Bullnose Forums

Help with my 82 project

Dk46

Inside the bellhousing, at the back of the cam?

At least that's one that gets forgotten on 385's

From what I remember it is internal and why he does not have a oil slick under the truck.

I think on the 385's you get oil coming out the bell housing and most likely all over the new clutch disc if a stick.

Wish I could remember where it was on the motor I built :nabble_anim_confused:

Dave ----

Ok. I removed valve covers and run oil pump again with drill. With cold oil it barely got to 20lbs pressure and I didn’t see any oil coming from the top of the pushrods. There is some oil in the rockers and the valleys on the heads so I know it was getting a little up there when I ran it.

So then I pulled water pump, timing cover with chain and cam thrust plate. All of the oil galley plugs are in. I run the drill at about half speed for a few seconds and it pumps oil over the top of front crankshaft bearing and through the small hole above the crankshaft. Only half speed cause it will push oil over front crank bearing so hard it will miss the front of the pan..... I am at a loss of what to do next. I don’t want to put it back together because I haven’t found or changed anything. Thoughts?.? Thanks

Ok. I removed valve covers and run oil pump again with drill. With cold oil it barely got to 20lbs pressure and I didn’t see any oil coming from the top of the pushrods. There is some oil in the rockers and the valleys on the heads so I know it was getting a little up there when I ran it.

So then I pulled water pump, timing cover with chain and cam thrust plate. All of the oil galley plugs are in. I run the drill at about half speed for a few seconds and it pumps oil over the top of front crankshaft bearing and through the small hole above the crankshaft. Only half speed cause it will push oil over front crank bearing so hard it will miss the front of the pan..... I am at a loss of what to do next. I don’t want to put it back together because I haven’t found or changed anything. Thoughts?.? Thanks

What did the shop say?

It seems as if that oil is intended for the crank sprocket and cam chain.

You realize the cam turns at 1/2 crank speed and the ratio of distributor to cam teeth determine the pump rpm.

Whether it's sloppy bearing clearance or some galley plug missing, there's a reason why you don't have any oil pressure.

Can you tell us more about this hole above the crank? How big is it? Can you post a picture of it? Is it supposed to have a plug in it?

Can you tell us more about this hole above the crank? How big is it? Can you post a picture of it? Is it supposed to have a plug in it?

All the shop said was check the iol gallery plugs. Here is a photo of the hole i mentioned. The second and third pictures are of the oil running over the first crank bearing. Hard to see i know. ThanksIMG_20191027_182931.jpg.eaf3082d6204370c8a47b9cb36ccc5e4.jpgthe white arrow is pointing at hole.20191027_182036_HDR.jpg.01ef9e7e74fada3a8605845770b65312.jpg20191027_182032_HDR.jpg.ed859dda5f38aa7f6b886b81fa611e6c.jpg

All the shop said was check the iol gallery plugs. Here is a photo of the hole i mentioned. The second and third pictures are of the oil running over the first crank bearing. Hard to see i know. Thanksthe white arrow is pointing at hole.

2 things come to mind.

What does the cam plate look like, dose it have a "wing" that covers that hole?

Are you sure that port is not threaded for a plug?

I know on the 302 I did it was something so simple to over look like that hole needing a plug.

Dave ----

All the shop said was check the iol gallery plugs. Here is a photo of the hole i mentioned. The second and third pictures are of the oil running over the first crank bearing. Hard to see i know. Thanksthe white arrow is pointing at hole.

I'm guessing that hole is supposed to have a plug in it, but you'll have to check with your engine builder.

I'm guessing that hole is supposed to have a plug in it, but you'll have to check with your engine builder.

Found out the hole just below the cam is a Oiler that the cam thrust plate covers. That plate has a groove in it to move oil to the end of the shaft and cam gear.

Found out the hole just below the cam is a Oiler that the cam thrust plate covers. That plate has a groove in it to move oil to the end of the shaft and cam gear.

Time to pull engine, and plasti-guage the main bearings to check for proper clearance???

If all oil galley plugs are in place, and you know for sure the oil pump isnt defective....what else can it be other than bearing clearances being too big?

Have you double checked your oil pressure guage to make sure it is ready properly? Maybe you mentioned that in a previous post. Forgive me if you had. I dont have time to read everything.