Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm OK for now. I'm going to repair the one I have, I think.

Little late to the party, no band aids here :nabble_anim_blbl:

Anyway I believe Cory is right the screw parts are different also.

Wish my site was up as I think I had pictures of all this.

If you need pictures of the 2 together my doors are off the truck and I would need to find the 2 style side ones but I can do that if you want.

IIRC because the door hinge part has different spacing for the screws so dose the black plastic "bowl" the filler neck screws to.

I also don't know if the bowl, neck & hose is the same between the 2 beds for the side mount tanks as I did not a complete one and I got all the parts mixed up trying to get 2 filler assy. to work on my truck.

Dave ----

Little late to the party, no band aids here :nabble_anim_blbl:

Anyway I believe Cory is right the screw parts are different also.

Wish my site was up as I think I had pictures of all this.

If you need pictures of the 2 together my doors are off the truck and I would need to find the 2 style side ones but I can do that if you want.

IIRC because the door hinge part has different spacing for the screws so dose the black plastic "bowl" the filler neck screws to.

I also don't know if the bowl, neck & hose is the same between the 2 beds for the side mount tanks as I did not a complete one and I got all the parts mixed up trying to get 2 filler assy. to work on my truck.

Dave ----

Sure wish I had known this when I bought my flareside bed. I didn’t get the fuel door thinking I didn’t want to pay for it when I had extras at home... (but style side extras...) 🤦‍♂️. I do have a cut out from a bricknose drw fender with the fuel door... so I may be okay if I fill in the front fuel door opening. Dave, if you run across the pics can you show the differences side by side?

Sure wish I had known this when I bought my flareside bed. I didn’t get the fuel door thinking I didn’t want to pay for it when I had extras at home... (but style side extras...) 🤦‍♂️. I do have a cut out from a bricknose drw fender with the fuel door... so I may be okay if I fill in the front fuel door opening. Dave, if you run across the pics can you show the differences side by side?

The ones I posted in the past I cant get to as I am having issues with my site, domain may need to be renewed?

I found them on my PC.

Going to bed soon, up at 1am, so will get pictures tomorrow when I get home from work and post them up if you need betterones.

20180429_115916.jpg.8ef08cd1d933b25391465ba85d2b263d.jpg

20180429_115955.jpg.688c9052328caf33d47733a6b3387417.jpg

20180429_120013.jpg.f59aa8c5f3973457b87b5556fb20912a.jpg

20180429_184322.jpg.991cbe1b797f3ab2249f71c00dc87a9a.jpg

Dave ----

ps the silver door is the style side, brown door the flare side.

The ones I posted in the past I cant get to as I am having issues with my site, domain may need to be renewed?

I found them on my PC.

Going to bed soon, up at 1am, so will get pictures tomorrow when I get home from work and post them up if you need betterones.

Dave ----

Awesome. Thank you! Those are helpful 😎👍

I found them on my PC.

Dave ----

Hi Cory Its a bit off topic but are you replacing your gas tank? If so do these Flair side's have the 16 Gallon or the 19 Gallon tanks in them up front as I would like to order one for my truck. Looking for info for a kit or a supplier that may sell the parts.

Hi Cory Its a bit off topic but are you replacing your gas tank? If so do these Flair side's have the 16 Gallon or the 19 Gallon tanks in them up front as I would like to order one for my truck. Looking for info for a kit or a supplier that may sell the parts.

All of the 117” wheelbase trucks got the 16 gallon mid ship tank. No flareside came with a rear tank. Replacement tanks from Spectra can be bought through NPD, LMC, Summitt, Bronco graveyard, Autozone etc., but even within the USA oversized shipping charges may apply so shop carefully and get a shipping quote before buying.

All of the 117” wheelbase trucks got the 16 gallon mid ship tank. No flareside came with a rear tank. Replacement tanks from Spectra can be bought through NPD, LMC, Summitt, Bronco graveyard, Autozone etc., but even within the USA oversized shipping charges may apply so shop carefully and get a shipping quote before buying.

LMC has a 16 and a 19 Gallon tank for sale. Can the 19 gallon tank fit in the Flair sides? Does it use different brackets to the 16 gallon tank.

Hey Oz,

Not off topic at all. I just installed all of these parts brand new last weekend myself. This week I've been working on the filler tube, neck, door, etc.

The short wheel base trucks use the 16 gallon side tanks. (I believe the one I bought was listed as being a 16.5 gallon unit). I bought a Spectra brand tank, sending unit, and strap kit.

Spectra F14A tank, approx $85 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17167&cc=1121443&jsn=476&jsn=476

Spectra FG75A sending unit, approx $50 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=872454&cc=1121443&jsn=484

Spectra ST05 strap kit, approx $15 USD.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=17706&cc=1121443&jsn=491

I had the rubber isolator pads cut at a local shop. They used 3/32" rubber.

2 pieces 16" x 2 1/4" for the straps

2 pieces 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" for the frame crossmembers.

The new tank does not come with a vent valve. I re-used my original and ordered a new seal from LMC.

LMC part number 40-1241 ($4.95)

Hope that helps. If you need any further info, just shout.:nabble_anim_handshake: