Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

This is why all of my projects take longer than expected. Everything I touch needs to be cleaned/wire wheeled and then primed and painted. To much rust up north to take chances even on items you'll never see again. Nearly there with getting the seat back together though. 😃

you are in good company here. many obsessive truck owners around.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you are in good company here. many obsessive truck owners around.

Now, we have already established that I am not an uperson 😁

I think this came out well and will smooth out some when in actual warmth.

20240316_091025.jpg.69afca21adbd556884cb19aeaac0a2cb.jpg

20240316_091050.jpg.d363e8c949faff762dee80a21ffff3b5.jpg

20240316_091106.jpg.33b62915596c3cd559d8f2ea405b5a50.jpg

Now to finish the floor and get it mounted.

Now, we have already established that I am not an uperson 😁

I think this came out well and will smooth out some when in actual warmth.

Now to finish the floor and get it mounted.

nice save I say. that came out nicely. im assuming that you use very short screws. my only concern is how well they stay in fabric without the benefit of binding the support wire.

nice save I say. that came out nicely. im assuming that you use very short screws. my only concern is how well they stay in fabric without the benefit of binding the support wire.

Yep, these are like 1/4" self tapers. I tried to get them as close to the wire in the fabric to either catch it or at least have pulling directly against the screw head. Time will tell.

A long ways to go, but progress. New floor in (already dirty) and new upholstered seat back in.

20240316_125248.jpg.e6c9ef4a7135e42a0bcb8c21cdfb6de0.jpg

Yep, these are like 1/4" self tapers. I tried to get them as close to the wire in the fabric to either catch it or at least have pulling directly against the screw head. Time will tell.

A long ways to go, but progress. New floor in (already dirty) and new upholstered seat back in.

The seat looks good.

That is one thing I need to do to my truck, redo the seat.

It had a rip when I installed it, came from part truck.

There is now a 2nd rip starting close to the first, age and dry seat base.

A few days ago I did some work on the pickup.

The AC stopped working again :nabble_smiley_angry: and it is getting warm. That and we have been getting a lot of rain and the windows fog up with out AC.

The low PSI switch stopped working a while back so it was jumped out so meant the system is low on charge. Replaced the switch and put 3+ can of 134a in it.

The switch worked at the on / off PSI based on the fast fill gauge setup I was using.

I also used my black light but did not see any leaks but it was bright out so who knows?

If I had the money I would farm this out and the next time it stopped working send it back to them to fix right as I am getting tired of it!

I also had a clunking when rocking the steering wheel back & forth or going out the drive.

With help found the 3 tie rods that were removed and installed for the rebuild loose.

Not bad tie rods but the nuts loose and they had cotter pins in thank the man up stairs.

Got them tight and no more clunking.

Also felt the choke was staying on a little to long so leaned that out some and seams pretty good but may want to lower the fast idle speed as I feel that is to high but we are still testing.

I got a drip from a PS hose at the box and was able to take up on 1 of the fittings.

The other was tight and could not budge it. Hope that takes care of it as I want to de-oil the under side for show season :nabble_smiley_evil:

Took the truck to work last 3 days, 40 miles each way, been running great.

Dave ----

I got the chance to do a little tuning on the f100 today. as good as it runs, I have noticed that if I choke it down real low driving it, I can find the point where it pings (diesels). it is only when almost stalling taking off of trying to stay in gear lower than really necessary. easy enough to avoid but it still tells me there is more to do. I tested the dist. advance and found the overall advance going further than expected so I limited that to 38. it was advancing well into the mid 40s by 2700rpm. that being said I have been feeling the drive to feel lean. I expect that a bit with 62 jets, wouldn't you know I cannot find the 66s that I just know I have but I did find 63s so they are in, 72s sitting there saying "put me in coach" haha. I'm going to drive it a week and see if I have made any significant difference before going up in jets again. the vacuum reading is very low yet the idle is very stable. it was a bit lower with the 62s and had a bit of a range in rpm hinting to leaning on the power valve a bit. that in itself is not good on mpg.

I got the chance to do a little tuning on the f100 today. as good as it runs, I have noticed that if I choke it down real low driving it, I can find the point where it pings (diesels). it is only when almost stalling taking off of trying to stay in gear lower than really necessary. easy enough to avoid but it still tells me there is more to do. I tested the dist. advance and found the overall advance going further than expected so I limited that to 38. it was advancing well into the mid 40s by 2700rpm. that being said I have been feeling the drive to feel lean. I expect that a bit with 62 jets, wouldn't you know I cannot find the 66s that I just know I have but I did find 63s so they are in, 72s sitting there saying "put me in coach" haha. I'm going to drive it a week and see if I have made any significant difference before going up in jets again. the vacuum reading is very low yet the idle is very stable. it was a bit lower with the 62s and had a bit of a range in rpm hinting to leaning on the power valve a bit. that in itself is not good on mpg.

Did a couple of projects today. I fixed up my rear spare tire carrier carraige bolt issue I had putting the LT265/75/16 on. Got some M10X1.5 stainless rod, cut it to length and used a lock nut and washer on the bottom side and the original nut and washer on the inside of the carrier and tightened it down now I can thread the big plastic wingnut on and off without having to hold the stud anymore.

Next, I fixed up my hastily repaired fuel tank selector valve wiring from 12 years ago when I had to replace the valve with a universal 3 port. I just shoved some spade terminals into the truck side of the factory connector and taped it up. I cut off the factory connector and got myself a weatherpack connector and made my own new quick connect and spliced it in, also replaced my piece of rubber hose going to the engine at the same time. The original valve had quick connects and nylon fuel lines. I was able to work the nylon lines onto the barbs on the tank side but the engine side it wasn't long enough so I had to shove 5/16 hose over the nylon line. Not my preferred way of doing things, but its a tight fit and it worked perfectly for 12 years like that, so I just did it the same way again.

Also took a look at my rear brakes, ever since I put the new drums on last month the brakes have been really chattery and the hotter the brakes get the worse it gets. I don't think I cleaned the cosmoline off the drums well enough and I should have cleaned the brake shoes better. I put new shoes on almost 2 years ago and they were starting to wear into the original drums that have been turned a couple of times and they had a bit of an irregular wear pattern to them. I think the extra dust of them bedding in and the lack of getting all the cosmoline off it made like a gooey dust layer all over the shoes and it was causing the brakes to want to lock up. 95% better now they are way smoother and feel good.431722122_7918143714881291_6915028098723493441_n.jpg.259ac5eaeec0d15c14d9fef407a7e399.jpg432305336_3771981403085677_6006356425673671731_n.jpg.5469452cae7fe3e91ef10a2b1e91a496.jpg432102861_970001621406021_5765682845679602208_n.jpg.35f788af3e97765e9ce254d853fd9cff.jpg

Inside of the drums still look pretty good. I didn't think I had gotten them hot enough to warp them. The chatter felt like ABS pulsating, but it doesn't have ABS.

Monday I am going to put the new coil springs on along with the offset polyurethane radius arm bushings and new brake hoses with new powerstop evoluation Z36 carbon fiber ceramic pads. Man, it'll be nice to not have a red brake dust mess all over the front wheels all the time.

Dave - I farmed my A/C work out for that very reason. I got tired of chasing it. Hope you can find the leak and fix it, but...

And good catch on the tie rods. Sure glad they had cotter keys, but now I'll bet the steering is even better.

Mat - Always those little tuning things, and when you think you are "there" the weather changes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave - I farmed my A/C work out for that very reason. I got tired of chasing it. Hope you can find the leak and fix it, but...

And good catch on the tie rods. Sure glad they had cotter keys, but now I'll bet the steering is even better.

Mat - Always those little tuning things, and when you think you are "there" the weather changes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I got the engine in before the real cold weather, so I was tuning the choke mostly. now that it is warming up, I'm finding the lean feel so I'm thinking the choke is going to prove to be too tight also. I'm really interested in how the advance adjustment will respond. this is the truck which was a 3.8 and is now a 30 over 302 with gt40p heads and weiand intake with 351 ho cam.