Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

As for the piece that goes on the door panel, do not staple them. That is likely to break the door panel. DAHIK. Instead, use small pop rivets.

Regarding these particular pieces...they are the ones in the kit without the metal clips, right?

I have the kit here, and the door cards here, but not the truck or doors. There are two with clips on them...I assume these are the ones that go on the doors? And the ones without clips are the ones I need to pop rivet to the door cards/panels?

Yes. The ones with clips go on the door itself, and the ones without go on the door card/panel.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The ones with clips go on the door itself, and the ones without go on the door card/panel.

I did have to adjust the striker to get my doors to close properly. Right now the lines look good, and I only have to put a little more force into closing the door. But when I go to open it, it "pops" open, which tells me they're still not where they need to be. I've opened and closed the door at least forty times to try and seat them, but I guess I'll have to just keep closing them until they finally relax.

As for the piece that goes on the door panel, do not staple them. That is likely to break the door panel. DAHIK. Instead, use small pop rivets.

Gary, the pop rivets worked great. My first rivet pulled hard into the plastic so after that I made some little "washers" out of sheet metal to capture the ends a little better. The rivets I have on hand are stainless and are maybe a little harder than a regular rivet.

IMG_8325.jpg.edec0c5aad51bd3f6c923783ad4212fb.jpg

IMG_8323.jpg.3c2a535bcbc37610591e260035a96093.jpg

I'm gettin' pretty stoked now. Truck is supposed to be finished at the body shop this week, and if all goes well I'll have it back on Thursday or Friday. There was an all-Ford car/truck show this weekend that I was missing obviously, but it ended up getting postponed until next Sunday. If I get the truck back by Friday or even on Saturday morning I'll pull some long hours to get it all reassembled and shined up for the show. Fingers crossed.

Gary, the pop rivets worked great. My first rivet pulled hard into the plastic so after that I made some little "washers" out of sheet metal to capture the ends a little better. The rivets I have on hand are stainless and are maybe a little harder than a regular rivet.

I'm gettin' pretty stoked now. Truck is supposed to be finished at the body shop this week, and if all goes well I'll have it back on Thursday or Friday. There was an all-Ford car/truck show this weekend that I was missing obviously, but it ended up getting postponed until next Sunday. If I get the truck back by Friday or even on Saturday morning I'll pull some long hours to get it all reassembled and shined up for the show. Fingers crossed.

They look great, Cory. And, I should have told you to use washers. But your sheetmetal pieces are even better. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, I hope you make the show next weekend. :nabble_smiley_super:

They look great, Cory. And, I should have told you to use washers. But your sheetmetal pieces are even better. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, I hope you make the show next weekend. :nabble_smiley_super:

I used the rivet washers because I figured the rivets would be able to pull through the aged plastic. I like the idea of the large square washers though because they have more surface area.

I used the rivet washers because I figured the rivets would be able to pull through the aged plastic. I like the idea of the large square washers though because they have more surface area.

I used small screws and nuts because I was worried about the plastic. And easier to get out.

I used small screws and nuts because I was worried about the plastic. And easier to get out.

That's a good idea too. I thought about the removal issue while I was installing these, but I don't think they are all that bad. I had to drill a couple out the other day on something else.

That's a good idea too. I thought about the removal issue while I was installing these, but I don't think they are all that bad. I had to drill a couple out the other day on something else.

Got my vent window seals installed tonight, and sanded and painted the vent window frames and window channels. The Fairchild seals seem to fit pretty well. I had to cut and trim a couple little spots, but think that's to be expected with a molded rubber part. Vent windows seem to close nice and tight now, and all the sloppy blue paint and rust is gone! Now to drop them back off at the body shop in the morning. They were supposed to be painting the door jambs yesterday and hanging the doors (if all went well).

IMG_8336.jpg.841d739812a0734740509f0c4f4b73b5.jpg

IMG_8337.jpg.96e1e818b50138e8d898365eb162327a.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg.8234200c1bdc7d2ad723f19439f93b97.jpg

IMG_8340.jpg.ca9a66bd9ec35552340e8bc834de18e7.jpg

Got my vent window seals installed tonight, and sanded and painted the vent window frames and window channels. The Fairchild seals seem to fit pretty well. I had to cut and trim a couple little spots, but think that's to be expected with a molded rubber part. Vent windows seem to close nice and tight now, and all the sloppy blue paint and rust is gone! Now to drop them back off at the body shop in the morning. They were supposed to be painting the door jambs yesterday and hanging the doors (if all went well).

You are really making excellent progress, Cory! I'm jealous! I take two steps forward and one back. You just keep on going forward. :nabble_smiley_good:

You are really making excellent progress, Cory! I'm jealous! I take two steps forward and one back. You just keep on going forward. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

I don't think I'd care to do those vent window seals again...lol. You have to hold your tongue in a special position for those! In any case, I wish I had had more time to refinish them properly. They got a quick sand and a couple quick coats of gloss black engine paint (that's what I had on hand...lol). I did also have some satin black on hand, but figured the engine paint would be more durable. The gloss might be too bright, but I think it will get roughed up and fade in fairly quickly.

The rust on those parts was only one issue. The other was that they were also covered in blue paint from the last bakyard job it got. There's blue paint on EVERYTHING!...or there was, at least!:nabble_smiley_wink: