes came on when I depressed the clutch. I still haven't figured out why, but I disconnected the brakes and on we went.

The next thing was that Scott noticed pinging that I couldn't hear. It was happening during light throttle at around 2000 RPM, and went away with more throttle. So it seemed like too much vacuum advance. However, when we loaded up the truck on the trailer and headed back there was more pinging and some detonation/knocking, again under moderate throttle. I was running 87 octane gas and was down to half a tank, so we stopped and filled up with 91 octane. That helped significantly, but we still had some pinging at times. Looks like I have enough compression and too much advance. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But, other than that things went well. Here are some pics:

Damn Gary, the doghouse on that looks in pretty good shape.

Damn Gary, the doghouse on that looks in pretty good shape.

Well, the hood opens after it scrapes on the cowl pretty badly and the driver's door won't open far at all as it hits the fender. But, the passenger's door opens pretty well - the fender is bent away from it. So, what parts do you want? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Well, the hood opens after it scrapes on the cowl pretty badly and the driver's door won't open far at all as it hits the fender. But, the passenger's door opens pretty well - the fender is bent away from it. So, what parts do you want? :nabble_smiley_evil:

I replaced the beltline on my truck today.

I wirebrushed and painted Gary's crossmember. (Not because I expect Rustoleum is good enough for him, but because I don't want to box it)

After I asked *everybody* if they wanted the carpet in the F-450.....

The wrecker driver Theo takes one look at the truck (at 9:00 last night) and says this cab is beautiful!

I could have used that carpet.

Can I have the interior trim and headliner?

SURE!

How much for the front bumper, grille, headlights, etc...?

This is the truck that just keeps on giving!

I cut a piece out of the utility body to make some taillights for the flatbed.

I still need to cut a piece out of the roof to send to Oz.

Gary, those are great pictures.

I replaced the beltline on my truck today.

I wirebrushed and painted Gary's crossmember. (Not because I expect Rustoleum is good enough for him, but because I don't want to box it)

After I asked *everybody* if they wanted the carpet in the F-450.....

The wrecker driver Theo takes one look at the truck (at 9:00 last night) and says this cab is beautiful!

I could have used that carpet.

Can I have the interior trim and headliner?

SURE!

How much for the front bumper, grille, headlights, etc...?

This is the truck that just keeps on giving!

I cut a piece out of the utility body to make some taillights for the flatbed.

I still need to cut a piece out of the roof to send to Oz.

Gary, those are great pictures.

LOL! That's a true donor truck, with almost every part of it going to a good use.

But about that crossmember, I hope you didn't go to too much effort. But, I do appreciate the help.

Speaking of bumper, here's the back side of the massive bumper on the '90. This is the strongest bumper I've seen, but is welded to the frame. Think I should cut it off?

DSCN2591.thumb.jpg.b053ff5e20435fbe6641f7680933200f.jpg

LOL! That's a true donor truck, with almost every part of it going to a good use.

But about that crossmember, I hope you didn't go to too much effort. But, I do appreciate the help.

Speaking of bumper, here's the back side of the massive bumper on the '90. This is the strongest bumper I've seen, but is welded to the frame. Think I should cut it off?

I would.

I guess up close it doesn't look that great, how are the grille and headlights and are they the chrome trimmed headlights?

I guess up close it doesn't look that great, how are the grille and headlights and are they the chrome trimmed headlights?

No, it doesn't look that good. The grille is floating, meaning it isn't secured so is probably busted. As for the headlights, the passenger's side is a fishbowl - literally has water sloshing around in it. But I will look further tomorrow.

I wish I could find someone for the 10 bolt, disc brake, dually, superduty rear.

Those are rare as hens teeth, and worth some $

But as heavy as it is there's no sending It anywhere.

Yesterday got more done on the bed floor.

After cleaning the brace & floor for welding I put the floor back on the truck and found did not clean enough and had to lift it up to do more cleaning. Tacked the brace to the floor and pulled floor off so I could weld the brace to the floor.

Setup for welding.

20171028_112716.jpg.0b489af116113c1608629aaf04ff1c45.jpg

I then was able to truck the front of the floor as it was real close to the cab.

Did I tell you I have been doing this by my self?

This is how you get the bed on & off truck.

20171028_084423.jpg.0f33c7d1104e6def12eb93df2c225b34.jpg

It was time to put the old flare side bed panels together so see how much of the floor had to be "trimmed".

20171028_134033.jpg.abf827f4cccf47dff409e95e9a8fcc72.jpg

20171028_134011.jpg.7745fb519e98c68999f4eb46551c3ef3.jpg

More trimming to get the panels to side on the mounting lips.

20171028_200016.jpg.d5c4b6bb609f8903948582446494304b.jpg

20171028_200718.jpg.0de348e467cd5b7fa29002898514ef55.jpg

20171028_200041.jpg.49d397fa79bf6f5c0e7f9c782c415f77.jpg

The style side floor seams to be just a little longer than the flare side as the front/rear lips show but can be dealt with easily.

front lip about 1.5 inches

20171028_200147.jpg.f6954cfa9f5107080b16686724965026.jpg

rear about 2.5 inches

20171028_200103.jpg.e188857d7cade9470672cb073ffd8e20.jpg

Still have some final centering, squaring & trimming then will drill a few holes and put bolts thru to bolt the sides to the floor and fit it to the truck to see how it all fits.

Then take it all apart to clean & paint the floor and fix the rusted panel lips.

How I left it last night.

20171028_200338.jpg.0c405c8e6d3030c079ddd4b01a781fb6.jpg

Dave ----