Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Good point! I had smoke from my first Bullnose when I turned the heater on the first time. Sure enough, it was full in there. Pull the blower motor and vacuum it out. :nabble_smiley_good:

You haven't lived until you have experienced a blower motor resistor fire in an early Corvair, the resistor is in the right side defroster nozzle and if there is lint, paper scraps from old inspection stickers etc, you will get a nice set of flames licking the inside of the windshield.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You haven't lived until you have experienced a blower motor resistor fire in an early Corvair, the resistor is in the right side defroster nozzle and if there is lint, paper scraps from old inspection stickers etc, you will get a nice set of flames licking the inside of the windshield.

I might have gone too far on cleaning the HVAC box what you think?

20160515_162648.jpg.d028fcef97176c64eb19fdfec3fc2d7f.jpg

That was after I washed it to make sure it was clean.

The other day when I had the truck running I tried the vent doors and they did not move from what I could tell.

Think the fan worked on all speeds so I need to check deeper on the doors.

Dave ----

I want to encourage everyone to do this final item as we all know how and that it is important, but sometimes put this job off. I am talking about cleaning the duct work supplying air for the A/C, vent, heat, etc.

Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks. It was very sobering, because a few years back I bought our older daughter a cheap 90’s Jeep Cherokee. We were helping her move and she had everything she owned in that car. My wife was driving it and said she smelled some smoke so she pulled over and the smoke stopped. Nonetheless she traded cars with me and put our daughter and granddaughter in my Jetta. I could not find anything amiss, so I pulled back onto the interstate. As soon as I did, air flow from the cowl fanned the smoldering leaves and a wall of flames came out of the defrost vents and soot blacked out the windshield. My eyes were burning and I was choking on the burning plastic. I was not familiar with the car and I could not find the door handle to get out. Luckily the window was down about 5” and I was able to reach the outside door handle and let myself out. The smoke messed me up so bad I could barely get away from it let alone fight the fire. It was a total loss, but no one was hurt and material things can be replaced. Still, had I taken the time to do that one little task....

I want to encourage everyone to do this final item as we all know how and that it is important, but sometimes put this job off. I am talking about cleaning the duct work supplying air for the A/C, vent, heat, etc.

Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks. It was very sobering, because a few years back I bought our older daughter a cheap 90’s Jeep Cherokee. We were helping her move and she had everything she owned in that car. My wife was driving it and said she smelled some smoke so she pulled over and the smoke stopped. Nonetheless she traded cars with me and put our daughter and granddaughter in my Jetta. I could not find anything amiss, so I pulled back onto the interstate. As soon as I did, air flow from the cowl fanned the smoldering leaves and a wall of flames came out of the defrost vents and soot blacked out the windshield. My eyes were burning and I was choking on the burning plastic. I was not familiar with the car and I could not find the door handle to get out. Luckily the window was down about 5” and I was able to reach the outside door handle and let myself out. The smoke messed me up so bad I could barely get away from it let alone fight the fire. It was a total loss, but no one was hurt and material things can be replaced. Still, had I taken the time to do that one little task....

What an awful experience! :nabble_smiley_scared:

It doesn't take much heat with the type of stuff that's usually in there to catch fire with the airflow the blower causes. Since on a Bullnose it is so easy to clean out it really should be done frequently. And, while the later polka dot style cowl keeps junk from coming in directly, unless the truck is driven frequently mice may make a home there and carry fluffy stuff in.

What an awful experience! :nabble_smiley_scared:

It doesn't take much heat with the type of stuff that's usually in there to catch fire with the airflow the blower causes. Since on a Bullnose it is so easy to clean out it really should be done frequently. And, while the later polka dot style cowl keeps junk from coming in directly, unless the truck is driven frequently mice may make a home there and carry fluffy stuff in.

I made it out for Thursday night car/truck night again last night, and what a great time chatting with all of the other gearheads. But holy heck the Chevy guys...they're EVERYWHERE...lol. I pulled in and parked, and had a couple friends with me, one on a motorcycle, and the other with his 32 Ford. Next thing you know it, I had two '52 Chevy's on one side, and then 30 minutes later had two more the same on the other side.

IMG_4955_(Medium).jpg.dd1573a44f282814790b10959c7ef407.jpg

I ended up moving for them a little later so that yet another Chevy could park there, and they had 6-7 of them in a row, all in various conditions.

Anyway, in a sea of Mopars and GM's, it's kinda nice to have an 80's Ford that isn't a 5.0 Mustang (I adore them as well, but there's lots of them around). There has been a couple different Ford Lightnings around...one an early 1990's with a Styleside box, and the other a late 1990's with a Flareside box, but still no Bullnoses.

A guy approached me to tell me he had a Bullnose truck in storage and that I should come see it for parts. He said there's no box on the truck, but that the rest of it is all there and is rust free.

Met another guy that worked at a Ford dealer for many many years and used to sell the Bullnose trucks. He knew a lot about the trucks, so he was great fun to talk to.

I made it out for Thursday night car/truck night again last night, and what a great time chatting with all of the other gearheads. But holy heck the Chevy guys...they're EVERYWHERE...lol. I pulled in and parked, and had a couple friends with me, one on a motorcycle, and the other with his 32 Ford. Next thing you know it, I had two '52 Chevy's on one side, and then 30 minutes later had two more the same on the other side.

I ended up moving for them a little later so that yet another Chevy could park there, and they had 6-7 of them in a row, all in various conditions.

Anyway, in a sea of Mopars and GM's, it's kinda nice to have an 80's Ford that isn't a 5.0 Mustang (I adore them as well, but there's lots of them around). There has been a couple different Ford Lightnings around...one an early 1990's with a Styleside box, and the other a late 1990's with a Flareside box, but still no Bullnoses.

A guy approached me to tell me he had a Bullnose truck in storage and that I should come see it for parts. He said there's no box on the truck, but that the rest of it is all there and is rust free.

Met another guy that worked at a Ford dealer for many many years and used to sell the Bullnose trucks. He knew a lot about the trucks, so he was great fun to talk to.

Cool! I have a '69 Bee to restore and a '50 Chevy PU, but I do like the Bullnose trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

.... a few years back I bought our older daughter a cheap 90’s Jeep Cherokee.... Still, had I taken the time to do that one little task....

but on a Cherokee it isn't a little task. I started trying to do that on my son's 2001 Cherokee. About 2 hours into disassembly I decided that the instruction that said "remove the steering column" were, in fact, needed. I put it back together and ended up taking it to a shop. $1000 in labor to R&R the heater core!

(and more importantly, glad the result of your fire wasn't any worse!)

Rembrant, I bet you would be surrounded by Fords in Skiatook in September! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Believe me, I thought about making the trip! I would love to go, and the distance actually doesn't bother me either, but this summer is a bad year for me for various reasons.

The other issue, is that my truck is still far from ready for a long journey. Mechanically, it is tip top! However, the door and window gaskets all need to be replaced, and I need a radio/stereo, and A/C would be nice;).

I've traveled the US coast to coast, and I've experienced those multi-mile construction traffic jams when it's 90+ degrees out. As blisteringly hot as it is sitting on a hot motorcycle, I think it would be equally as unpleasant sitting in my non-AC F150's cab and not moving;).

Hopefully I'll be ready for the 2019 event!!

Excellent suggestion David! I was appalled at the amount of build up in both my trucks.

This time, I also removed the resister pack which opened a window to the evaporator coil, so I could actually see the "stuff" resting on the bottom. It is not necessary, but I am glad I did. :nabble_smiley_good: