Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

This dirty old thing showed up with the courier this morning. Another to-do item on my long list of things. It needs some rehab work, but it was cheap enough I decided to grab it. As far as I know, it's a 1983 (Although the seller claimed that it was a 1982). According to my measurements, a 1982 air filter would be too small for it, and the only 5.0 carbed air cleaner with the black stripe after 1982 was 1983. I should be able to pretty it up and make it more presentable.

Definitely not '82. The '82 is smaller diameter and does not say 4V on it. It's '83 or possibly very early '84.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not '82. The '82 is smaller diameter and does not say 4V on it. It's '83 or possibly very early '84.

Yeah, that's what my research told me as well...1983 or possibly early 1984.

So...

How do I make the thing factory functional? Do I have to go hunting on the Foxbody forums for that info?

So...

How do I make the thing factory functional? Do I have to go hunting on the Foxbody forums for that info?

Not sure what you mean by that. Both snorkels have vacuum motors. And you need at least the Air Cleaner Temp Sensor, if not the Cold Weather Modulator, and it all plumbs together as shown here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaners.html.

But, if you only have hot air on one exhaust manifold you'll want to block off the hot air port on the other snorkel. That way you'll only pull hot air from one side, and cold air from both.

Not sure what you mean by that. Both snorkels have vacuum motors. And you need at least the Air Cleaner Temp Sensor, if not the Cold Weather Modulator, and it all plumbs together as shown here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaners.html.

But, if you only have hot air on one exhaust manifold you'll want to block off the hot air port on the other snorkel. That way you'll only pull hot air from one side, and cold air from both.

Oh...well I meant functional as in how the thing was supposed to work when it was installed on the vehicle. How the vacuum is plumbed, etc. What do you mean by hot air on one manifold? Do you mean the little heat shroud that would have been on the passenger side exhaust manifold?

Oh...well I meant functional as in how the thing was supposed to work when it was installed on the vehicle. How the vacuum is plumbed, etc. What do you mean by hot air on one manifold? Do you mean the little heat shroud that would have been on the passenger side exhaust manifold?

Yes, the heat shroud and the accompanying tube that connects it to the air cleaner. To be factory functional you have to have some source of heat for at least one snorkel. But, if you live in an area which isn't plagued with carb icing then you might get by w/o it.

On the other hand, you may be able to make a shroud that goes around part of your header to gather heat.

Yes, the heat shroud and the accompanying tube that connects it to the air cleaner. To be factory functional you have to have some source of heat for at least one snorkel. But, if you live in an area which isn't plagued with carb icing then you might get by w/o it.

On the other hand, you may be able to make a shroud that goes around part of your header to gather heat.

Ok, so I've done some reading on these air cleaners and how the snorkel flappers are supposed to operate. (And how the vacuum lines are plumbed). I'm mostly all good now...

Two questions remain for me:

1. The ACTS does what exactly? This isn't quite clear to me. Are the ACTS and the CWM doing the same thing at the same time, at slightly different temperatures? Vacuum flows through the ACTS and then to the CWM, and then on to the vacuum motors on the snorkels. The CWM operates between 55-76F, and that's all well and good. The ACTS opens at 105f?

2. Is the ACTS typically supplied with full manifold vacuum? It looks like there is a flow restricter of some sort in the supply line? Can I supply full manifold vacuum?

Ok, so I've done some reading on these air cleaners and how the snorkel flappers are supposed to operate. (And how the vacuum lines are plumbed). I'm mostly all good now...

Two questions remain for me:

1. The ACTS does what exactly? This isn't quite clear to me. Are the ACTS and the CWM doing the same thing at the same time, at slightly different temperatures? Vacuum flows through the ACTS and then to the CWM, and then on to the vacuum motors on the snorkels. The CWM operates between 55-76F, and that's all well and good. The ACTS opens at 105f?

2. Is the ACTS typically supplied with full manifold vacuum? It looks like there is a flow restricter of some sort in the supply line? Can I supply full manifold vacuum?

Man am I glad you are asking all these questions Rembrant!!

I am curious about this as well because although I have stripped most of my emissions off my '85, after reading Gary's thoughts on stock air cleaners I have a new interest in reusing mine.

I have been curious about what all to do to get them plumbed back in. I will likely get a new section of fresh air duct since mine melted in the fire, so I may only have the fresh air part and not the heated air since I don't have a connection point in my headers.

Still trying to sort all that out but I am in Transmission rest-mode and on a leak fixing mission, so this thread let's me kill a third bird with the same stone! 😉 Good luck! (And shoot a few pics to let me see your set up) 😎

The ACTS does what exactly?
Detects ambient air temp to control whether the carb sucks hot (stove) air or cold (outside) air, via the flapper.
Are the ACTS and the CWM doing the same thing at the same time...
No. The CWM changes how the flapper behaves when the ACTS closes.
Is the ACTS typically supplied with full manifold vacuum? It looks like there is a flow restricter of some sort in the supply line?
Post a good pic of your VECI label/vacuum map.
Can I supply full manifold vacuum?
Probably...

The ACTS does what exactly?
Detects ambient air temp to control whether the carb sucks hot (stove) air or cold (outside) air, via the flapper.
Are the ACTS and the CWM doing the same thing at the same time...
No. The CWM changes how the flapper behaves when the ACTS closes.
Is the ACTS typically supplied with full manifold vacuum? It looks like there is a flow restricter of some sort in the supply line?
Post a good pic of your VECI label/vacuum map.
Can I supply full manifold vacuum?
Probably...

Ok, I guess that's why I'm confused then. If the ACTS closes, it cuts off the vacuum supply to the CWM. Unless you meant to say when the ACTS opens?

The vacuum diagram from my truck is irrelevant as everything is gone under the hood.

I'm really just curious how the system is supposed to work? Is the ACTS just an open/close valve? And then the CWM is what modulates the air motors?

Anything I've found shows vacuum supplied to the ACTS, from there to the CWM, and from there to the air motors for the flapper valves. Just curious on the operational logic, that's all.