Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

From what I've seen, the solid Spicers look very similar to OE joints (or what came on both of my rangers at least)... which makes me wonder if Dana/Spicer was Ford's OE.

Part of me says go ahead and redo the joint so it's facing the right way. Part of me says as relatively cheap as they are, if I'm going to pull it, might as well replace it. As greasable joints have to be maintained to last... they're only better if one actually greases them routinely.

You are thinking just like me. Do I replace it or is it good? Personally, I would buy a new one and then, when I had it in hand, I would pull the one out and check it over. If it is perfect then I'd put it back. If not, replace it.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've also heard that there can be a smaller downside to greaseables when you over-grease them and push grease out of the seals. That (I've heard) can open up a leak path and make it more likely that contamination can get in.

SO how do you grease the greaseable joints if grease dose not get pushed out?

I was told you grease joints & tie rods till you see fresh grease come out.

This way the old dirty grease is pushed out and new grease is in its place.

Dave ----

I've also heard that there can be a smaller downside to greaseables when you over-grease them and push grease out of the seals. That (I've heard) can open up a leak path and make it more likely that contamination can get in.

SO how do you grease the greaseable joints if grease dose not get pushed out?

I was told you grease joints & tie rods till you see fresh grease come out.

This way the old dirty grease is pushed out and new grease is in its place.

Dave ----

What "they" say is that overgreasing (to the point where you push grease out) is not a good thing. But again, who are "they" and what do "they" know? When I grease things it's usually until I get clean grease out. But I don't clain to know anything either. It all just makes me feel a little better about getting non-greaseable U-joints because I'm not just being lazy, it's Better! (but I usually end up with greaseables...)

What "they" say is that overgreasing (to the point where you push grease out) is not a good thing. But again, who are "they" and what do "they" know? When I grease things it's usually until I get clean grease out. But I don't clain to know anything either. It all just makes me feel a little better about getting non-greaseable U-joints because I'm not just being lazy, it's Better! (but I usually end up with greaseables...)

Gentlemen,

Is there some documentation on the Forum about the greasing points on a Bullnose, a list or some kind of diagram identifying and locating them?

I searched and did not find…

Thanks!

Gentlemen,

Is there some documentation on the Forum about the greasing points on a Bullnose, a list or some kind of diagram identifying and locating them?

I searched and did not find…

Thanks!

I think there's info on that in the owner's manuals, and those can be found in the Manuals & Literature section. There's also the 1990 Maintenance Schedule & Log that gives some, and those trucks are quite similar to ours.

I think there's info on that in the owner's manuals, and those can be found in the Manuals & Literature section. There's also the 1990 Maintenance Schedule & Log that gives some, and those trucks are quite similar to ours.

And then there's U-Joints (as discussed) and ball joints, both not greaseable in stock form but can be swapped for greaseable units. My F150 still has non-greaseable ball joints (stock?) but both of the 1995 Ranger's I've owned blew theirs and I swapped for greaseable units.

On my RWD Bullnose, the only stock grease points I have are the four joints in the tie rod system (pitman arm, intermediate, and two tie-rod ends). I've never owned a Ford with this, but I've had things with two-piece driveshafts (1999 Dodge Durango; front drive shaft) where the telescoping joint had a zerk fitting.

And then there's U-Joints (as discussed) and ball joints, both not greaseable in stock form but can be swapped for greaseable units. My F150 still has non-greaseable ball joints (stock?) but both of the 1995 Ranger's I've owned blew theirs and I swapped for greaseable units.

On my RWD Bullnose, the only stock grease points I have are the four joints in the tie rod system (pitman arm, intermediate, and two tie-rod ends). I've never owned a Ford with this, but I've had things with two-piece driveshafts (1999 Dodge Durango; front drive shaft) where the telescoping joint had a zerk fitting.

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

I have a tractor with a lot of grease points, I know by heart each of them. But I never realized that there were probably some zerks under Big Brother.

Shame on me…

:nabble_smiley_blush:

Found that, for those interested dummies like me.

In the Scheduled Maintenance Chart, it always says «lube...when equipped with grease fittings». So some inspection is required, not necessarily installed on each truck.

Grease_points-2x4.thumb.jpg.f9f90a611dffb615dd4255b7285647de.jpg

Grease_points-4x4.thumb.jpg.80f84f061adac037323dcce745de44ee.jpg

Found that, for those interested dummies like me.

In the Scheduled Maintenance Chart, it always says «lube...when equipped with grease fittings». So some inspection is required, not necessarily installed on each truck.

I had some fun with Jiffy lube several times. First was our 1955 Packard Patrician, thing had a load of grease fittings 6 + the king pins on each side of the front suspension, 2 on each tie rod and 2 on the idler arm, 1 on the pitman arm.

Then there were 2 front torsion bar pivots and 2 rear, 2 levelizer bar pivots and 4 on the levelizer rods. 2 U-joints, the transmission shifter cross shaft had 1, so that is 28 that I can remember.

Next was the 1981 Omni, they broke the vacuum line tee connecting to the air filter, then claimed they had never touched it. When asked how they checked the air filter, the tech said "we took it off and opened it" Bingo, that's how you broke the tee. Then "we greased your upper and lower ball joints" on a Macpherson strut suspension, give me a break!

Final one was on Darth, full service including transmission (C6). They told me they couldn't drain the converter as a 1986 didn't have a drain plug. I told them if it didn't I would pay double for the service, if it did the service should be free. They didn't take that deal (I think someone figured out I knew better than they did).

I had some fun with Jiffy lube several times. First was our 1955 Packard Patrician, thing had a load of grease fittings 6 + the king pins on each side of the front suspension, 2 on each tie rod and 2 on the idler arm, 1 on the pitman arm.

Then there were 2 front torsion bar pivots and 2 rear, 2 levelizer bar pivots and 4 on the levelizer rods. 2 U-joints, the transmission shifter cross shaft had 1, so that is 28 that I can remember.

Next was the 1981 Omni, they broke the vacuum line tee connecting to the air filter, then claimed they had never touched it. When asked how they checked the air filter, the tech said "we took it off and opened it" Bingo, that's how you broke the tee. Then "we greased your upper and lower ball joints" on a Macpherson strut suspension, give me a break!

Final one was on Darth, full service including transmission (C6). They told me they couldn't drain the converter as a 1986 didn't have a drain plug. I told them if it didn't I would pay double for the service, if it did the service should be free. They didn't take that deal (I think someone figured out I knew better than they did).

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: