Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Question for Gary or anybody else that can answer:

I need to replace/repair my battery tray, but I don't even know what is supposed to be there. There is a steel tray under the plastic fender liner but it has rusted into oblivion. My battery was just sitting on the fender liner. Can anybody tell me what is supposed to be there?

Might this help? Electrical/Battery Trays

But, I like the 1987 and later style tray better as it has a brace that bolts to the fender to take the load off things. And, it captures the battery at the bottom instead of using the top retainers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I like the 1987 and later style tray better as it has a brace that bolts to the fender to take the load off things. And, it captures the battery at the bottom instead of using the top retainers.

I have been looking at this too. Seems like a change to the inner fender would be required to use the later battery tray.

I have been looking at this too. Seems like a change to the inner fender would be required to use the later battery tray.

I put one in place on Rusty some time ago but didn’t use it. The only thing I found was that the solenoid would be very close to the brace.

Yes sir, helps perfectly. Seems that the tray is still available...not sure about the other parts, but I'll see what I can scrounge up. Thanks Gary, much appreciated!!

Oh,...and I just thought of something else I've been meaning to ask:

Does anybody know what color my engine was originally? Or was it just bare metal? It is now rust colored...lol, and I don't see any signs that it ever was painted. The valve covers were grey by the looks of 'em.

Oh,...and I just thought of something else I've been meaning to ask:

Does anybody know what color my engine was originally? Or was it just bare metal? It is now rust colored...lol, and I don't see any signs that it ever was painted. The valve covers were grey by the looks of 'em.

I think by '84 they were all gray. But there is debate about exactly when they changed from blue to gray. Most of what I've read says '82.

I think by '84 they were all gray. But there is debate about exactly when they changed from blue to gray. Most of what I've read says '82.

Thanks Gary.

I'll worry about painting the engine a little later, I was just curious for now. I think I'd like to paint it blue though. Not sure if there is a specific blue for the Ford engines, but it probably doesn't matter in my case. This thing won't be on the stage at Barret Jackson...lol.

Thanks Gary.

I'll worry about painting the engine a little later, I was just curious for now. I think I'd like to paint it blue though. Not sure if there is a specific blue for the Ford engines, but it probably doesn't matter in my case. This thing won't be on the stage at Barret Jackson...lol.

I think Old Ford Blue is the correct color for the earlier engines. https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1621-Ceramic-Engine-Paint/dp/B00296DYD8