Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Cory Its a bit off topic but are you replacing your gas tank? If so do these Flair side's have the 16 Gallon or the 19 Gallon tanks in them up front as I would like to order one for my truck. Looking for info for a kit or a supplier that may sell the parts.

Hey Oz,

Not off topic at all. I just installed all of these parts brand new last weekend myself. This week I've been working on the filler tube, neck, door, etc.

The short wheel base trucks use the 16 gallon side tanks. (I believe the one I bought was listed as being a 16.5 gallon unit). I bought a Spectra brand tank, sending unit, and strap kit.

Spectra F14A tank, approx $85 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17167&cc=1121443&jsn=476&jsn=476

Spectra FG75A sending unit, approx $50 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=872454&cc=1121443&jsn=484

Spectra ST05 strap kit, approx $15 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17706&cc=1121443&jsn=491

I had the rubber isolator pads cut at a local shop. They used 3/32" rubber.

2 pieces 16" x 2 1/4" for the straps

2 pieces 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" for the frame crossmembers.

The new tank does not come with a vent valve. I re-used my original and ordered a new seal from LMC.

LMC part number 40-1241 ($4.95)

Hope that helps. If you need any further info, just shout.:nabble_anim_handshake:

Good info, guys. But Darin also asked if a 19 gallon tank can be used on a Flareside. Does anyone know?

EDIT: I'm a whole page behind. The question has been answered and more besides. :nabble_smiley_blush:

The sending unit with the return line will be the one for 1986 trucks with the EFI 302/5.0L engine. If the fuel pump is enough for the FiTech, then do that. If not then just run a piece of fuel line to the bottom of the tank and put an in-line pump.

If you convert to FiTech, do NOT buy the dual plane intake manifold. It won’t work. It has to be the regular one. You probably know this, but it would be an expensive mistake if you didn’t, so better safe than sorry.

Why no dual plane intake with a fitech? I have exactly that on a 302 and it performs excellent.

Why no dual plane intake with a fitech? I have exactly that on a 302 and it performs excellent.

Sorry, that was one of my most half-baked information-lacking comments ever... :nabble_smiley_blush:

I was going off the recollection that oz’s F100 has the straight six, not a V8. I was also jumping to conclusions that he would be looking at the two models of Offenhauser intakes. The Offy dual plane intake isn’t a true dual plane design for primaries and secondaries like it is in a V8. I don’t know exactly how they work, but I believe it is in the manufacturer’s specifications that they warn against using the straight six Offy DP for throttle body injection conversions, and recommend the single port Offy C intake for that. I should dig up some links, but off the top of my head that is what I remember. Perhaps just enough to put my foot in my mouth again... 🤦‍♂️

Sorry, that was one of my most half-baked information-lacking comments ever... :nabble_smiley_blush:

I was going off the recollection that oz’s F100 has the straight six, not a V8. I was also jumping to conclusions that he would be looking at the two models of Offenhauser intakes. The Offy dual plane intake isn’t a true dual plane design for primaries and secondaries like it is in a V8. I don’t know exactly how they work, but I believe it is in the manufacturer’s specifications that they warn against using the straight six Offy DP for throttle body injection conversions, and recommend the single port Offy C intake for that. I should dig up some links, but off the top of my head that is what I remember. Perhaps just enough to put my foot in my mouth again... 🤦‍♂️

😀👍

😀👍

Guys I don't want to high jack Cory's build page so this will short and sweet. The 300 6 is coming out and a 351 stroker is going into the truck. I just wanted to know a good brand of Gas tank and fittings that Cory had used in his build so I could get these parts shipped over for the new engine (clean gas system for the truck). Cheers Darin

Good info, guys. But Darin also asked if a 19 gallon tank can be used on a Flareside. Does anyone know?

EDIT: I'm a whole page behind. The question has been answered and more besides. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I am just getting to this now but went thru all the post before I answered it but the answer is it will not fit I tried to fit the 19 gal from the parts truck to my short bed flare side.

Because of the flare side small 16 gal tank is why I installed the parts truck 19 gal rear tank in my flare side :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----