Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Cory - I'll put you on my prayer list.

Thanks Gary. I'm already on the road to recovery. Between your prayers, the Cortisone shot and the excellent Physio this week, I'm already feeling better! I don't go back now until next Friday, but I'll keep up the physio at home for the next week;).

Had the old Bull shipped to my home garage last night. Tow truck driver was a really nice young fella and was very mindful of the new paint on the frame. He joked with my wife and said that he felt bad that she'd be spending Christmas all alone...lol (because I'd be in the garage) which is only partially true...lol.

Not even sure what to start next, but I think I'll get that Flareside bed disassembled over the next week or so, and pop the cover off that 8.8 and see what's inside;). TGIF people.

IMG_6257.jpg.627056e2b3e1a179079303a8202056d9.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gary. I'm already on the road to recovery. Between your prayers, the Cortisone shot and the excellent Physio this week, I'm already feeling better! I don't go back now until next Friday, but I'll keep up the physio at home for the next week;).

Had the old Bull shipped to my home garage last night. Tow truck driver was a really nice young fella and was very mindful of the new paint on the frame. He joked with my wife and said that he felt bad that she'd be spending Christmas all alone...lol (because I'd be in the garage) which is only partially true...lol.

Not even sure what to start next, but I think I'll get that Flareside bed disassembled over the next week or so, and pop the cover off that 8.8 and see what's inside;). TGIF people.

Good deal, Cory. Glad you are getting better. But I'll keep praying. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, glad you got the truck home. Now you can work on it over the holidays - right?

He joked with my wife and said that he felt bad that she'd be spending Christmas all alone...lol (because I'd be in the garage) which is only partially true...lol.

Funny my wife said the same thing to one of her friends a week back because my brother was coming (is here now) and we would either be talking cars or in the garage.

So far she is right, if not in the garage we are talking car stuff, he does body work for a living.

She is doing her animal rescue thing she does on Saturdays so she will not have to put up with us for a bit LOL

Just don't over do the work thing on the truck and get hurt, truck will be there when you heal.

Them bed side panels can be heavy and cumbersome, I know, been there done that!

Dave ----

Now you can work on it over the holidays - right?

Yes sir, BUT...I have to focus on some easy tasks for now. I really want to remove the rest of the braking system, but I'll wait a little longer until the shoulder heals up.

After spending some time cleaning the garage this morning, I popped the cover off my 8.8 diff. I believe the fluid that was in it was the original stuff...and if it wasn't it was in there for a very long time. The fill plug, which I removed earlier this year, was rusted/seized in place so badly it was a real bear to remove. Anyway, looks like it had exactly 2.75 quarts in it, so that's good news.

IMG_6276.jpg.e46cda99fb889ddbefd698ab57cafa98.jpg

Question(s):?

What are you guys typically running for gear oil in your open diffs? I have 3x liters of 80w90 on hand (from Napa), but I was reading today that the 8.8 is supposed to take 75w140 full synthetic? Any comments good or bad?

Next up are the axle seals and wheel bearings. I was going to throw new bearings and seals in it, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother? It's not leaking or anything...I was just going to replace them for maintenance sake since they're 35 years old.

Now you can work on it over the holidays - right?

Yes sir, BUT...I have to focus on some easy tasks for now. I really want to remove the rest of the braking system, but I'll wait a little longer until the shoulder heals up.

After spending some time cleaning the garage this morning, I popped the cover off my 8.8 diff. I believe the fluid that was in it was the original stuff...and if it wasn't it was in there for a very long time. The fill plug, which I removed earlier this year, was rusted/seized in place so badly it was a real bear to remove. Anyway, looks like it had exactly 2.75 quarts in it, so that's good news.

Question(s):?

What are you guys typically running for gear oil in your open diffs? I have 3x liters of 80w90 on hand (from Napa), but I was reading today that the 8.8 is supposed to take 75w140 full synthetic? Any comments good or bad?

Next up are the axle seals and wheel bearings. I was going to throw new bearings and seals in it, but now I'm wondering if I should even bother? It's not leaking or anything...I was just going to replace them for maintenance sake since they're 35 years old.

I'm pretty sure the original spec, which is E0AZ-19580-A, is for dino oil. But synthetic 80W-90 isn't expensive and that's what I'd put in.

And if you had a full diff then I'm not sure I'd worry about the seals or bearings. Don't know about an 8.8, but a 9" is a pain to change those on.

Yes, it's the same as the one in my pic.

Well that's cool then. Junkyard price for a rear diff cover is $7.10

So, how do I drop that rear diff far enough to get the cover off it?

This link below shows how a guy modded one.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/modifying-an-explorer-aluminum-cover-to-fit-any-8-8.653880/

I guess you'd prybar the CVs out of the diff while swinging the knuckles away (probably involving knocking the BJs out); followed by pulling the 4 d'shaft bolts (12mm 12-point w/red threadlocker); pop off a vent hose or 2; maybe a speed sensor; and then pull the 4 bolts that hold the diff in the chassis.

I don't remember ever doing it myself, but I suppose I had to when I replaced the diff that I got my cover from.

I guess you'd prybar the CVs out of the diff while swinging the knuckles away (probably involving knocking the BJs out); followed by pulling the 4 d'shaft bolts (12mm 12-point w/red threadlocker); pop off a vent hose or 2; maybe a speed sensor; and then pull the 4 bolts that hold the diff in the chassis.

I don't remember ever doing it myself, but I suppose I had to when I replaced the diff that I got my cover from.

Well thanks for the heads up on this inexpensive mod Steve. I grabbed this IRS 8.8 cover at the pick N pull this morning. $9 bucks out the door, taxes included. Took me about 30 mins all total to drop the diff out of the cradle and get the cover off. It was -11C outside, and even colder with the windchill, so I didn't waste any time. Between the cold and a bum shoulder, it wasn't much fun. (If Ray is reading out in Saskatchewan, he probably thinks that -11C is t-shirt weather...lol).

Anyway, needs some cleaning, and of course I have to cut the "ears" off it. It will look good when it's all done, increases my fluid capacity a little bit, and gives me magnetic tipped fill and drain plugs.

IMG_6365.jpg.86b6478fb842ded81c98d5d55d91d7d3.jpg

When it's all chopped up and cleaned, it will look like this cover below...

8.jpg.d075639ce9b50a38bb00aefd33c8d4f0.jpg

Not a nice Trickflow or Ford Racing aluminum cover, but for under $10 bucks and a little bit of elbow grease, it will look good from a distance, and I needed a new cover anyway;).

:nabble_smiley_evil: