Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

So, I'm working on UN-deleting some of the factory deleted items in my old Blue Mule. Next on the to-do list on this optionless beauty is the cigarette lighter and illumination. I don't actually need the cigarette lighter, but if I'm going to take this thing on any trips next year, I will need a cell phone charging port...and well, it's one of those things I'd just like to have working. I just noticed tonight, a quick reach under the dash just next to the ashtray, where the cig lighter would be, two wires hanging down. One a yellow wire with a single rubber coated socket on the end...same as what is on the temp sensor in the engine. Is this the main 12v+ for the cig lighter? Next to it is a black wire with a female spade connector that is wrapped in a black cloth tape. Is this the ground for the cigarette lighter? Can anybody confirm?

While I was looking through the EVTM for clues, I did see that there was (possibly?) ash tray illumination. Would this have been optional as well, or is this illumination just part of the heater/vent controls illumination just above the ash tray? If the ash tray gets it's own bulb for illumination, where would it go?

Annnnd...I see in the EVTM that there are dash/instrument courtesy illumination options as well? Two bulbs? Where exactly would these things be so I can go hunting for loose wires? I assume I'd have to scavenge these from a junkyard truck...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes, that's the power wire, but it should be yellow with blue dot's. I'm sure it is. And the other wire should be ground.

As for the illumination, the ash tray had its own as an option. It is shown in the wiring on Page 87: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument-illumination2.html

As for the courtesy lamps, I'll try to get some pics of those on Big Blue tomorrow. But they are right next to the two kick panels. And, as shown on Page 83, you are looking for black/light blue wires.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's the power wire, but it should be yellow with blue dot's. I'm sure it is. And the other wire should be ground.

As for the illumination, the ash tray had its own as an option. It is shown in the wiring on Page 87: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument-illumination2.html

As for the courtesy lamps, I'll try to get some pics of those on Big Blue tomorrow. But they are right next to the two kick panels. And, as shown on Page 83, you are looking for black/light blue wires.

The courtesy lights have their own sub harness. It plugs in kind of behind the HVAC controls on a connector mounted to the dash frame. It provides power for the kick panel lights and the glove box light that comes on when you open it. The ash tray light is a separate deal. It should come on with the rest of the dash lights. I pulled one of these courtesy light group harnesses to upgrade my ‘81 but I have not gotten around to putting it in.

The courtesy lights have their own sub harness. It plugs in kind of behind the HVAC controls on a connector mounted to the dash frame. It provides power for the kick panel lights and the glove box light that comes on when you open it. The ash tray light is a separate deal. It should come on with the rest of the dash lights. I pulled one of these courtesy light group harnesses to upgrade my ‘81 but I have not gotten around to putting it in.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll worry about the cigarette lighter first and the illumination later. My optionless truck is REALLY dark inside at night. At least I know what to look for when I get in them at the junkyard (when and if I ever find them).

Thanks guys. I guess I'll worry about the cigarette lighter first and the illumination later. My optionless truck is REALLY dark inside at night. At least I know what to look for when I get in them at the junkyard (when and if I ever find them).

Look at Page 69 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlamps.html. That shows the backside of the instrument panel, and C125 (or C125A?) is the connector that powers the courtesy lights.

Also on that page in the lower left is a depiction of one of the courtesy lamps. And, on the right end of the instrument panel, meaning the left in in the illustration because we are looking at the back, there's a "See View A", which is that depiction of the courtesy light. That shows where that one goes.

Look at Page 69 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlamps.html. That shows the backside of the instrument panel, and C125 (or C125A?) is the connector that powers the courtesy lights.

Also on that page in the lower left is a depiction of one of the courtesy lamps. And, on the right end of the instrument panel, meaning the left in in the illustration because we are looking at the back, there's a "See View A", which is that depiction of the courtesy light. That shows where that one goes.

And are the courtesy lamps on the same circuit as the dome light?

And are the courtesy lamps on the same circuit as the dome light?

Yes. Black/light blue wires.

Yes. Black/light blue wires.

Another random thing that has been a pet peeve with my old Bullnose is that my left hand seat belt buckle is flipped upside down. The belt is not flipped over anywhere...and the bolt in the floor of the cab is rusted in place like it's been there for 35 years. Is there a way to correct this easily? Can the winder up in the B pillar be taken apart? I have never touched one of these before.

IMG_5804.jpg.971dfbd0d983072babec4de6cf3bfb58.jpg

The right hand side is correct.

IMG_5803.jpg.c5868376bfc6c71d5c1f529bdfc72a42.jpg

Another random thing that has been a pet peeve with my old Bullnose is that my left hand seat belt buckle is flipped upside down. The belt is not flipped over anywhere...and the bolt in the floor of the cab is rusted in place like it's been there for 35 years. Is there a way to correct this easily? Can the winder up in the B pillar be taken apart? I have never touched one of these before.

The right hand side is correct.

I've never taken one apart so I don't know. But, have you tried penetrating oil, daily, on that bolt?

I've never taken one apart so I don't know. But, have you tried penetrating oil, daily, on that bolt?

Oh...well I'm not overly worried about getting the bolt out...that I can deal with. My problem is that if I just flip it around on the bottom I'll end up with a twisted belt, which I really didn't want. It's like the whole thing is backwards, ya know?

Oh...well I'm not overly worried about getting the bolt out...that I can deal with. My problem is that if I just flip it around on the bottom I'll end up with a twisted belt, which I really didn't want. It's like the whole thing is backwards, ya know?

I have been able to fold the belt over and work it back through, (if that makes sense) on some vehicles.

I haven't done it on these era Fords I don't think.

Sometime ago did that to our Suburban. It's amazing to me how they get like that.