Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I want to encourage everyone to do this final item as we all know how and that it is important, but sometimes put this job off. I am talking about cleaning the duct work supplying air for the A/C, vent, heat, etc.

Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks.

This time, I also removed the resister pack which opened a window to the evaporator coil, so I could actually see the "stuff" resting on the bottom. It is not necessary, but I am glad I did. :nabble_smiley_good:

Let's see, lots needing replies.

First, I haven't found Cherokees to be difficult to deal with. Perhaps it is the fact that she's only a 3/16 Cherokee? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Second, we are gaining momentum, and while the 2018 show will be great the 2019 will be even better. So, mark your calendars if you can't be here this year.

Third, I haven't tried pulling the resistor pack, but that's a good idea. However, with Big Blue having the pin-cushion cowl I doubt anything has gotten in there.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I want to encourage everyone to do this final item as we all know how and that it is important, but sometimes put this job off. I am talking about cleaning the duct work supplying air for the A/C, vent, heat, etc.

Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks.

This time, I also removed the resister pack which opened a window to the evaporator coil, so I could actually see the "stuff" resting on the bottom. It is not necessary, but I am glad I did. :nabble_smiley_good:

That is a really good idea, especially since the resistor coils like to catch leaves. It a perfect tinder box. If you find more than just a little bit in the condenser housing, it’s fairly easy to remove the driver side half of the HVAC box. There is one bolt/nut under the dash in the passenger foot area, little screws around the box seam, and one square clip. That’s it, and you can get to both sides of the condenser. You can vacuum/wipe out a lot from there.

That is a really good idea, especially since the resistor coils like to catch leaves. It a perfect tinder box. If you find more than just a little bit in the condenser housing, it’s fairly easy to remove the driver side half of the HVAC box. There is one bolt/nut under the dash in the passenger foot area, little screws around the box seam, and one square clip. That’s it, and you can get to both sides of the condenser. You can vacuum/wipe out a lot from there.

I forgot to update back on 7/4:

I tighten up the ALT belt and it is charging and no belt noise.

Picked up a radiator cap and installed it but before I did I saw there was some white crust build up in the radiator that I want to see if I can "treat it" before I put the truck into service.

I tried to add more threads to the ebrake add on adjuster and it failed so I cut a short section of tubing to take up more on the cable. Nope ebrake still dose not hold so I really have to look deeper into this now.

I sanded down the body filler on the hood. Do you know what its like to sand filler on a paper sheet that keeps flexing? It still has some low spots, will have to put another skim coat of filler on it.

Today 7/15:

I pulled the radiator to "treat" the crust. What I am trying is a mild acid .... vinegar. Got it laying flat in the bed of the truck and used almost a full gallon to put the tubes under liquid. I will let it sit till maybe next weekend or longer. If that does not work I will look into something stronger.

Then it was on to mixing body filler for the hood and the rear panel of the bed under the tail gate as it had a little dent.

That rear panel was the easy part and is ready for primer.

Now that hood is a different story. Remember the sanding filler on paper, still the same deal, flexing and hard to sand flat.

It may still have low spots and after spending hours on it I am not happy with it and think once paint is on it will look like crap!

The whole time I am thinking of looking over the hood that came on my truck again. It had some rust thru by 1 of the hinges and why I went with bent one.

Being depressed about the hood out come and being 98* in the garage I called it a day.

Dave ----

I forgot to update back on 7/4:

I tighten up the ALT belt and it is charging and no belt noise.

Picked up a radiator cap and installed it but before I did I saw there was some white crust build up in the radiator that I want to see if I can "treat it" before I put the truck into service.

I tried to add more threads to the ebrake add on adjuster and it failed so I cut a short section of tubing to take up more on the cable. Nope ebrake still dose not hold so I really have to look deeper into this now.

I sanded down the body filler on the hood. Do you know what its like to sand filler on a paper sheet that keeps flexing? It still has some low spots, will have to put another skim coat of filler on it.

Today 7/15:

I pulled the radiator to "treat" the crust. What I am trying is a mild acid .... vinegar. Got it laying flat in the bed of the truck and used almost a full gallon to put the tubes under liquid. I will let it sit till maybe next weekend or longer. If that does not work I will look into something stronger.

Then it was on to mixing body filler for the hood and the rear panel of the bed under the tail gate as it had a little dent.

That rear panel was the easy part and is ready for primer.

Now that hood is a different story. Remember the sanding filler on paper, still the same deal, flexing and hard to sand flat.

It may still have low spots and after spending hours on it I am not happy with it and think once paint is on it will look like crap!

The whole time I am thinking of looking over the hood that came on my truck again. It had some rust thru by 1 of the hinges and why I went with bent one.

Being depressed about the hood out come and being 98* in the garage I called it a day.

Dave ----

Dave - I missed your post somehow. Sorry! :nabble_smiley_blush:

But I can imagine what it is like to sand a piece of paper flat. It has to be frustrating. Is the adhesive not holding the skin to the ribs?

As for what I did to/with my truck today, I slid it sideways. Was driving Big Blue to a friend's house and we had a little shower come up. Just enough to raise the oil and dirt in the pavement. Turned a corner and touched the gas and gave those stopped at the intersection quite a show. She went past 45 degrees sideways and I came off the gas and steered into it. Got it lined back up and gave it a bit of throttle and it walked sideways again.

Apparently those Torsen/Detroit Trutracs are quick to lock up in slick conditions. So, with one in the front and one in the back, Big Blue may be a handful in snow. :nabble_smiley_scared:

But I can imagine what it is like to sand a piece of paper flat. It has to be frustrating. Is the adhesive not holding the skin to the ribs?

As for what I did to/with my truck today, I slid it sideways. Was driving Big Blue to a friend's house and we had a little shower come up. Just enough to raise the oil and dirt in the pavement. Turned a corner and touched the gas and gave those stopped at the intersection quite a show. She went past 45 degrees sideways and I came off the gas and steered into it. Got it lined back up and gave it a bit of throttle and it walked sideways again.

Apparently those Torsen/Detroit Trutracs are quick to lock up in slick conditions. So, with one in the front and one in the back, Big Blue may be a handful in snow. :nabble_smiley_scared:

The "Boss" sang about you!

"Well Jimmy Lee was hookin' 'round the far turn of a funky southern Florida dirt track

He had mud caked on his goggles and a screamin' 350 stacked up on his back

Well as he passed the stands he was feelin' all tuckered out,

When through the roar of his engine he heard somebody shout

"Stand on it, come on boy, stand on it"

:nabble_smiley_what::nabble_smiley_scared::nabble_smiley_good:

The "Boss" sang about you!

"Well Jimmy Lee was hookin' 'round the far turn of a funky southern Florida dirt track

He had mud caked on his goggles and a screamin' 350 stacked up on his back

Well as he passed the stands he was feelin' all tuckered out,

When through the roar of his engine he heard somebody shout

"Stand on it, come on boy, stand on it"

:nabble_smiley_what::nabble_smiley_scared::nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_grin:

I'd forgotten about that one. When I think of The Boss I usually remember:

Glory days, well, they'll pass you by

Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye

Glory days, glory days

And, in looking for those lyrics I learned something - Glory Days was written in '84 and was released on a single in '85 - the B side of which was Stand On It. Seems quite fitting for Bullnose trucks in general and Big Blue in particular. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glory days, glory days

And, in looking for those lyrics I learned something - Glory Days was written in '84 and was released on a single in '85 - the B side of which was Stand On It. Seems quite fitting for Bullnose trucks in general and Big Blue in particular. :nabble_smiley_good:

True! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glory days, glory days

True! :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, I've been AWOL a few weeks. Hail season here and I do some seasonal work as a crop adjuster.

Makes a little spare $$$ to spend on my trucks later this winter.

:nabble_smiley_cool:

I removed the skin from the frame, big mistake, to fix the dent as I could not pull in out the way I wanted.

When I put it back together I did glue the skin to the frame again, don't remember what I used at this time, but it is where the frame is not is where you cant press to sand.

So between the areas the frame is and is not makes for high & low spots when sanding.

If I get out to the garage today I will rethink this hood deal as there had to be a better way.

I have a Lock Right Locker in my factory v8 Gremlin, 96 in wheel base car. That was fun in the rain around corners, short wheel base would come right around with no warning!

Dave ----

I removed the skin from the frame, big mistake, to fix the dent as I could not pull in out the way I wanted.

When I put it back together I did glue the skin to the frame again, don't remember what I used at this time, but it is where the frame is not is where you cant press to sand.

So between the areas the frame is and is not makes for high & low spots when sanding.

If I get out to the garage today I will rethink this hood deal as there had to be a better way.

I have a Lock Right Locker in my factory v8 Gremlin, 96 in wheel base car. That was fun in the rain around corners, short wheel base would come right around with no warning!

Dave ----

Interesting, I have the factory limited slip in Darth, biggest issue I run into, one of my neighbors has a deep piled, not packed down gravel driveway, if I try to turn around the front wheels will get stuck in the loose gravel and if I am not careful the rear duals will start spinning and spray it everywhere.

Locking differentials, my 1966 GT350 had a 3.89 gear with a Detroit Locker which is a ratchet style unit. The faster turning axle freewheels so on a turn the inside rear does all the driving. I never had a problem in either rain or even snow. I think the wheelbase on the early Mustangs was 106", but the weight distribution was on the order of 55/45 so it wasn't super nose heavy at 2800 lbs (amazing what some light front end parts and limited sound deadening does). I could spin both rear wheels very easily if I wanted to, but in the 11 years I owned it, had learned how to drive it smoothly.