Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Sounds like a good plan, Shaun. If I remember right the welding is on the top and bottom flanges, right? So no serious heating to the vertical part of the frame? That's frowned upon.

Yep, top and bottom. There is a rivet at the bottom front, two on the engine crossmember, and one up above. I'll be putting bolts in those spots. The 4x2 frames have two holes (each side) at the front for the sway bar bracket (the one that always gets bent up on half tons). But of course the holes in the 4x2 frame don't line up with the holes in the 4x4 bracket. One of the holes is really close, so I may be able to trim the bracket to bring it in line with that existing hole.

Tracked my timing curve to post up so I can get the pinging under control.

Also tracked down the oil leak I have, timing cover gasket at top is bad.

Will order the gasket set & dist. spring kit tomorrow.

Dave ----

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tracked my timing curve to post up so I can get the pinging under control.

Also tracked down the oil leak I have, timing cover gasket at top is bad.

Will order the gasket set & dist. spring kit tomorrow.

Dave ----

Today I bought a used alternator adjustment arm and a used power steering pulley (for a 460) since I realized what I have was not correct for a 460. Merry Christmas to my F350. :nabble_money-mouth-face-23x23_orig:

Shoutout to Gary for the documentation section as it is MUCH easier to find part numbers here than to have to load up the MPC and then search it to find what I'm looking for.

Today I bought a used alternator adjustment arm and a used power steering pulley (for a 460) since I realized what I have was not correct for a 460. Merry Christmas to my F350. :nabble_money-mouth-face-23x23_orig:

Shoutout to Gary for the documentation section as it is MUCH easier to find part numbers here than to have to load up the MPC and then search it to find what I'm looking for.

Dave - I replied to your timing issues on your other thread. But what's the issue with the valve cover? Is it bent or???

Shaun - One piece at a time and you'll eventually get there. Are you getting closer to having the RH frame support on?

Dave - I replied to your timing issues on your other thread. But what's the issue with the valve cover? Is it bent or???

I am making my rounds and have not gotten over there yet.

It is not the valve cover but the timing cover at the top.

I replaced the valve cover, side cover & oil pan gaskets before I put the motor back inthe frame and thought that would fix all the oil leaks. Then again the dirt & grease was so thick it was hard to tell where any oil was leaking form.

The gasket between the block & cover must have a opening.

At idle it does not leak but bring the RPM up and sure enough I can see where it is being pushed out.

I tried to tighten the bolt close by but it did not move, think I tried before but did not see where it was leaking from.

I was going to see about the gasket swap next weekend but I have a show on new years day.

Maybe if I am off or out of work early Friday I can get on it and be done for the show?

Dave ----

I am making my rounds and have not gotten over there yet.

It is not the valve cover but the timing cover at the top.

I replaced the valve cover, side cover & oil pan gaskets before I put the motor back inthe frame and thought that would fix all the oil leaks. Then again the dirt & grease was so thick it was hard to tell where any oil was leaking form.

The gasket between the block & cover must have a opening.

At idle it does not leak but bring the RPM up and sure enough I can see where it is being pushed out.

I tried to tighten the bolt close by but it did not move, think I tried before but did not see where it was leaking from.

I was going to see about the gasket swap next weekend but I have a show on new years day.

Maybe if I am off or out of work early Friday I can get on it and be done for the show?

Dave ----

Well, my 460 alternator bracket and power steering pulley came in.

The alternator bracket was labeled as coming from a 1983 F150 with a 302/351W, but the engineering numbers don't lie, and neither do the pictures of Gary's 460. Maybe somebody had 460 swapped an F150, and they weren't able to tell. :nabble_smiley_good:

Unfortunately, there are thread marks in the center of the power steering pulley. Not really sure how that happened, but I'm sure it happened during removal since these are pressed on. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be usable, because the threads are pretty course and although they're only at the bottom and towards the front, they'll probably mar the power steering pump shaft even if I were to smooth out the thread marks.

Well, my 460 alternator bracket and power steering pulley came in.

The alternator bracket was labeled as coming from a 1983 F150 with a 302/351W, but the engineering numbers don't lie, and neither do the pictures of Gary's 460. Maybe somebody had 460 swapped an F150, and they weren't able to tell. :nabble_smiley_good:

Unfortunately, there are thread marks in the center of the power steering pulley. Not really sure how that happened, but I'm sure it happened during removal since these are pressed on. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be usable, because the threads are pretty course and although they're only at the bottom and towards the front, they'll probably mar the power steering pump shaft even if I were to smooth out the thread marks.

Glad you got the right bracket. :nabble_smiley_good:

But that's a bummer on the pulley. However, I doubt the pulley would mar the shaft as the shaft appears to be very hard. On the other hand, if you polish very much you might have a problem with the pulley slipping on the shaft.

Glad you got the right bracket. :nabble_smiley_good:

But that's a bummer on the pulley. However, I doubt the pulley would mar the shaft as the shaft appears to be very hard. On the other hand, if you polish very much you might have a problem with the pulley slipping on the shaft.

I took a little emery cloth to the inside of the pulley to mellow out just the small threaded area. I have a couple of core power steering pumps in the shop, so I test fit the pulley and found exactly what you mentioned, that the pump's shaft is made of a much harder metal than the pulley. No marks on the core pump's shaft, so I'd say it's useable. :nabble_smiley_good:

I took a little emery cloth to the inside of the pulley to mellow out just the small threaded area. I have a couple of core power steering pumps in the shop, so I test fit the pulley and found exactly what you mentioned, that the pump's shaft is made of a much harder metal than the pulley. No marks on the core pump's shaft, so I'd say it's useable. :nabble_smiley_good:

Great! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Great! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Received 3 blank door keys and 3 blank ignition keys from LMC. They have the Ford logo etc on them. Took them to my local Wilco farm store and the guy cut them all for me - free of charge.

I have a set of shiny new keys for all the trucks and a full set of spares.

Very happy!

Received 3 blank door keys and 3 blank ignition keys from LMC. They have the Ford logo etc on them. Took them to my local Wilco farm store and the guy cut them all for me - free of charge.

I have a set of shiny new keys for all the trucks and a full set of spares.

Very happy!

Great! Good to know.