Bullnose Forums

'85 Flareside: archeology and mysteries

If the VIN said 85 with a 302 and it has FI 300 in it wonder what the frame VIN has to say?

Could it be a cab swap?

On the kick panels I would think they would match the others. Now a black rug with other inside colors I can see.

On my phone I can't really see the pictures so can't wait till on my pc.

Dave ----

Good point Dave, I'll look at the frame VIN as well. Still, I don't think it's a cab swap... at least it wouldn't have been due to rust being a factor, maybe some other reason?

Haha Ken, I knew you couldn't resist buying this truck!!...lol.

So are you going to sell the black one now?

That EFI must be a swap. As far as I'm aware, the 300 was carbed until 1987. Only the 302 got EFI part way through 1985.

Are the old SBF engine perches still there...or is there evidence that they were? I'm not sure if they need to be removed or not to install a 300.

:) I'm thinking that I'll need to sell the black one, or this one within the next several months. The CHO (Chief Home Officer) is very understanding but won't likely tolerate two trucks forever...

:) I'm thinking that I'll need to sell the black one, or this one within the next several months. The CHO (Chief Home Officer) is very understanding but won't likely tolerate two trucks forever...

What no "his & her" trucks?

It does not look that bad from here so maybe a quick fix use for a bit and if the wife does not want "hers" then up for sale it goes.

Being it is not black the body does not need to be 1000% straight.

Dave ----

What no "his & her" trucks?

It does not look that bad from here so maybe a quick fix use for a bit and if the wife does not want "hers" then up for sale it goes.

Being it is not black the body does not need to be 1000% straight.

Dave ----

Ok I just did a Carfax on the truck out of curiosity, confirmed some suspicions:

The truck was sold and lived in Palmdale, then Burbank California for the first 19 years of it's life. Get this: that first owner only drove about 5k / year, you can see the pattern of mileage because of the regular CA emissions checks. By the time it was sold and moved to North Carolina, it was 19 years old with 91,500 miles.

The farmer who owned it in NC bought it in 2005; he noted that it had an engine with "almost no miles on it", so assuming that's when the 300 was put in

Farmer put about 45k miles on it between 2005 and 2014; sold locally to owner #3...

Bought it just now, October 2019 as owner #4 with 139k on the clock.

Ok I just did a Carfax on the truck out of curiosity, confirmed some suspicions:

The truck was sold and lived in Palmdale, then Burbank California for the first 19 years of it's life. Get this: that first owner only drove about 5k / year, you can see the pattern of mileage because of the regular CA emissions checks. By the time it was sold and moved to North Carolina, it was 19 years old with 91,500 miles.

The farmer who owned it in NC bought it in 2005; he noted that it had an engine with "almost no miles on it", so assuming that's when the 300 was put in

Farmer put about 45k miles on it between 2005 and 2014; sold locally to owner #3...

Bought it just now, October 2019 as owner #4 with 139k on the clock.

Neat to find out that stuff. Now you'll have a reason to start a build thread. What'cha gonna call the truck?

right side

YES!! Another Flareside!!!

We need to have an annual Flareside Meet on the Easy Coast. Seems like most the Flares on this site are East of me. And I am only in Louisville KY.

Anyway, I love the Flaresides. I cannot wait to see where you take this project.

My blue interior is ALL blue. No gray. That is likely not original kick panels, IMHO.

If you decide to do away with the FI 300, let me know. I have the original carb 300 in mine. Been thinking about my options for it...

I have an 87 Bronco FI 302/C6 sitting in the back yard. If you want to do a 4x4 conversion, we might could work something out.

Could it be a cab swap?

Looks like the original cab...it has the Flareside filler panels in the corners above the steps.

Looks to be the original bed wood too.

You can help us all out with a mystery, in the left side of the bed, up against the headboard (in the bed) take a close-up photo of the bed wall lip and bolts. Notice if the left side corner and the right side corner have different amount of bolts.

Now look underneath by the gas filler tube, do you have the "mysterious piece of square stock" ???

Thanks