Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Picked up another new pump, the 1st was bad out of the box.

Got it installed, filled up the small gas jug and a hose from jug to pump. Little juice down the carb and it fired up and ran pretty good for not adjusting the carb yet.

Did a quick adjust but think I have a vacuum leak some place as I am not 100% happy on the way the adjustments went.

The oil psi gauge now works, was a bad sender and the temp gauge did come up some but did not run motor long. Tach was reading about 1000 but think the motor was lower by sound.

Motor also has a little miss and think a plug fouled when the carb was dumping fuel down intake. I know the compression was good before I pulled the truck apart I also have new cap/rotor & wires to install yet.

I also put my volt meter on the batt. and as guessed the ALT is not charging. I could have it wired wrong as the truck has a different plug for ALT than the ALT so I made up a short harness.

Then again the ALT and/or REG could be bad as I never checked if charging before I pulled the truck apart.

BUT IT RUNS!

Dave ----

Congrats!!!! :nabble_anim_claps: I'm jealous.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up another new pump, the 1st was bad out of the box.

Got it installed, filled up the small gas jug and a hose from jug to pump. Little juice down the carb and it fired up and ran pretty good for not adjusting the carb yet.

Did a quick adjust but think I have a vacuum leak some place as I am not 100% happy on the way the adjustments went.

The oil psi gauge now works, was a bad sender and the temp gauge did come up some but did not run motor long. Tach was reading about 1000 but think the motor was lower by sound.

Motor also has a little miss and think a plug fouled when the carb was dumping fuel down intake. I know the compression was good before I pulled the truck apart I also have new cap/rotor & wires to install yet.

I also put my volt meter on the batt. and as guessed the ALT is not charging. I could have it wired wrong as the truck has a different plug for ALT than the ALT so I made up a short harness.

Then again the ALT and/or REG could be bad as I never checked if charging before I pulled the truck apart.

BUT IT RUNS!

Dave ----

Oh almost forgot I got the tail gate and fuel door from a flare side.

I have not forgotten to do a write up on the fuel doors between flare sides & style sides.

20180423_180846.jpg.7af3c81c88f7242763dcb59278c6b427.jpg

Chains & latch assy. needs a little cleaning

20180423_180956.jpg.d9e189a74f41fb07a9977eae420fb45a.jpg

Fuel door that I will graft on to my fender for the rear tank as I have duel tanks now.

20180423_180916.jpg.2db4ccc17feb08aa061dc890999d7865.jpg

Dave ----

Oh almost forgot I got the tail gate and fuel door from a flare side.

I have not forgotten to do a write up on the fuel doors between flare sides & style sides.

Chains & latch assy. needs a little cleaning

Fuel door that I will graft on to my fender for the rear tank as I have duel tanks now.

Dave ----

Dave - Glad your brother came through. Nice to have helpful brothers. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, this showed up on Facebook today. Does anyone else find it offensive? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Finish_The_One_You_Started.thumb.jpg.49be50c69b8b184f9cac9797531014ed.jpg

Dave - Glad your brother came through. Nice to have helpful brothers. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, this showed up on Facebook today. Does anyone else find it offensive? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Filled up Big Blue today:

19.000 gallon tank

-16.959 fillup

-2.590 added two days ago

------------

-.549 gallons

I'd driven 5.5 miles since adding the 2.590 gallons, and assuming 10.0 MPG for those miles the tank was totally and completely EMPTY! No wonder BB was stumbling badly as I pulled into the station the other day.

And, that makes the math on Big Blue's MPG while towing: 140 miles divided by 19.0 gallons gives 7.4 MPG. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I hope the EFI trick makes a difference there. I know he's running quite rich when towing as the tailpipe is black.

Filled up Big Blue today:

19.000 gallon tank

-16.959 fillup

-2.590 added two days ago

------------

-.549 gallons

I'd driven 5.5 miles since adding the 2.590 gallons, and assuming 10.0 MPG for those miles the tank was totally and completely EMPTY! No wonder BB was stumbling badly as I pulled into the station the other day.

And, that makes the math on Big Blue's MPG while towing: 140 miles divided by 19.0 gallons gives 7.4 MPG. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I hope the EFI trick makes a difference there. I know he's running quite rich when towing as the tailpipe is black.

Doesn't this figure include driving before the gasoline leak was repaired?

Doesn't this figure include driving before the gasoline leak was repaired?

Yes, it does include lots of time running the engine before the leak was fixed. We winched the '60 Chevy pickup onto the trailer with Big Blue's engine running to charge the batteries, and that took some time. And then there was the drive home, and that took over two hours as I wasn't in any hurry. Plus going up to John's the next morning, getting the pickup off the trailer, and then coming home again.

All in all probably 3 hours of running, and who knows how much fuel went on the ground during that time. I don't actually know when the leak started as I didn't smell any fuel until I got home.

I'm using Big Blue to pull the trailer on Saturday to help some people move from south Tulsa to Skiatook, a round trip of 70 miles. So we shall see if the MPG improves any.

Yes, it does include lots of time running the engine before the leak was fixed. We winched the '60 Chevy pickup onto the trailer with Big Blue's engine running to charge the batteries, and that took some time. And then there was the drive home, and that took over two hours as I wasn't in any hurry. Plus going up to John's the next morning, getting the pickup off the trailer, and then coming home again.

All in all probably 3 hours of running, and who knows how much fuel went on the ground during that time. I don't actually know when the leak started as I didn't smell any fuel until I got home.

I'm using Big Blue to pull the trailer on Saturday to help some people move from south Tulsa to Skiatook, a round trip of 70 miles. So we shall see if the MPG improves any.

Try pulling the trailer and load @ 55 mph! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Try pulling the trailer and load @ 55 mph! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I know you meant that in jest as even you don't drive that slowly. :nabble_anim_blbl: But I actually thought about it - just for a moment. It would help the MPG, but unfortunately that's the peak of the odd "buzz" that goes through Big Blue when towing a load. Starts about 50 and is gone by 60, and at 55 you feel in in everything. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the header touching the frame and transmitting engine vibes, so it isn't something that is harmful. But it is also not comfortable.

Just another of the MANY things that will get fixed when I do get to EFI Big Blue. But, having already figured out that a piece of 3/16" plate under the driver's side engine mount will fix that problem, I might go ahead and cut that plate and install it. I have Huck's engine on the stand, so can easily use his mounts to get the dimensions of the plate. Hmmmm......

I know you meant that in jest as even you don't drive that slowly. :nabble_anim_blbl: But I actually thought about it - just for a moment. It would help the MPG, but unfortunately that's the peak of the odd "buzz" that goes through Big Blue when towing a load. Starts about 50 and is gone by 60, and at 55 you feel in in everything. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the header touching the frame and transmitting engine vibes, so it isn't something that is harmful. But it is also not comfortable.

Just another of the MANY things that will get fixed when I do get to EFI Big Blue. But, having already figured out that a piece of 3/16" plate under the driver's side engine mount will fix that problem, I might go ahead and cut that plate and install it. I have Huck's engine on the stand, so can easily use his mounts to get the dimensions of the plate. Hmmmm......

Time's a wastin'.....

Would you have any interest in a good used set of "protrusions"? They only have about 1200 "smiles" on the pair!!! :nabble_anim_blbl: