Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I think I'll just go with a steel fuel line the same as it was from the factory. It lasted for 35 years, it will last another 35. I'd like to get the bend up front a little tighter to the frame to keep it further away from the exhaust, so we'll see how it goes.

New booster and master cyl will be in tomorrow, so if all goes well, I'll be running some brake lines this weekend.

Popped the old booster off this evening so I can bring it in with me and avoid the core charge (and the non-refundable tax that goes with it...another pet peeve of mine...lol).

Ordered four new cab mounts and a few other odds and ends from LMC. I drilled the head of the LR cab mount last night, and it looks like it's coming out with the recip saw. I assume all four of them will be like that. The core support mounts were hateful to remove as well.

Plugged in my new fuel tank sending unit to check the fuel gauge operation, and it's working exactly like it's supposed to. Good news there.

I think Ford's core supports and cab mounts were designed by someone named Lucas. Probably Joe's brother Larry, Prince of Rust. They are of a design that truly "holds water". :nabble_smiley_sad:

Glad the new sending unit worked so well. Another layer of onion peeled. :nabble_smiley_good:

So, you might have brakes this weekend?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ford's core supports and cab mounts were designed by someone named Lucas. Probably Joe's brother Larry, Prince of Rust. They are of a design that truly "holds water". :nabble_smiley_sad:

Glad the new sending unit worked so well. Another layer of onion peeled. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ha! Well, that is exactly what was so frustrating about those core support mounts. The way they thread together, they're impossible to do anything with once seized from the rust. I spent way too much time removing them, only to find out the steel mounts on the frame were bad and I ended up replacing them anyway. If only I knew then what I know now...

I'll have brakes this weekend...in boxes...lol. I'll start installing stuff...no idea how far I'll get, but my optimism is high.:nabble_smiley_wink:

Ha! Well, that is exactly what was so frustrating about those core support mounts. The way they thread together, they're impossible to do anything with once seized from the rust. I spent way too much time removing them, only to find out the steel mounts on the frame were bad and I ended up replacing them anyway. If only I knew then what I know now...

I'll have brakes this weekend...in boxes...lol. I'll start installing stuff...no idea how far I'll get, but my optimism is high.:nabble_smiley_wink:

Brakes - in boxes. That's a good one!

Did you ever see the movie Bedazzled? I think whomever designed those mounts is closely associated with that guy. And, they are laughing their heads off as we try to figure out how to get things apart w/o damaging everything. :nabble_smiley_sleep:

...you tell me it's no good, poor quality, and unreliable...lol.
Don't take it personally! :nabble_smiley_wink: I just think Ford's reasons for changing to the newer stuff were mostly good, so I always think of using newer parts/materials first.
Does it just slide over the barbs on the fuel pump and sending unit, same as rubber hose would?
Even easier - it doesn't need clamps. Ford didn't even use a clamp where that tubing was subject to 100psi gasoline on top of the engine, and I've never seen or heard of it leaking. I don't use heat, either; just a drop of clean motor oil.
Will it be OK running within a few inches of the exhaust headers?
Probably not, but I wouldn't run steel line that close, either. Even if it doesn't hurt the tubing, it would likely boil/vapor-lock the gas inside. But it's easy to route the nylon over the frame - it doesn't take a bender to wind it around some curves to move it away from the heat. If there's really no other routing for it, a small heat shield will do wonders for keeping the temperature down.
...a design that truly "holds water".
A small groove in the bottom of each lower body mount (or the top of the lower mount's washer) will allow water to drain. Filling the top "funnel" with anti-seize lube will reduce how much water can get in, and pre-treat the bolt for future removal. A huge flat washer on top will block most of the water from ever getting in.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/970533/thumbnail/drainwasher.jpg

The way they thread together, they're impossible to do anything with once seized from the rust.
Read this & the NEXT several captions:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/919953/thumbnail/bodymtl1a.jpg

Don't take it personally! :nabble_smiley_wink: I just think Ford's reasons for changing to the newer stuff were mostly good, so I always think of using newer parts/materials first.

Haha...don't worry, I don't take it personally, I just think it's funny.

Interesting captions. Thanks for sharing. I did as you mentioned with the mounts and added some antiseize and grease, etc. The truck is now stored inside and only driven in the summer, so future rust will not be much of an issue, if any at all. Nobody is daily driving this stuff here, and certainly not in the salty winter.

Interesting on using the bottle jack to move the cab over. I need to move mine a little bit, and was wondering how I was going to do it. That answers that. I believe my cab is cocked a bit on the frame which is causing some body alignment issues with the core support.

...you tell me it's no good, poor quality, and unreliable...lol.
Does it just slide over the barbs on the fuel pump and sending unit, same as rubber hose would?
Even easier - it doesn't need clamps. Ford didn't even use a clamp where that tubing was subject to 100psi gasoline on top of the engine, and I've never seen or heard of it leaking. I don't use heat, either; just a drop of clean motor oil.
Will it be OK running within a few inches of the exhaust headers?
Probably not, but I wouldn't run steel line that close, either. Even if it doesn't hurt the tubing, it would likely boil/vapor-lock the gas inside. But it's easy to route the nylon over the frame - it doesn't take a bender to wind it around some curves to move it away from the heat. If there's really no other routing for it, a small heat shield will do wonders for keeping the temperature down.
...a design that truly "holds water".
A small groove in the bottom of each lower body mount (or the top of the lower mount's washer) will allow water to drain. Filling the top "funnel" with anti-seize lube will reduce how much water can get in, and pre-treat the bolt for future removal. A huge flat washer on top will block most of the water from ever getting in.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/970533/thumbnail/drainwasher.jpg

The way they thread together, they're impossible to do anything with once seized from the rust.

Good how-to Steve. I don't have one of those Vise-Grips, but next time I'll get a pair. Good excuse. :nabble_smiley_good:

And next time will be when I tear Big Blue down for the engine/tranny/fuel system work as the core support has to be replaced.

This is the '82 body tub/firewall with '84-91 clutch MC & '87-96 brake booster/MC.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/537837/thumbnail/boostermc.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/144063/thumbnail/engine-bay.jpg

Or connect it to the fluid level switch.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1101054/thumbnail/brakewarn92.jpg

Steve,

Couple questions:

I dropped by the Junkyard to grab a plug and wires for the master cylinder low fluid level switch. That was no problem. Done, chop chop.

I noticed though that the rear port on the master has a fitting between the master and the line. Is this just an adapter to go from the larger port size to the smaller port? Do I need this piece? I see it is also on the master in your picture linked above.

Second question...

The truck I took the connector from was a 1992-1996 2wd F150. I noticed that the rear brake line went to a module of some kind inside the front left frame rail. I had been wondering where the master cylinder line connected to the rear brake line on these trucks, but now I see there IS something there. Is this some kind of proportioning valve also?? It might be a bit hard to see, but you can see the rear brake line going into it, and then the line that goes to the back of the truck comes out the front of it.

IMG_6426.jpg.951467a495db6907db354482e7943fdc.jpg

...the rear port on the master has a fitting between the master and the line. Is this just an adapter to go from the larger port size to the smaller port? Do I need this piece? I see it is also on the master in your picture linked above.
From my first reply on the previous page of this thread:
The '87-up (Aluminum) master cylinder & integral residual-pressure valve...

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895333/thumbnail/mastercyl9496.jpg

If you're using the later brake lines (no proportioning valve), connect the rear one to the RPV. If you're using the old lines & prop.vlv., open the RPV, remove all its guts (so that it just becomes an adapter), and then adapt the old rear line to fit the RPV housing (as my earlier pic shows).
...a module of some kind inside the front left frame rail.
That's the '93-only SCCDS location, shown at the bottom L of this diagram, and the last thing mentioned in the caption:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/911881/thumbnail/cruise93.jpg

That's why I said:

If you get a '94-96 cruise MC (with the black SCCDS in the port at the front)...
Under NO circumstances should you use the original red SCCDS on any vehicle at any location. If you want to use the '93-04 electronic cruise servo (which is superior to the vacuum cruise system), always swap to the recall black SCCDS (either by using the recall adapter harness, or by splicing the connector onto the truck's original wiring) either in the '94-96 MC's front port, or in the '93 frame block in your pic.

But if you're NOT using the electronic cruise servo (either for no cruise, or the older vacuum cruise), the SCCDS isn't needed.

From my first reply on the previous page of this thread:

The '87-up (Aluminum) master cylinder & integral residual-pressure valve...

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895333/thumbnail/mastercyl9496.jpg

That's the '93-only SCCDS location, shown at the bottom L of this diagram, and the last thing mentioned in the caption:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/911881/thumbnail/cruise93.jpg

That's why I said:

If you get a '94-96 cruise MC (with the black SCCDS in the port at the front)...
Under NO circumstances should you use the original red SCCDS on any vehicle at any location.

OK OK...that explains the confusion with the "integral RPV" in the master cylinder. You were referring to the RPV being integral to the master cylinder as it is installed or if I was to get one from a Junkyard. All along I've been referring to a NEW master cylinder, and they do not come with the RPV. I was taking "integral" to mean that the RPV was included with a new MC, and it's not. Duh. OK, fine, I need to add the later screw-in RPV to the list of parts I need for this swap.

I'll grab one from the junkyard and clean it up. Thanks Steve.

Now...the last part...

This particular truck had a frame mounted SCCDS. However, the MC had that dreaded red switch in the front. Maybe it was a later MC swapped in?>..

IMG_6424.jpg.fc2b35e0548a752d6f6af3b72ee675fa.jpg

The reason I'm asking all these questions is because I DO NOT want to do this twice. I want to install the system, and forget about it.

Thanks for your help Steve, it is appreciated.

I was taking "integral" to mean that the RPV was included with a new MC...
Actually, my intended meaning was "it don't work without it". You can't even connect a rear line without at least the RPV's housing.
...it's not.
Where are you shopping? I've only bought 1 or 2 MCs for these trucks from parts stores (they rarely go bad, so I normally buy at the JY), but I specifically remember the RPV was attached. Maybe mine were reman, but I'd be amazed if you're actually finding them "new" w/o RPV.
This particular truck had a frame mounted SCCDS. However, the MC had that dreaded red switch in the front. Maybe it was a later MC swapped in?
Must be - Ford didn't put 2 of them on. Was the wiring connected to (or long enough to reach) the frame SCCDS?