Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Yes, and according to my rough measurements, it looks like I'll be able to use my existing driveshaft and trans yoke. That would be slick.

The only piece that I still have not sourced is the plug for the 1991 reverse switch. It's no big deal...only two wires, so it's nothing to splice it in, but I still need the plug. I'll find one once I get digging around for one. With all the other stuff I need to do, that is relatively low priority at the moment;).

Now you are going to a hydraulic clutch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and according to my rough measurements, it looks like I'll be able to use my existing driveshaft and trans yoke. That would be slick.

The only piece that I still have not sourced is the plug for the 1991 reverse switch. It's no big deal...only two wires, so it's nothing to splice it in, but I still need the plug. I'll find one once I get digging around for one. With all the other stuff I need to do, that is relatively low priority at the moment;).

So the winter work has started LOL

I will have to check in here from time to time to see how your doing.

Dave ----

Pete - If this is an '84 it should already have a hydraulic linkage. The changeover started in '83 with the 460's and diesels, and then in '84 everything got hydraulic.

Yeah, my truck has a hydraulic clutch already, so that part is an easy swap. I haven't picked up any parts for that yet, but I'll be installing a new master, slave, and line.

Dave ----

Yeah, I've dug into it a bit the past few days. Once everything is out, I will have a lot of work to do. Just doing mechanical this winter. Body work will be next year if all goes well.

Dave ----

Yeah, I've dug into it a bit the past few days. Once everything is out, I will have a lot of work to do. Just doing mechanical this winter. Body work will be next year if all goes well.

I didn't realize the '84s had a hydraulic clutch. I thought it was later.

Looks like a good plan. :nabble_smiley_good: Are you going to pull the grille, radiator, and core support to pull the engine? I find that doing so allows you to bring the engine forward without having to go so high with it. But, it makes for more work, and you may find you have rust problems where the core support bolts to the frame. So, .....

Yes, lots more work...and yes, rust issues, but it is out. Next is the engine...just have to cut the exhaust off, and lift it out of there. Not sure if it will be today or not as I have a few chores to do first;).

image1_(Small).jpeg.a107c9fd62e6aaeeea060417d9592ec4.jpeg

So are you keeping the same engine? Just pulling it to clean it up, new gaskets etc? or?

So are you keeping the same engine? Just pulling it to clean it up, new gaskets etc? or?

Yes, staying with the same engine. I'm pulling it to clean it up, remove the smog equipment, fix all the leaks, paint, etc. I'm also swapping in a 4bbl carb and intake, and likely a cam and shorty headers, but that will basically be it. I won't need any more power than that for what I'll be doing, and the engine has pretty low miles, so I might as well leave the rest of it as is. I think with the 5spd swapped in, and the engine all tuned up it should work much better than it does now. It's a bit of a slowpoke as it is now;).

Yes, staying with the same engine. I'm pulling it to clean it up, remove the smog equipment, fix all the leaks, paint, etc. I'm also swapping in a 4bbl carb and intake, and likely a cam and shorty headers, but that will basically be it. I won't need any more power than that for what I'll be doing, and the engine has pretty low miles, so I might as well leave the rest of it as is. I think with the 5spd swapped in, and the engine all tuned up it should work much better than it does now. It's a bit of a slowpoke as it is now;).

Question for Gary or anybody else that can answer:

I need to replace/repair my battery tray, but I don't even know what is supposed to be there. There is a steel tray under the plastic fender liner but it has rusted into oblivion. My battery was just sitting on the fender liner. Can anybody tell me what is supposed to be there?