Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Not today, but this past weekend, I replaced the original speedometer on my 1986 F150 with a NOS unit for a F600/800. My speedometer was fully functional, but when I had the opportunity to purchase the new one which just happens to have the capability to register 999,999.9 miles, I wanted it! The engineering number indicates it dates back to 1981, but the numbers on the original [unopened] Ford box indicated 1983. By the way, this is a "service/replacement" unit indicated by the red digits for the tenths. The odometer was reset to equal the actual mileage of my truck, so it showed 207,400.8 miles. [Yea!]

I also replaced the tachometer with a NOS 4500 RPM unit, also for F600/800. The truck was "born" with the normal 6000 RPM tach, which was replaced years ago with a 4000 RPM tach, from a 1981 F600 with a 370 V8 gas engine. Johnathan [Ford F834] gave it to me. It was wonderful, but began to act up. The new unit works beautifully!!! It is nice to see the needle actually move as it approaches its normal 1700 - 2300 RPM operating range.

While the instrument cluster was out, I removed the blue LED bulbs, which Gary provided and set-up for me a couple of years ago. They looked great and made a dramatic presentation, but the odometer digits were difficult to see at night. I replaced them with 194B bulbs, which were made by Wagner and sold @ the local NAPA store. The blue filters had previously been removed. The appearance, now, is like the original, but much brighter [not brighter than LEDs] due to not having to pass through the foggy/opaque original filters.

Gary, do you recall the man you spoke with concerning replacement instrument paint for the needles having said that after so many years [10?], the florescent paint would no longer be effective? Well, both of these instruments, which of course had been in sealed boxes, work just like the needles for the remaining 4 instruments, which were painted at your OK GTK 2 years ago.

These can be seen in September in Skiatook, the good Lord willing!

David - It was Bill O'Neil, Mr HiPo Parts, that told me about the half-life of the fluorescent paints. His theory is that if a needle or gauge has been in a box for 30 years its paint will no longer fluoresce. Yes, being shielded from the UV of the sun helps, but no where near enough to make the paint last 30 years.

Do you remember what paint we used? If it was the HiPo then it should fluoresce. But if the Testors then I don't think it will as I think their "Fluorescent Orange" is the name of the color, not a paint that glows. So, it is possible that he was right if neither the ones we painted nor the new tach actually fluoresce.

I still need to do the test that I promised him I'd do. He sent me the new LED's and a new bottle of paint, so I need to make that happen.

Did the blue bulbs help you read the odometer? I'm not sold on the blue LED's we used as it certainly doesn't give a stock appearance. I'm hoping Bill's new cool-white LED's do the trick, but still need to do the test. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David - It was Bill O'Neil, Mr HiPo Parts, that told me about the half-life of the fluorescent paints. His theory is that if a needle or gauge has been in a box for 30 years its paint will no longer fluoresce. Yes, being shielded from the UV of the sun helps, but no where near enough to make the paint last 30 years.

Do you remember what paint we used? If it was the HiPo then it should fluoresce. But if the Testors then I don't think it will as I think their "Fluorescent Orange" is the name of the color, not a paint that glows. So, it is possible that he was right if neither the ones we painted nor the new tach actually fluoresce.

I still need to do the test that I promised him I'd do. He sent me the new LED's and a new bottle of paint, so I need to make that happen.

Did the blue bulbs help you read the odometer? I'm not sold on the blue LED's we used as it certainly doesn't give a stock appearance. I'm hoping Bill's new cool-white LED's do the trick, but still need to do the test. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yes, regarding the 194Bs. The digits are much more visible to my aging eyes. The dash does not look blue at all. The numbers and marking are much brighter than when the blue filters and old 194s were being used. I did this on my son's truck, previously, and it, too, was greatly improved.

I have the bottle at home, but can you recognize the manufacturer from the link to the 2016 OK GTG photo?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-dscn9368_5e814ee90910c7e3488df90f525cbf14e5e581e2.jpg

Yes, regarding the 194Bs. The digits are much more visible to my aging eyes. The dash does not look blue at all. The numbers and marking are much brighter than when the blue filters and old 194s were being used. I did this on my son's truck, previously, and it, too, was greatly improved.

I have the bottle at home, but can you recognize the manufacturer from the link to the 2016 OK GTG photo?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-dscn9368_5e814ee90910c7e3488df90f525cbf14e5e581e2.jpg

What about what paint we used? Do you remember that?

Yep, your memory is good.

Here's the post on FTE. And here's their website.

The writeup sure implies that it does fluoresce. They say "glow" which should mean fluoresce.

Today I changed the starter, second time since I've owned Darth, previous one was a PMGR I got when Matt was running the Portsmouth Precision Certi-Pro warehouse so it is a minimum of 13 years old. It was starting what the Taurus did to me a while back, periodically cranking slow when hot followed by spinning up normally once it started things moving. No excessive draw, just slow.

While I was at it I also installed the cables from the F450 Jim brought me when we met in Delaware. Much cleaner looking now complete with a nice cover over the positive post.

Today I changed the starter, second time since I've owned Darth, previous one was a PMGR I got when Matt was running the Portsmouth Precision Certi-Pro warehouse so it is a minimum of 13 years old. It was starting what the Taurus did to me a while back, periodically cranking slow when hot followed by spinning up normally once it started things moving. No excessive draw, just slow.

While I was at it I also installed the cables from the F450 Jim brought me when we met in Delaware. Much cleaner looking now complete with a nice cover over the positive post.

What starter did you go with?

What starter did you go with?

Just a replacement for the one that was on there, I would have to go look at the receipt for the PN. It is the one for the 1992-96/7 460 w/automatic. There is a place here in town sells new ones (they bought Precision out when it was closed). 3247N is the number for the automatic, 3246N for manual.

Just a replacement for the one that was on there, I would have to go look at the receipt for the PN. It is the one for the 1992-96/7 460 w/automatic. There is a place here in town sells new ones (they bought Precision out when it was closed). 3247N is the number for the automatic, 3246N for manual.

Got the radiator support and associated pieces back from the paint/body man today. Took a pic but I don't like it, so hope to get a better one soon.

Anyway, just trying to get some things done toward Big Blue's upgrades while the grandkids are here.

I have a good friend who was a body shop owner. Retired now, but he gave me a reason why masking paper was better than newspaper for painting. Quite simply, the newspaper is slightly porous and can bleed through. Masking paper is not as porous. Made sense to me.

That is one thing you have to worry about but if you fold over the edge of the paper about 2 inches then put the tape on holds off bleed thru. That is the way dad told me to do it and never had any bleed thru.

The other thing they say is fiber lint getting into the paint job from news paper. If that ever happened I never seen it but back in the day with single stage it had orange peel so it would be hard to see.

I could get away with news paper as "I" (not a pro) will be painting the truck in my garage so dirt / dust & bugs is a bigger worry.

I also don't has access to news paper. Besides not being a pro might as well look /act like one when masking for paint!

Gary, good to hear BB got an award with out even trying LOL.

Everyone else I see have been busy working on their trucks, well done guys.

Me have not touched mine .... been to damn hot!

Dave ----