Bullnose Forums

Vent window frame question?

FuzzFace2

Project just came to a screeching stop!

After fighting for a long time installing the new rubber and noted the new was not just like the old but moved on any way. Then found I installed it wrong and had to fix that.

Go to install the frame and cant get it to go in?

I even pulled the glass back out and still will not fit so I then try the other side I have not pulled apart yet and it will not fit also WTH?

I should point out that I had to get new frames as mine were rotten.

So I pulled out the old ones to match up and that is when it all turned to http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/poo-23_orig.png

This is what I found.

20191013_120439.jpg.ec7a3659956444206f51285ffcce4d0f.jpg

20191013_120456.jpg.cf24701461e04dfc6e69eb086b285ba9.jpg

I could not get them to fit because they were to long maybe 4" (did not measure) and was thinking I can cut off the extra and should fit but ...........

If you look the channel the glass would fit in it also wider.

Think they are from a newer truck? I got them years ago and don't remember from who now.

Now it looks like there is a spacer in there that takes up the extra space but they would then mean the glass is skinner.

So the question(s) is do you think I can use them by cutting the channel shorter to fit in the door?

What do I do about the spacer in the channel? I don't think the new channel seal will sit all the way in to

the bottom?

Anyone have good vent window frames they want to sell for a 81 truck?

Dave ----

Dave,

Maybe they changed at some point along the way? I went back and looked at my pics, and I think my 1984 window frames would be the long ones?

I think an easy way to tell at least from the 2 I have and not have to pull the frames, I know you are not going to and I don't want you to, is to measure the metal frame.

I will go back out and measure the 2 I have and get back.

Old frame is

1" wide

31" long

New frame is

1.5" wide

36" long

So Cory what do yours measure 1" or 1.5" wide?

Dave ----

I think an easy way to tell at least from the 2 I have and not have to pull the frames, I know you are not going to and I don't want you to, is to measure the metal frame.

Old frame is

1" wide

31" long

New frame is

1.5" wide

36" long

Dave ----

Dave,

My inner door panels are still not installed so I have access to the window frames. Mine is 1" wide and approx 31" long. 1984 F150.

Old frame is

1" wide

31" long

New frame is

1.5" wide

36" long

Dave ----

Bricknose trucks have the wider divider between vent and side Windows.

Old frame is

1" wide

31" long

New frame is

1.5" wide

36" long

Dave ----

Dave,

My inner door panels are still not installed so I have access to the window frames. Mine is 1" wide and approx 31" long. 1984 F150.

Thanks yours are like my old ones.

I don't mind cutting the new ones shorter I just don't know if that 1/2" will cause any issues.

What I may do is pull out the new channel seal and see how it sits in the frame.

Then if it looks like it may work I can cut and install and see if the glass will fit.

I just want a little more information before I go forward.

Dave ----

Old frame is

1" wide

31" long

New frame is

1.5" wide

36" long

Dave ----

Dave,

Thanks yours are like my old ones.

I don't mind cutting the new ones shorter I just don't know if that 1/2" will cause any issues.

What I may do is pull out the new channel seal and see how it sits in the frame.

Then if it looks like it may work I can cut and install and see if the glass will fit.

I just want a little more information before I go forward.

Dave ----

I have both sides from my 84. Not perfect but not rotted. If you may be interested let me know.

Bricknose trucks have the wider divider between vent and side Windows.

What he said.

In order to use the bricknose vent windows, you need the bricknose door glass as well. It's narrower than the bullnose glass due to the wider vent window.

Thanks guys for the replies

I thought so on the door glass.

So must be 92 on up as Bill posted 80/91HD trucks.

I have to step back and see how to attack this.

Thanks again

Dave ----