Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

It amazes me how few of the Bullnose trucks have sway bars when they are now pretty well standard on new cars.

Yeah, ain't that the truth! I just wish the install of the front bar was as easy a job as the rear was (without the bed on the truck...lol). I'll have to remove the coils, which isn't the end of the world, but it's still a pain.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me how few of the Bullnose trucks have sway bars when they are now pretty well standard on new cars.

Yeah, ain't that the truth! I just wish the install of the front bar was as easy a job as the rear was (without the bed on the truck...lol). I'll have to remove the coils, which isn't the end of the world, but it's still a pain.

I certainly understand that move, having just removed the coils to put the sway bar bracket on. :nabble_smiley_what:

But, in my case it wasn't that bad since the truck was still on the lift and I can reach down through the coil with a large extension to take the nut off.

I certainly understand that move, having just removed the coils to put the sway bar bracket on. :nabble_smiley_what:

But, in my case it wasn't that bad since the truck was still on the lift and I can reach down through the coil with a large extension to take the nut off.

Does look good.

I hear you on that front sway bar and think why I have not really looked into them ..... yet.

I need to get the truck on the road first.

Dave ----

Made some OK progress on the old Blue Mule this weekend. Finally got the new fuel tank and new straps installed, new fuel line, and re-installed the frame wiring harness from the transmission to the tail end of the frame. Next thing to do was to tackle this filthy mess...

IMG_7096.jpg.9ee239c1fe2afb6ee4b57213179253dd.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg.3a16b5ba8d4e40f79b0c19295d96e6f3.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg.aeedb411f1e7e3f4e08ee61547ba256b.jpg

Have some rust issues here. The filler neck was in pretty decent shape, but it was rusty enough around the flange that created a good size hole once I started digging at it. Anyway, I sand blasted the rust off as good as I could, welded a patch on, then threw a little rust treatment on it and then painted the flange and about 1/2" in both directions with black rust paint.

However, the outer ring and the hardware inside the plastic housing are all too rusted out to re-use. Have to make some new pieces here, and get a new filler door as well. Oh well....rusty old trucks...I'd be bored otherwise.

Made some OK progress on the old Blue Mule this weekend. Finally got the new fuel tank and new straps installed, new fuel line, and re-installed the frame wiring harness from the transmission to the tail end of the frame. Next thing to do was to tackle this filthy mess...

Have some rust issues here. The filler neck was in pretty decent shape, but it was rusty enough around the flange that created a good size hole once I started digging at it. Anyway, I sand blasted the rust off as good as I could, welded a patch on, then threw a little rust treatment on it and then painted the flange and about 1/2" in both directions with black rust paint.

However, the outer ring and the hardware inside the plastic housing are all too rusted out to re-use. Have to make some new pieces here, and get a new filler door as well. Oh well....rusty old trucks...I'd be bored otherwise.

More onion rings! It's about time for a Bloomin' Onion, isn't it?

YES! And, I ran the angle grinder across two fingers on my left hand. Turns out rubber gloves don't offer much protection. And yes, I know better! Fingerprints grow back, right?...lol.

Soon time to start working on the bed. The good news with it is that the whole thing will be all brand new parts with the exception of the fiberglass fenders and the tailgate, which is the nicest condition part on the whole truck...lol.

I still haven't quite figured out what steps to take when assembling the flareside bed. Paint all of the panels first, and then assemble? Or just paint the critical spots first? I want to paint the areas that will be covered either by wood or by other panels. If I paint all of the panels first, then what do I do about the bolts and stuff...paint over it again I suppose.

Oh well, I'll worry about it when I get there...

YES! And, I ran the angle grinder across two fingers on my left hand. Turns out rubber gloves don't offer much protection. And yes, I know better! Fingerprints grow back, right?...lol.

Soon time to start working on the bed. The good news with it is that the whole thing will be all brand new parts with the exception of the fiberglass fenders and the tailgate, which is the nicest condition part on the whole truck...lol.

I still haven't quite figured out what steps to take when assembling the flareside bed. Paint all of the panels first, and then assemble? Or just paint the critical spots first? I want to paint the areas that will be covered either by wood or by other panels. If I paint all of the panels first, then what do I do about the bolts and stuff...paint over it again I suppose.

Oh well, I'll worry about it when I get there...

I'm laughing to keep from crying. I'm sporting two bandaids - to cover the lack of skin on two knuckles. When the angle grinder hit the first knuckle I thought I ought to get gloves. But, I didn't get them until I hit the second knuckle. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Anyway, you are really making good progress. I love the reports. But, don't have any suggestions on the bed side.

Cory, note the filler door is a flare side only part.

I do know the style side doors are different, don't remember for sure on the size but I know 1 is curved and the other flat.

I cant remember if a duel wheel one is the same as ours? Maybe Gary has this listed as we talked about this when I was working on mine.

Dave ----

I do know the style side doors are different, don't remember for sure on the size but I know 1 is curved and the other flat.

I cant remember if a duel wheel one is the same as ours? Maybe Gary has this listed as we talked about this when I was working on mine.

Dave ----

Exterior/Beds, Tailgates, & Components and then the Fuel Filler Door tab says Stylesides used one door and Flare and DRW's used another. At least that's the way I read it.

Yeah,

I remember that the doors were different. I will have a look at mine again this morning. It is in a box at work and I haven't looked at it in 6 months I'm sure. The door itself is OK, it's the mounting hardware that goes inside the plastic housing that is rusty.

Oddly enough, LMC actually has new Flareside doors...and no Styleside doors. NOS items perhaps?...If they were aftermarket, why wouldn't you have them for Stylesides? Anyway, they're $137 USD each...which will cost me in the area of $250 CDN by the time it would arrive here...and I'm really not wanting to spend that much on a stupid fuel door assembly.