Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I can tell you how much fun it is to touch up every fastener after installing them. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

I'm powder coating everything on Dad's truck, and the sockets/wrenches mess things up, as does the simple act of tightening. Very tedious.

Looks good! Great job!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, after sanding and varnishing all week, I have the wood floor all bolted down and locked in place. It looks alright for a plywood floor imho. I understand that it is not for everybody, but that is the beauty of these old Flaresides...we can finish the floors to our own tastes. I put three coats of Spar Varnish on each side, and somewhere between 5-6 coats on the edges and on the 10 wooden mounting blocks. All I need now is the 8 mounting bolts which are sitting in Maine waiting for me to pick them up next week.

Next up will be fitting and installing the tailgate and chains, rear bumper, and then back on to filling and bleeding brakes, etc. I'll soon be ready to turn the key in the old Mule. The way my schedule is going, I'll have it ready for the road right around the time I have to put it away for the winter...lol. Oh well. Patience is a virtue.

And, since it has been a while...I have to show some before pics of the bed...

Wow, Cory, well done!!! I really like it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But at the rate you are going you'll have it on the road very soon. However, there is no reason to rush. The fun is in the journey, not the destination.

Wow, Cory, well done!!! I really like it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But at the rate you are going you'll have it on the road very soon. However, there is no reason to rush. The fun is in the journey, not the destination.

I would be proud to have it in my truck looks great :nabble_smiley_good:

I think you said you were reusing the fenders from the truck if so or not you having them painted before they bolt up?

Dave ----

I would be proud to have it in my truck looks great :nabble_smiley_good:

I think you said you were reusing the fenders from the truck if so or not you having them painted before they bolt up?

Dave ----

Dave,

The shop that is doing the paint work for me wanted to paint them separately, so they currently have the original fenders and the steps. Everything else is here with me. I'm going to finish assembling the box at home and then take it back off the frame so that they can paint the cab.

Dave,

The shop that is doing the paint work for me wanted to paint them separately, so they currently have the original fenders and the steps. Everything else is here with me. I'm going to finish assembling the box at home and then take it back off the frame so that they can paint the cab.

I have to get paint for the under side of the hood and going to get enough to paint the bed.

May even get the white as I want to put the white down before the red on the rear fenders & cab.

This way I can get color on the beds side when apart like you did then put it together like you did then do the fenders and bolt them on so I can do the cab.

So close yet so far away right?

Dave ----

Dave,

Cory, did you ever get the paint system and color code information from your paint shop?

Ray,

I don't have it yet, no. Sorry. I hope to have it soon as I need to get some touch up paint and I'll need the code.

Got the tailgate test fitted this morning and it fits like a glove! I'm so stoked about this! With fabricated stake pockets and having to make all new mounting points for the hinges, chains and latches, etc I was a little worried it might not line up 100%. I had to spend some time massaging the mounting faces of the hinges to get them to work right. Not only does it line up properly, it's better than it was before. Both latches are nice and even with the tail gate and they both snap into place and up against the rubber bumpers like they're supposed to, nice and tight.:nabble_smiley_good:

IMG_7968.jpg.e0d610ebabcbf2fe66d23bceea774ce2.jpg

IMG_7967.jpg.2de5cddd44b0d79430c47a5f1f90217f.jpg

IMG_7965.jpg.a1c0b76abc22da360806902d92433e1d.jpg

You can see how they're nice and even with the top line of the tailgate below:

IMG_7969.jpg.2c93f8e274158deb5fba6e6211462ef1.jpg

Now, I have to pull it all apart again and prime and paint the hinges again.

Got the tailgate test fitted this morning and it fits like a glove! I'm so stoked about this! With fabricated stake pockets and having to make all new mounting points for the hinges, chains and latches, etc I was a little worried it might not line up 100%. I had to spend some time massaging the mounting faces of the hinges to get them to work right. Not only does it line up properly, it's better than it was before. Both latches are nice and even with the tail gate and they both snap into place and up against the rubber bumpers like they're supposed to, nice and tight.:nabble_smiley_good:

You can see how they're nice and even with the top line of the tailgate below:

Now, I have to pull it all apart again and prime and paint the hinges again.

Your latches do fit nice and the first thing I saw.

Mine don't fit too good but I also don't have the little rubber bumpers on the handles or the strips in the channels of the gate that press to the end of the bed.

BTW where did you get the rubber bumpers for the handles & the channels?

Think I seen the handle ones on LMC but don't think the channel ones.

Dave ----

BTW where did you get the rubber bumpers for the handles & the channels?

Think I seen the handle ones on LMC but don't think the channel ones.

Dave ----

Bought both from LMC Dave, but the channel rubbers are not the same as the originals, so I chucked 'em in the spare parts bin. My originals channel rubber bumpers are still fine actually, but I was ordering a bunch of stuff and figured I'd order new ones. Too bad they weren't the same.

The rubber bumpers for the handles are from LMC and they worked great. I had cut the old ones off before having the chains and handles sand blasted.

Bit of hit and miss with LMC unfortunately. Most stuff seems to fit OK, but once in a while you get some dud parts.