Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Did you or they check out the cowl area for bad / cracked sealer?

Dave,

Yes sir, I checked out the cowl area last year when I did the hydraulic clutch brace on the firewall...the install requires that cowl panel to be removed. The seam sealer is all still in pretty decent condition with no sign of any rust or leaks...nothing to speak of at least. The seam sealer was getting bad down low below the door hinges as the rust had worked its way up behind it. Peeled all the old stuff off and got them to sand blast the area and fix it all up.

So far I'm happy with the body work these did. The cab corners look pretty good, and the way the guy has them installed it should look pretty close to factory. I had new filler panels made for the back and even had the edges bent just like the factory ones were, and they're going to rivet them on for me too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can attest to the fact that they do not come apart in a way that makes them reusable. Out of curiosity I tried to remove the washer on a striker bolt that was missing the bushing. The striker bolt came out of the washer, but it was completely stripped out/cross-threaded.

When I was at the junkyard on Saturday and went around and checked a few different 1987-1996 trucks to see if I could grab a couple of the later style striker posts. Does anybody know if they will work as-is on the Bullnose doors? I thought I had read over on FTE that the later style striker post introduced in 1987 replaced the previous 1980-1986 version. Anyway...I noticed...and maybe you guys already know this, but on the later trucks, the striker post can be removed from the plate/bracket. I grabbed a couple from a 1994, and found a 3rd one on a believe a 1995.

IMG_8545.jpg.ba67490af433eff5b642189b0818d3f6.jpg

And the striker bolt can be threaded right out of the plate...

IMG_8547.jpg.77c199ee0c0ddcedb04387a870d0787c.jpg

So I went back over to a 1987 F250 that was there, and while the door striker post looked exactly the same, the post would not thread out, same as the Bullnose ones. Not sure when the change took place...1992 maybe?

Anyway, I just wanted to try them and see if they fit OK, and it will be nice to have the ability to slip new bushings on. If the bracket part doesn't fit, I'll just cut it off and round out the edges to make it look like a washer.

I can attest to the fact that they do not come apart in a way that makes them reusable. Out of curiosity I tried to remove the washer on a striker bolt that was missing the bushing. The striker bolt came out of the washer, but it was completely stripped out/cross-threaded.

When I was at the junkyard on Saturday and went around and checked a few different 1987-1996 trucks to see if I could grab a couple of the later style striker posts. Does anybody know if they will work as-is on the Bullnose doors? I thought I had read over on FTE that the later style striker post introduced in 1987 replaced the previous 1980-1986 version. Anyway...I noticed...and maybe you guys already know this, but on the later trucks, the striker post can be removed from the plate/bracket. I grabbed a couple from a 1994, and found a 3rd one on a believe a 1995.

And the striker bolt can be threaded right out of the plate...

So I went back over to a 1987 F250 that was there, and while the door striker post looked exactly the same, the post would not thread out, same as the Bullnose ones. Not sure when the change took place...1992 maybe?

Anyway, I just wanted to try them and see if they fit OK, and it will be nice to have the ability to slip new bushings on. If the bracket part doesn't fit, I'll just cut it off and round out the edges to make it look like a washer.

I put them on my 86.

After you responded I thought wait was that the Bronco, so went out and took a picture!

Excellent! I'll be doing the same shortly;). Thanks Grumpin.

The guys are down to bare steel on the hood and roof, and the new fenders and doors are on and awaiting alignment. This thing might actually be in the paint booth this week. Fingers crossed!

IMG_8602.jpg.1d5629a1f7a5c5d534b2b7e4a6e64ae5.jpg