Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

A long time back I suggested having these unobtainable pivots CAD modeled (I-6 & V-8) so owners could get one 3D printed through Shapeways, Xometry, or another service.

While straight up scans of the part might need to be modified for finish machining if the pivot needs a reamed bore or polished OD the prints are quite strong and tight tolerance.

Cost should be reasonable as the volume is small.

Porsche has been doing this for their classic cars for quite some time.

And they print things that are pretty large like struts and control arms.

Yea that would be nice and I am sure once they have done 1 or 2 it would be in their system and hopw just call them to make more.

I sent an email to slicktruckparts.com to see how much they want for the one they have and if not to much may get it to see how much different it is as he told my son they were the same 65 - 83?

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I was supposed to finish a parking brake cable replacement (both rear cables, left side rusted and seized)... but my coworker gave me and at least one other coworker COVID! :nabble_smiley_scared:

(Just flu symptoms... I was vaxxed but not boosted)

Worst part is I had the rear wheels off on jackstands... on asphalt, no plywood. That'll be fun to dig out when I'm feeling better enough to work on it.

I feel for you.

They wide & I had all the shots and got it. I dont know where I got it from and gave it to the wife.

It kicked our butts, I was on a inhaler and the wife is still fighting a cough that sounds nasty :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

The both of us also get tired easily, wife more then me.

Take care of your self, it will take time to recover.

Dave ----

A long time back I suggested having these unobtainable pivots CAD modeled (I-6 & V-8) so owners could get one 3D printed through Shapeways, Xometry, or another service.

While straight up scans of the part might need to be modified for finish machining if the pivot needs a reamed bore or polished OD the prints are quite strong and tight tolerance.

Cost should be reasonable as the volume is small.

Porsche has been doing this for their classic cars for quite some time.

And they print things that are pretty large like struts and control arms.

Yea that would be nice and I am sure once they have done 1 or 2 it would be in their system and hopw just call them to make more.

I sent an email to slicktruckparts.com to see how much they want for the one they have and if not to much may get it to see how much different it is as he told my son they were the same 65 - 83?

Dave ----

I really can't say how long that pivot was used.

Gary might be able to look up the part number and see if it has superceded other numbers going back to the mid '60's

Gary did the drawings for the dash patches that Ron (Reamer) is selling.

I know they did a little iteration of the retaining bosses and collar but now that the revised file is in the library all you have to do is order it through the website.

The photogrammetry (3D scanning) is easy enough if there is an original part. But I would think if there is a threaded boss or hole that part would need to be built up in CAD to a nominal dimension for root of a tap or crest of a die (at 75% or whatever of the thread form) or a bit below nominal for a reamed fit.

I don't think Shapeways does much beyond cleaning up the printed parts but Xometry will definitely create a turnkey part if those finish operations are beyond the purchasers abilities.

Xometry are basically an online printing & machining broker/contractor. They don't do anything in-house, just put it out to their subs.

Another interesting online resource is 'Send Cut Send'.

You can have just about any kind of sheet, plate or stock laser or water jet cut and delivered with minimal turnaround.

This might be ideal for things like the smaller triangular firewall brace for hydraulic clutches.

Just have the bends 'stitched' with an interrupted cut so you can easily fold the sides up in a vise and then weld it solid.

Again, you need to spec the material and provide the drawing.

I really can't say how long that pivot was used.

Gary might be able to look up the part number and see if it has superceded other numbers going back to the mid '60's

Gary did the drawings for the dash patches that Ron (Reamer) is selling.

I know they did a little iteration of the retaining bosses and collar but now that the revised file is in the library all you have to do is order it through the website.

The photogrammetry (3D scanning) is easy enough if there is an original part. But I would think if there is a threaded boss or hole that part would need to be built up in CAD to a nominal dimension for root of a tap or crest of a die (at 75% or whatever of the thread form) or a bit below nominal for a reamed fit.

I don't think Shapeways does much beyond cleaning up the printed parts but Xometry will definitely create a turnkey part if those finish operations are beyond the purchasers abilities.

Xometry are basically an online printing & machining broker/contractor. They don't do anything in-house, just put it out to their subs.

Another interesting online resource is 'Send Cut Send'.

You can have just about any kind of sheet, plate or stock laser or water jet cut and delivered with minimal turnaround.

This might be ideal for things like the smaller triangular firewall brace for hydraulic clutches.

Just have the bends 'stitched' with an interrupted cut so you can easily fold the sides up in a vise and then weld it solid.

Again, you need to spec the material and provide the drawing.

Larry - So sorry to see that you and Jenn have COVID! I hope both of you get over it quickly and w/o any lasting problems. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Dave - Here's the Bullnose part number for the pivot:

7a535_orig.thumb.jpg.c9cd7979e8ca00b500ab45d76238072a.jpg

And here's the earlier part number for the pivot. You might measure yours and see if one of these will fit:

Dent__Bump_7A535_Listings.thumb.png.ab8a5963fb4b0f5820835593ec94234e.png

And here's the illustration:

mechanical-linkage-b_1.thumb.jpg.0d320525b2d7c69cdc3ce07c91b91083.jpg

Larry - So sorry to see that you and Jenn have COVID! I hope both of you get over it quickly and w/o any lasting problems. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And here's the earlier part number for the pivot. You might measure yours and see if one of these will fit:

Jenn doesn't have it (knock on wood)... Although I have my doubts as to how long that'll hold. She's keeping away from me when possible, and masking when not possible.

Larry - So sorry to see that you and Jenn have COVID! I hope both of you get over it quickly and w/o any lasting problems. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Covid is no joke. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery Larry.

Looking at the illustration it seems the I-6 pivot is a pretty straightforward turning operation if you had the 1" hex stock or a CNC machine that could mill those flats in one setup.

Dave, C5TZ-A (through'77) definitely has a different thread and projection than the D7TZ pivot for our trucks.

The other two V-8 pivots that have the complex mounts were the ones I had asked about modelling for additive manufacturing.

Covid is no joke. I wish you a speedy and complete recovery Larry.

Looking at the illustration it seems the I-6 pivot is a pretty straightforward turning operation if you had the 1" hex stock or a CNC machine that could mill those flats in one setup.

Dave, C5TZ-A (through'77) definitely has a different thread and projection than the D7TZ pivot for our trucks.

The other two V-8 pivots that have the complex mounts were the ones I had asked about modelling for additive manufacturing.

Thanks Gary & Jim,

Of course they dont list the size of the 1 I need but the top one on the list of the early ones may? work as it looks to have the right thread pitch.

I have not measured the bushing end or how long, dont know if I can on how long as I have "fixed" this one and it is not right, to long IIRC.

Slicktruckparts gave a picture to my son of the one he said fits from 65 to 83 and from what I see the threaded part is not threaded up to the nut flange where I believe mine is.

But now seeing they are different just in the 70's (threads & how long) he is not right as I thought.

If it has a 9/16 - 12 thread then I may get it to see if it will work.

As Jim said on machining one it looks easy, dont need flats like a nut just one on each side to grab to screw it in. Just need a good one to measure from LOL

Someone also said maybe have it 3D printed as they have stuff that is strong enough that older car people (Jay Leno) use to make parts when you cant get them anymore.

I may install the "fixed" one and hope I find the new one and look into what it would take to have a few made for me or sell. I have spent money on more stupid things :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now do I feel like going to the garage to look for it and work on the truck :nabble_anim_confused: it is a lot cooler now so it would be the time to do so.

Dave ----

Thanks Gary & Jim,

Of course they dont list the size of the 1 I need but the top one on the list of the early ones may? work as it looks to have the right thread pitch.

I have not measured the bushing end or how long, dont know if I can on how long as I have "fixed" this one and it is not right, to long IIRC.

Slicktruckparts gave a picture to my son of the one he said fits from 65 to 83 and from what I see the threaded part is not threaded up to the nut flange where I believe mine is.

But now seeing they are different just in the 70's (threads & how long) he is not right as I thought.

If it has a 9/16 - 12 thread then I may get it to see if it will work.

As Jim said on machining one it looks easy, dont need flats like a nut just one on each side to grab to screw it in. Just need a good one to measure from LOL

Someone also said maybe have it 3D printed as they have stuff that is strong enough that older car people (Jay Leno) use to make parts when you cant get them anymore.

I may install the "fixed" one and hope I find the new one and look into what it would take to have a few made for me or sell. I have spent money on more stupid things :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now do I feel like going to the garage to look for it and work on the truck :nabble_anim_confused: it is a lot cooler now so it would be the time to do so.

Dave ----

I think the one you need is '77 & on. D7TZ 7A535 -A. (but there must be some difference from the E0TZ #?)

Edit: if you know yours has a 9/16 thread it might be worth a shot to get the one from slicktruckparts and see if it fits?

All those basic dimensions are listed.

3D printing a lathe part is pointless.

I was looking at the other two pivots with big bosses thinking one was Windsor and the other was 1-6.

But in reality the other is for the big block bell pattern found on 335 & 385 series engines.

Sorry for my mistake..... :nabble_smiley_blush:

I think the one you need is '77 & on. D7TZ 7A535 -A. (but there must be some difference from the E0TZ #?)

Edit: if you know yours has a 9/16 thread it might be worth a shot to get the one from slicktruckparts and see if it fits?

I was looking at the other two pivots with big bosses thinking one was Windsor and the other was 1-6.

But in reality the other is for the big block bell pattern found on 335 & 385 series engines.

The D7TZ is 1/2 - 13 thread the C5TZ is 9/16 - 12 thread and what I need as the block thread is 9/16.

The bushing ends all look the same of the early one I just dont know what mine is.

As for the 3D / machine I did not mean to machine a 3D one, do 1 or the other LOL

Its what ever I could find around here that could make the part if I had a good one for measurements.

Now where would I put a spare part I would not loose when I need it :nabble_anim_confused: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

The D7TZ is 1/2 - 13 thread the C5TZ is 9/16 - 12 thread and what I need as the block thread is 9/16.

The bushing ends all look the same of the early one I just dont know what mine is.

As for the 3D / machine I did not mean to machine a 3D one, do 1 or the other LOL

Its what ever I could find around here that could make the part if I had a good one for measurements.

Now where would I put a spare part I would not loose when I need it :nabble_anim_confused: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

"In a safe place" is the last thing you think before a spare is truly lost.

Of course as soon as you buy another, that part will fall off a shelf and knock you on the head! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: