Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

How long do the glass beads last at that pressure?
Well, I don't blast every day, but the bag was delivered near Thanksgiving, and I can't tell that they've broken down at all - they still work as well as the first time. I've done several large Aluminum engine brackets, and several steel & cast Iron parts including at least 1 pair of exhaust manifolds inside & out. So I think I've used the whole bag at least once by now.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/883053/thumbnail/12sag.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1143092/thumbnail/20181210_174534.jpg

I think glass beads are MUCH more durable than crushed glass, which is why I think they're worth more. And they leave a better finish IMO.

I'm not 100% sold on crushed glass, but now that I have quite a bit of it (400 #) I'll use it for many things. However, I'm not sure it'll be adequate on the rear cross member as that would take a long time.

Part of the problem is that the glass/walnut hull combo doesn't etch nearly as deeply as coal slag or aluminum oxide. That means the powder doesn't have as much tooth for adherence, so the coating won't be as permanent.

Another is that by not digging as deeply it doesn't remove paint from in the texture of the part as well. And since the paint isn't likely to survive the oven, that would cause problems with the finish.

So, I haven't found the perfect media. But, I do have the cabinet feeding nicely. And, it has cut WAY down on the dust.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not 100% sold on crushed glass, but now that I have quite a bit of it (400 #) I'll use it for many things. However, I'm not sure it'll be adequate on the rear cross member as that would take a long time.

Part of the problem is that the glass/walnut hull combo doesn't etch nearly as deeply as coal slag or aluminum oxide. That means the powder doesn't have as much tooth for adherence, so the coating won't be as permanent.

Another is that by not digging as deeply it doesn't remove paint from in the texture of the part as well. And since the paint isn't likely to survive the oven, that would cause problems with the finish.

So, I haven't found the perfect media. But, I do have the cabinet feeding nicely. And, it has cut WAY down on the dust.

Great work, Gary. So sorry to hear about the eye and pray that it heals quickly and completely!

Great work, Gary. So sorry to hear about the eye and pray that it heals quickly and completely!

I had to go back thru to find out about the eye .... not good.

Between my dad being blind in 1 eye from birth and me having eye issues I don't mess around with protection when working in the garage or where any could get in the eyes.

If it make you feel any better ever 12 weeks I have to get a injection (read needle) in 1 of my eyes for the rest of my life if I want to keep the eye and I need the eye to pass my med card test for my CDL to drive a truck.

Just had the needle this morning, can't do anything that may put pressure on the eye, like bending over or lifting haves things and why no work (pay or other wise) for the day, or could hurt the eye before the injection site heals.

Take care of that eye and don't push it, what ever you want to do will be there tomorrow.

Dave ----

I had to go back thru to find out about the eye .... not good.

Between my dad being blind in 1 eye from birth and me having eye issues I don't mess around with protection when working in the garage or where any could get in the eyes.

If it make you feel any better ever 12 weeks I have to get a injection (read needle) in 1 of my eyes for the rest of my life if I want to keep the eye and I need the eye to pass my med card test for my CDL to drive a truck.

Just had the needle this morning, can't do anything that may put pressure on the eye, like bending over or lifting haves things and why no work (pay or other wise) for the day, or could hurt the eye before the injection site heals.

Take care of that eye and don't push it, what ever you want to do will be there tomorrow.

Dave ----

Thanks, guys. And good advice - it'll be there tomorrow.

As for what happened, it was a fluke. I was emptying the spent blast media into a hole in the yard. The wind was strong from the south so I stood on the south side. But the wind whipped it up and into my eye.

I rinsed what I could out of my eye with lubricating eye drops. But one piece wouldn't come out at that point. I hoped that it would during the night, but it didn't. So I called the local eye doctor, expecting that it was a piece of grit that was stuck. Unfortunately it was a piece of metal that had embedded in the eye.

:nabble_smiley_sad:

Edit: Dave - That sounds awful! I really feel for you. Hang in there.

As for what happened, it was a fluke. I was emptying the spent blast media into a hole in the yard. The wind was strong from the south so I stood on the south side. But the wind whipped it up and into my eye.

I rinsed what I could out of my eye with lubricating eye drops. But one piece wouldn't come out at that point. I hoped that it would during the night, but it didn't. So I called the local eye doctor, expecting that it was a piece of grit that was stuck. Unfortunately it was a piece of metal that had embedded in the eye.

Wow! Prayers for both of you. Hope your eyes are better.

They will probably use a magnet to remove the metal fragment, thats what they did when the same thing happened to me. Good luck Gary🤞

They will probably use a magnet to remove the metal fragment, thats what they did when the same thing happened to me. Good luck Gary🤞

For whatever reason they didn't use a magnet. But tweezers, then a needle, then the "Dremel tool", which is a battery operated device with a brush that digs. :nabble_smiley_scared:

But in the end he said "We are golden". Some day he's gonna discover mangled metal on the underside of his apparatus where I was gripping HARD.

Anyway, I made some progress today in spite of all that. You can see that over on the Dad's Truck Build thread. :nabble_smiley_wink:

For whatever reason they didn't use a magnet. But tweezers, then a needle, then the "Dremel tool", which is a battery operated device with a brush that digs. :nabble_smiley_scared:

But in the end he said "We are golden". Some day he's gonna discover mangled metal on the underside of his apparatus where I was gripping HARD.

Anyway, I made some progress today in spite of all that. You can see that over on the Dad's Truck Build thread. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I missed the original eye report, too...

I did something dumb with a hammer while working on my truck at a veterinarian's home shop (where I also helped him work on his Corvette collection). He tried tweezers & magnet, but couldn't get it out, and it was late in the evening, so I went to sleep before going to the eye doctor the next day. Apparently, the fastest-growing tissue is the cornea (which is also the only growing tissue withOUT blood vessels), so it had already nearly engulfed the gigantic steel flake. I had to watch him dremel it out, which was punishment enough IMO for my earlier stupidity. But fortunately, there was no permanent damage.

Hopefully, yours will be an even-quicker recovery than mine since yours was small enough to be carried by the wind.

I missed the original eye report, too...

I did something dumb with a hammer while working on my truck at a veterinarian's home shop (where I also helped him work on his Corvette collection). He tried tweezers & magnet, but couldn't get it out, and it was late in the evening, so I went to sleep before going to the eye doctor the next day. Apparently, the fastest-growing tissue is the cornea (which is also the only growing tissue withOUT blood vessels), so it had already nearly engulfed the gigantic steel flake. I had to watch him dremel it out, which was punishment enough IMO for my earlier stupidity. But fortunately, there was no permanent damage.

Hopefully, yours will be an even-quicker recovery than mine since yours was small enough to be carried by the wind.

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the flake was apparently pretty small. But I guess both of us learned that getting it out quickly is a must. In my case the rust ring was going to be visible to others, so he "erased" it with the Dremel. And watching that certainly is painful.

As you've alluded, the pain wasn't physical, but mental. The eye had been deadened, but I could see everything he was doing. Reminded me of when I had a gash across the bridge of my nose and I watched the doctor sew it up - lifting my head with the thread multiple times. :nabble_smiley_scared:

And, the cornea certainly grows quickly. I'm going in at 10:00 in the morning, right ahead of going for BBQ paint, and he is expecting to remove the protective contact lens and call it good. That's less than 48 hours from when he worked on the eye.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the flake was apparently pretty small. But I guess both of us learned that getting it out quickly is a must. In my case the rust ring was going to be visible to others, so he "erased" it with the Dremel. And watching that certainly is painful.

As you've alluded, the pain wasn't physical, but mental. The eye had been deadened, but I could see everything he was doing. Reminded me of when I had a gash across the bridge of my nose and I watched the doctor sew it up - lifting my head with the thread multiple times. :nabble_smiley_scared:

And, the cornea certainly grows quickly. I'm going in at 10:00 in the morning, right ahead of going for BBQ paint, and he is expecting to remove the protective contact lens and call it good. That's less than 48 hours from when he worked on the eye.

Thanks again.

Glad to hear your eye is better. This morning, with the help of my son, we replaced the passenger side inner tie rod. It had a LOT of play, and since the driver side inner tie rod attaches to it, it was putting play in the whole steering system. There's no more play in it now but man was it cold, 26*.