Bullnose Forums

Parts shop can't find the right U-joints for 1986 F-250HD 2wd

My son wrenches at a local garage. Their parts supplier says they can't find out which U-joints belong on the ends of the driveshaft. They located the middle U-joint, and the carrier bearing.

I suggested using a micrometer to measure them, but apparently this particular parts shop is more like AutoZone and less like NAPA. The nearest NAPA is in the other direction from here.

A while back I spec'd a diff for our Bricknose with Custom Differentials in Bloomsdale, Missouri. They informed that the truck might have THREE different U-joints in it. Hopefully that's not the case here.

I just might have to take the driveshaft to NAPA after all.

When I installed a Ford T5 5sp in my 70 AMC Javelin that had a AMC T10 I had to use the T5 yoke and a joint to fit the yoke to the AMC drive shaft.

Like you posted I took measurements went to NAPA they pulled out the chart and I went thru it to find the one I needed.

Time to measure and hit NAPA

Dave ----

When I installed a Ford T5 5sp in my 70 AMC Javelin that had a AMC T10 I had to use the T5 yoke and a joint to fit the yoke to the AMC drive shaft.

Like you posted I took measurements went to NAPA they pulled out the chart and I went thru it to find the one I needed.

Time to measure and hit NAPA

Dave ----

Pulled the end joints and found this, except for 10+ years of congealed grease. Note differing cap sizes. Also note, the snap rings don't go in the groove on the cap, they go outside the caps. My son will take one joint to work tomorrow and I'll take its twin to Napa. Pincer attack.

Parts store says the middle joint is a Moog 254, we have that now at his work, my son will try install tomorrow.

Is there a trick to separating the splined slip joint? We tried, unsuccessfully, two big guys.

Ujoints.thumb.jpg.744effef95649c667db793bd4fb48101.jpg

Pulled the end joints and found this, except for 10+ years of congealed grease. Note differing cap sizes. Also note, the snap rings don't go in the groove on the cap, they go outside the caps. My son will take one joint to work tomorrow and I'll take its twin to Napa. Pincer attack.

Parts store says the middle joint is a Moog 254, we have that now at his work, my son will try install tomorrow.

Is there a trick to separating the splined slip joint? We tried, unsuccessfully, two big guys.

Looks like you are going to get it done. But I've not seen a production use of a u-joint with different sized caps. In fact, the snippet from the master parts catalog, below, seems to say Ford didn't use u-joints with differing cap sizes. Otherwise they'd have to have "D1" and "D2". I'm wondering if someone has installed a larger axle in that truck.

As for the splined joint, I had to put a chain through the u-joint eyes and put the other end around my lift's leg, place the differential on a cart, and roll the cart hard several times to get the stub shaft out of the diff on Dad's truck.

But you may find something in the section from the factory shop manual on the Front Drive Axle in Documentation/Driveline and then the Front Axles/Instructions/Dana 44 tabs.

646787577.thumb.jpg.fcd02d28368196bc0a8e4f08d2ad7cc2.jpg

Looks like you are going to get it done. But I've not seen a production use of a u-joint with different sized caps. In fact, the snippet from the master parts catalog, below, seems to say Ford didn't use u-joints with differing cap sizes. Otherwise they'd have to have "D1" and "D2". I'm wondering if someone has installed a larger axle in that truck.

As for the splined joint, I had to put a chain through the u-joint eyes and put the other end around my lift's leg, place the differential on a cart, and roll the cart hard several times to get the stub shaft out of the diff on Dad's truck.

But you may find something in the section from the factory shop manual on the Front Drive Axle in Documentation/Driveline and then the Front Axles/Instructions/Dana 44 tabs.

Gary, IME Ford is notorious for using combination (or 'bastard') universals.

Spicer lists them, and they are available from Moog as well.

It's not necessarily that someone swapped *yokes* or anything like that.

Yes, measure the cup diameters AND the distance across the cross both ways to ensure you're getting the right ones the first time around.

Gary, IME Ford is notorious for using combination (or 'bastard') universals.

Spicer lists them, and they are available from Moog as well.

It's not necessarily that someone swapped *yokes* or anything like that.

Yes, measure the cup diameters AND the distance across the cross both ways to ensure you're getting the right ones the first time around.

I guess I just haven't run into it.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.neapcocomponents.com/images/catalogs/9901018.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjao9Kfo6jlAhUSmuAKHdQ5BJ0QFggtMAg&usg=AOvVaw18hiXo5HfvEqXeio2i2-TU

I guess I just haven't run into it.

I have run into it many times, I had a good friend owned an independent parts store in Newport News, I could take an odd ball U-joint to him, and he could find a match to it.

I have run into combinations where not only was the cross differing lengths, the "pins" were different diameters and the caps two different styles, one would be an external snap ring the other internal.

I have run into it many times, I had a good friend owned an independent parts store in Newport News, I could take an odd ball U-joint to him, and he could find a match to it.

I have run into combinations where not only was the cross differing lengths, the "pins" were different diameters and the caps two different styles, one would be an external snap ring the other internal.

Since I was a punk kid street racer with a jacked-up 289 Mustang I hi-po'd (never lost a race), I've heard Ford parts guys gripe about how hard Furd makes their jobs; Partial production, substitutions, obsolete, check the VIN...maybe, here - try these two.

So I'm ready to believe anything. Both front and rear U-joints are the same, but the larger cap is on the driveshaft side. This might be a case of somebody putting in a better driveshaft since 1986.