Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Gary,

I don't think I'd care to do those vent window seals again...lol. You have to hold your tongue in a special position for those! In any case, I wish I had had more time to refinish them properly. They got a quick sand and a couple quick coats of gloss black engine paint (that's what I had on hand...lol). I did also have some satin black on hand, but figured the engine paint would be more durable. The gloss might be too bright, but I think it will get roughed up and fade in fairly quickly.

The rust on those parts was only one issue. The other was that they were also covered in blue paint from the last bakyard job it got. There's blue paint on EVERYTHING!...or there was, at least!:nabble_smiley_wink:

Looking good.

So was it this weekend or next the truck is going to have paint on it for the show?

Dave ----

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good.

So was it this weekend or next the truck is going to have paint on it for the show?

Dave ----

Well, they were hoping to have the truck finished by the end of this week, but I'm not holding my breath on it at the moment. They told me this morning that they were priming it again today, but I did see my fenders and doors still on the stands in the shop, so maybe they were just priming the door jambs today, I don't know. As much as I want the darn thing back, I also don't want them to rush it either if you know what I mean.

This is a huge shop, and I think my truck is something they work on to fill the time in between other bigger (higher paying) jobs...lol. It is what it is.

There is an all Ford car and truck show this coming weekend on Sunday. If I get the truck back even as late as Saturday I'm going to try and make it, but my hopes are not high at the moment...lol.

Still lots of good weather left though, so I'll have lots of time to drive it yet.

Well, they were hoping to have the truck finished by the end of this week, but I'm not holding my breath on it at the moment. They told me this morning that they were priming it again today, but I did see my fenders and doors still on the stands in the shop, so maybe they were just priming the door jambs today, I don't know. As much as I want the darn thing back, I also don't want them to rush it either if you know what I mean.

This is a huge shop, and I think my truck is something they work on to fill the time in between other bigger (higher paying) jobs...lol. It is what it is.

There is an all Ford car and truck show this coming weekend on Sunday. If I get the truck back even as late as Saturday I'm going to try and make it, but my hopes are not high at the moment...lol.

Still lots of good weather left though, so I'll have lots of time to drive it yet.

As you said no need to rush them and maybe have the paint not come out right or you rush to put it back together and hurt something.

Dave ----

As you said no need to rush them and maybe have the paint not come out right or you rush to put it back together and hurt something.

Dave ----

Well, as of late Thursday afternoon I think I'm pretty safe in assuming the truck won't be ready for the weekend...lol.

IMG_8347.jpg.d8cabdbacff0c46f16ebf2096f51d66b.jpg

The good news is that all the welding is finished. New cab corners are in, RH front lower door post is welded up, and they had to put a couple patches on the lower backside of the cab corners. The new fenders and doors are painted inside and edged.

IMG_8348.jpg.0bada67bb57e83610b72ad5a462e5f5e.jpg

As rusty old Fords go, this old thing is actually not in terrible condition. I was kinda worried about what they were going to find behind the windshield trim, but it was clean as a whistle back there...just dirt and debris build up, but no rust.

IMG_8350.jpg.fdd788ade6713fb46c308ac5857efd32.jpg

Well, as of late Thursday afternoon I think I'm pretty safe in assuming the truck won't be ready for the weekend...lol.

The good news is that all the welding is finished. New cab corners are in, RH front lower door post is welded up, and they had to put a couple patches on the lower backside of the cab corners. The new fenders and doors are painted inside and edged.

As rusty old Fords go, this old thing is actually not in terrible condition. I was kinda worried about what they were going to find behind the windshield trim, but it was clean as a whistle back there...just dirt and debris build up, but no rust.

The truck is going to be great, Cory! :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, it is certainly going to look great. And, it'll win lots of shows, just not the one this weekend. But, it'll be worth waiting for. :nabble_smiley_good:

Disregard the question that was here. Ive been wanting to read your whole project thread and it gives me a good reason to do so :nabble_smiley_happy:

Update: skimmed some and found page 35. The color on the bed looks amazing.

Disregard the question that was here. Ive been wanting to read your whole project thread and it gives me a good reason to do so :nabble_smiley_happy:

I got here too late to answer!

The old Blue Mule is coming along. It should look pretty good when it's all done.

I wasn't 100% sure on the blue when I first saw it on the bed panels, but it has really grown on me. It is what the truck is supposed to look like. That particular color was 1982-1984 only I believe. I had gotten so used to looking at the old faded paint, that is what I had in my mind as "normal"...lol.

As said looking good :nabble_smiley_good:

Did you or they check out the cowl area for bad / cracked sealer?

The weather is to be cooler this weekend so I hope to do a cleaning of my garage, get the truck in primer and if I have enough time get the white on the cab.

Race is on who will have paint done first LOL Oh you have yours half done :nabble_smiley_sad:

Dave ----