Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Interesting. Does the tubing slide in/out where the ovals are to adjust for width? If so and you slide it out farther won't that put the hitch farther to the rear?

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n108176/Daves_Hitch.jpg

Yes it does slide out for different width frames.

If you look just to the inside of your marks there is 1 one bolt installed, hole where the other would be. You loose them and slide them out.

As for it moving it out away from the truck if it does it should not be by much if any.

After looking at it the tubes move in a arc and cant see it moving in or out.

Just for you if I can remember I will take measurements LOL

Dave ----

Yes, I saw the bolt and assumed it kept it from sliding. But if the arms slide out at an angle the back end has to move backward. I'm curious how much. I'll bet an inch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I saw the bolt and assumed it kept it from sliding. But if the arms slide out at an angle the back end has to move backward. I'm curious how much. I'll bet an inch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yesterday I did a little work on the truck being I had the day off and it was pretty warm, mid 50's.

First was to look into the choke as it was not opening when I took the truck to work the other day, it was 28* out. I leaned out out and checked a few things. I need to do more adjustments and testing when it gets cold again.

The other was to swap the frame plates on my trailer hitch so I could mount the spare tire.

In doing so I also moved it back a few inches so it is tucked under the bumper more.

Because of that the points I used to measure if moving the sliding part out would move the receiver in or out as it went wider. Sorry Gary I tried :nabble_smiley_good:

In moving the frame plates out my plate mount had to be modified as the plate now hit the frame plate.

I had to cut part of the part that bolts to the body and drill a new hole. It is now held on with 1 bolt / nut but should be ok.

With the hitch now mounted I was able to mount the spare tire. Sorry I did not get any pictures I was not feeling good. I had to stop in the middle to rest just to finish it.

If it makes you feel better I was still not feeling good for dinner so did not eat and was in bed by 5pm.

When under the hood with the choke I checked the oil and had to add a qt but the milk shake is back :nabble_smiley_angry:

Last few times out with the truck I did not run it long so that could be it but in the past I have driven it 40 min. each way to work, both high way 1 way and back roads the other. Everything works, PVC and motor had a good 195* stat.

On the way to work, 1am, I looked down at the gauges and the oil gauge is at 0 :nabble_smiley_scared: Dont know how long it was like that but no noise from motor so on I went.

When I got out I checked the wire and it was still on the sender so need to check deeper on that.

Why I looked at the oil gauge was the temp gauge was higher than normal but more to where I would like to see it, just short of middle. Most of the time it sits on the first line.

Also yesterday I adjusted the vacuum advance and went the wrong way so adjusted it the other way, still need to go more as it still pings under throttle.

So with all I did I dont know if I got more fixed or found more things that need fixing :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

Yesterday I did a little work on the truck being I had the day off and it was pretty warm, mid 50's.

First was to look into the choke as it was not opening when I took the truck to work the other day, it was 28* out. I leaned out out and checked a few things. I need to do more adjustments and testing when it gets cold again.

The other was to swap the frame plates on my trailer hitch so I could mount the spare tire.

In doing so I also moved it back a few inches so it is tucked under the bumper more.

Because of that the points I used to measure if moving the sliding part out would move the receiver in or out as it went wider. Sorry Gary I tried :nabble_smiley_good:

In moving the frame plates out my plate mount had to be modified as the plate now hit the frame plate.

I had to cut part of the part that bolts to the body and drill a new hole. It is now held on with 1 bolt / nut but should be ok.

With the hitch now mounted I was able to mount the spare tire. Sorry I did not get any pictures I was not feeling good. I had to stop in the middle to rest just to finish it.

If it makes you feel better I was still not feeling good for dinner so did not eat and was in bed by 5pm.

When under the hood with the choke I checked the oil and had to add a qt but the milk shake is back :nabble_smiley_angry:

Last few times out with the truck I did not run it long so that could be it but in the past I have driven it 40 min. each way to work, both high way 1 way and back roads the other. Everything works, PVC and motor had a good 195* stat.

On the way to work, 1am, I looked down at the gauges and the oil gauge is at 0 :nabble_smiley_scared: Dont know how long it was like that but no noise from motor so on I went.

When I got out I checked the wire and it was still on the sender so need to check deeper on that.

Why I looked at the oil gauge was the temp gauge was higher than normal but more to where I would like to see it, just short of middle. Most of the time it sits on the first line.

Also yesterday I adjusted the vacuum advance and went the wrong way so adjusted it the other way, still need to go more as it still pings under throttle.

So with all I did I dont know if I got more fixed or found more things that need fixing :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

Oh I forgot I heard a exh leak under the truck and in checking it out I found the parts truck muffler is coming apart where the inlet pipe enters is loose :nabble_smiley_sad:

Now if I go and replace it I think I will get a front pipe or is that the mid pipe just in front of the muffler?

Then I can remove the adapter pipes from the Y pipe to the parts truck mid pipe and run the larger pipe & muffler inlet / outlet then adapt the tail pipe.

Maybe look into something with a little sound as it is way to quite :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Dave ----

Oh I forgot I heard a exh leak under the truck and in checking it out I found the parts truck muffler is coming apart where the inlet pipe enters is loose :nabble_smiley_sad:

Now if I go and replace it I think I will get a front pipe or is that the mid pipe just in front of the muffler?

Then I can remove the adapter pipes from the Y pipe to the parts truck mid pipe and run the larger pipe & muffler inlet / outlet then adapt the tail pipe.

Maybe look into something with a little sound as it is way to quite :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Dave ----

I like Magnaflow mufflers. Deep but not too loud if you go with the longer ones.

I like Magnaflow mufflers. Deep but not too loud if you go with the longer ones.

Remember this is a straight six not the old mighty v8 :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Don't think I am going to get any deep sound from it :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Dave ----

The 300 has roughly the same bore and stroke as the 400. So should have a nice, deep sound with the right muff.

They do, they sound like a Jaguar E-type. They had a smaller displacement, but long stroke DOHC design.

But I think that was 3 into 1 pipe and true duals all the way to the rear.

They did not sound bad at all but would that sound fit a truck :nabble_smiley_evil:

I have some time I think before I have to replace it so I can start looking for a nice sounding setup.

Dave ----

They do, they sound like a Jaguar E-type. They had a smaller displacement, but long stroke DOHC design.

But I think that was 3 into 1 pipe and true duals all the way to the rear.

They did not sound bad at all but would that sound fit a truck :nabble_smiley_evil:

I have some time I think before I have to replace it so I can start looking for a nice sounding setup.

Dave ----

My department manager at NNS has a 1987 F150, EFI 300 that had duals on it when he bought it. It sounded pretty good, the E-type jags had two mirror image manifolds that had the outlets toward the center so the downpipes were exactly that, went down, back, curved to the center behind the transmission then back. The mufflers were behind the rear suspension cage.

My department manager at NNS has a 1987 F150, EFI 300 that had duals on it when he bought it. It sounded pretty good, the E-type jags had two mirror image manifolds that had the outlets toward the center so the downpipes were exactly that, went down, back, curved to the center behind the transmission then back. The mufflers were behind the rear suspension cage.

As I thought true duals.

As for the mufflers did it have normal mufflers?

Out back you could see what looked like glass packs but could have been resonators?

Dave ----