Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Well thanks for the heads up on this inexpensive mod Steve. I grabbed this IRS 8.8 cover at the pick N pull this morning. $9 bucks out the door, taxes included. Took me about 30 mins all total to drop the diff out of the cradle and get the cover off. It was -11C outside, and even colder with the windchill, so I didn't waste any time. Between the cold and a bum shoulder, it wasn't much fun. (If Ray is reading out in Saskatchewan, he probably thinks that -11C is t-shirt weather...lol).

Anyway, needs some cleaning, and of course I have to cut the "ears" off it. It will look good when it's all done, increases my fluid capacity a little bit, and gives me magnetic tipped fill and drain plugs.

When it's all chopped up and cleaned, it will look like this cover below...

Not a nice Trickflow or Ford Racing aluminum cover, but for under $10 bucks and a little bit of elbow grease, it will look good from a distance, and I needed a new cover anyway;).

:nabble_smiley_evil:

That is very neat!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thanks for the heads up on this inexpensive mod Steve. I grabbed this IRS 8.8 cover at the pick N pull this morning. $9 bucks out the door, taxes included. Took me about 30 mins all total to drop the diff out of the cradle and get the cover off. It was -11C outside, and even colder with the windchill, so I didn't waste any time. Between the cold and a bum shoulder, it wasn't much fun. (If Ray is reading out in Saskatchewan, he probably thinks that -11C is t-shirt weather...lol).

Anyway, needs some cleaning, and of course I have to cut the "ears" off it. It will look good when it's all done, increases my fluid capacity a little bit, and gives me magnetic tipped fill and drain plugs.

When it's all chopped up and cleaned, it will look like this cover below...

Not a nice Trickflow or Ford Racing aluminum cover, but for under $10 bucks and a little bit of elbow grease, it will look good from a distance, and I needed a new cover anyway;).

:nabble_smiley_evil:

Wow! I would have never thought that you could clean that cover's looks up that much. But with a bit of Dremel work to round the ridges the way they look in the center of the cover and no one will know. :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow! I would have never thought that you could clean that cover's looks up that much. But with a bit of Dremel work to round the ridges the way they look in the center of the cover and no one will know. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

That was a new cover that somebody bought and modified. Mine will clean up pretty nice, but not THAT nice.

I never cut mine - it still has the IRS mounting bosses.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1117497/thumbnail/170628_cover.jpg

Here we go, genuine Junkyard part installed on the old Blue Mule!

Before:

IMG_6365.jpg.fa5b079d16ab2519be32f1332faf4622.jpg

Installed this afternoon:

IMG_6373.jpg.b282dc15b5301c519ed4332b46d8239e.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg.eb64e22656878eacda7e824e719e64a9.jpg

Cost was $7.85 + 15% tax = $9.00 out the door.

I probably put way too much time into it, but whatever, I did need a new cover anyway, so why not.:nabble_smiley_good: