Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Hopefully you got the mounting bracket as well?

I didn't take the tank or the bracket because at the time I thought it was the same as what I had. Now that is see that it mounts differently (and that you've confirmed it is correct), I will go back and grab it. The one in my truck with the 2 top tabs doesn't mount quite right anyway. They want $6.50 for it, and for that I'll grab it and get it all cleaned up.

Thanks for confirming Gary!! You're a great help!

:nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pictured tank [still at the yard] is the same as the factory one in my 1986.
Does yours have a MotorCraft sticker? That makes it look like a replacement - not a factory part.

Any original or "correct" replacement tank should not only fit the normal fender & bottom bracket, but also the aux.batt. tray & toolbox plate.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/905422/thumbnail/battrelayaux.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895153/thumbnail/toolbox8086.jpg

The pictured tank [still at the yard] is the same as the factory one in my 1986.
Does yours have a MotorCraft sticker? That makes it look like a replacement - not a factory part.

It did have a Motorcraft sticker, but it was half curled up so I peeled it all off when I cleaned the tank in the winter. It looks like it's an original Ford tank...its just not the correct one for the truck.

Somebody commented earlier in this thread that it looked like a Ranger tank, and comparing it to this one currently on Ebay, that is exactly what it appears to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272377407867

I'm going to grab the '86 F150 factory one tomorrow and see if I can get it cleaned up reasonably well.

Somebody commented earlier in this thread that it looked like a Ranger tank, and comparing it to this one currently on Ebay, that is exactly what it appears to be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272377407867

I'm going to grab the '86 F150 factory one tomorrow and see if I can get it cleaned up reasonably well.

This dirty old thing showed up with the courier this morning. Another to-do item on my long list of things. It needs some rehab work, but it was cheap enough I decided to grab it. As far as I know, it's a 1983 (Although the seller claimed that it was a 1982). According to my measurements, a 1982 air filter would be too small for it, and the only 5.0 carbed air cleaner with the black stripe after 1982 was 1983. I should be able to pretty it up and make it more presentable.

IMG_5537.jpg.1b4d3646dc05b5172ac8ba80660c4ad4.jpg

This dirty old thing showed up with the courier this morning. Another to-do item on my long list of things. It needs some rehab work, but it was cheap enough I decided to grab it. As far as I know, it's a 1983 (Although the seller claimed that it was a 1982). According to my measurements, a 1982 air filter would be too small for it, and the only 5.0 carbed air cleaner with the black stripe after 1982 was 1983. I should be able to pretty it up and make it more presentable.

Nice!

Yes, nice! Gonna look good. Have you seen my discovery that using the original cold-air plumbing upside down will work to the driver's side of the radiator support? And, on the ones I've seen, there's a spot on there that can be cut out for cold air.

Yes, nice! Gonna look good. Have you seen my discovery that using the original cold-air plumbing upside down will work to the driver's side of the radiator support? And, on the ones I've seen, there's a spot on there that can be cut out for cold air.

Gary, yes...I've done some (a lot actually...lol) reading on the topic before I got to this point. My core support has the air duct hole on the driver's side already. I'm just waiting for the other intake duct plastic end to get here to see how it will all fit together. My factory air duct looks like it would also work on the driver's side (right side up as well). If it won't fit in the channel of the core support, I have a lot of room to cut a new hole if need be. (Small rad...no A/C = extra core support space on driver's side).