Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

And, good that you can take trips of that length w/o problems. Well done!

Haha, ain't that the truth! Funny...I drove my wife to work yesterday as I'm on vacation, and she was all concerned..."what happens if you break down?, how will I get home, etc".

I wasn't really worried, I mean, that's what wreckers are for...lol, but still, I watched the gauges like a hawk, and listened for any little noises. The temp gauge is not scaled properly, so I need to get that fixed up in the near future.

I'd like to be able to drive this thing to Oklahoma one day for a Bullnose gathering;). I'll keep taking it on little road trips to test it out, and then maybe she'll be ready next year for a big trip. (and maybe I can hit 20 MPG...lol).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice picture! I have heard that the 302 can return some good highway mileage if tuned and geared right. Do you happen to know your truck’s curb weight?

I checked it not long after installing the engine, and it got 16.5 MPG at that time. I've now got a few more miles on it, and I've played with the ignition (a little bit). I'm really happy with the 18.25 MPG. Of course the 5spd trans and 3.08 diff are a big help in this department.

I know that the wide tires are not helping the fuel efficiency, but they're not going anywhere, so I'll have to work with them. If I installed a set of the small factory size (215/75-15) on there, I'm sure it would help bump that number upwards a little.

Something that would help is cruise control, and that is on my to-do list, but not this year. Hopefully that's something I'll have installed and working for the 2019 Bullnose season;).

I do not know the weight, but I've been very curious myself. I may check with the construction scrap yard up the road and see if they'll let me go for a drive on the scale.

Nice picture! I have heard that the 302 can return some good highway mileage if tuned and geared right. Do you happen to know your truck’s curb weight?

I checked it not long after installing the engine, and it got 16.5 MPG at that time. I've now got a few more miles on it, and I've played with the ignition (a little bit). I'm really happy with the 18.25 MPG. Of course the 5spd trans and 3.08 diff are a big help in this department.

I know that the wide tires are not helping the fuel efficiency, but they're not going anywhere, so I'll have to work with them. If I installed a set of the small factory size (215/75-15) on there, I'm sure it would help bump that number upwards a little.

Something that would help is cruise control, and that is on my to-do list, but not this year. Hopefully that's something I'll have installed and working for the 2019 Bullnose season;).

I do not know the weight, but I've been very curious myself. I may check with the construction scrap yard up the road and see if they'll let me go for a drive on the scale.

I remember reading that 2wd flareside was the lightest configuration for these trucks... almost muscle car light... which made them attractive for go-fast toys. However it would also benefit those on a quest for good mpg. I don’t know how much it affects highway mpg (as I recall at higher speeds the weight factor is less significant than the wind drag), but it would certainly help the average mpg with start-stop city driving factored in.

Do you happen to know your truck’s curb weight?

Fresh off the scales this morning Jon, and it registered at 1680 kg, with me in it.

So, that works out to 3696 lbs.

Minus me at about 220 lbs dressed, and the truck would weigh 3476 lbs.

That's with an estimated 80 lbs of fuel in it too (should be about 12.5 gallons in it when weighed).

So, with coolant and lube oils, but with an almost empty fuel tank, the truck would weigh right around 3400 lbs I guess. Would that be the curb weight? Not sure how the weight of the fuel plays into curb weight.

That's also without a spare tire and spare tire hanger assembly.

I've been really curious about the weight, so I guess that settles it. I removed some weight under the hood when I removed the emissions equipment and air pump, etc. Heck, even the aluminum manifold is significantly lighter than the cast iron 2bbl factory intake.

I was originally thinking that the dual exhaust added weight to the truck, but the more I think of it, it probably didn't add all that much. It now has two small 14" mufflers instead of the one larger factory style/size muffler, but at the same time, I also removed the stock catalytic converter and associated pieces. The shorty headers are probably a little lighter than the original cast iron exhaust manifolds. If there's any added weight in the exhaust, I'm thinking that it would really only amount to an extra tail pipe...if anything at all. It's probably a wash all things considered.

The tires and wheels are definitely heavier than the factory set up. I have no idea how much, but it could be 15-20 lbs at each corner? I don't know.

There...

I've examined that to death haven't I?...lol.

Fresh off the scales this morning Jon, and it registered at 1680 kg, with me in it.

That's with an estimated 80 lbs of fuel in it too (should be about 12.5 gallons in it when weighed).

So, with coolant and lube oils, but with an almost empty fuel tank, the truck would weigh right around 3400 lbs I guess. Would that be the curb weight? Not sure how the weight of the fuel plays into curb weight.

I've been really curious about the weight, so I guess that settles it. I removed some weight under the hood when I removed the emissions equipment and air pump, etc. Heck, even the aluminum manifold is significantly lighter than the cast iron 2bbl factory intake.

I was originally thinking that the dual exhaust added weight to the truck, but the more I think of it, it probably didn't add all that much. It now has two small 14" mufflers instead of the one larger factory style/size muffler, but at the same time, I also removed the stock catalytic converter and associated pieces. The shorty headers are probably a little lighter than the original cast iron exhaust manifolds. If there's any added weight in the exhaust, I'm thinking that it would really only amount to an extra tail pipe...if anything at all. It's probably a wash all things considered.

The tires and wheels are definitely heavier than the factory set up. I have no idea how much, but it could be 15-20 lbs at each corner? I don't know.

There...

Wow. That is light for a truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, hope you can make it next year! Tomorrow is the show, and today people are arriving. We are having a gathering of Bullnose fans at our house this evening, but the show is for all years of Ford trucks. Perhaps as things, like the forum and the Bullnose contingent of the show, grow we may have a Bullnose section.

Back on the cruise control for MPG. Maybe. I believe that most cruise controls are detrimental to economy, and the more power the engine has the more detrimental they are. That's because they always respond after you hit a hill and then try to maintain speed by opening the throttle abruptly. I know that I can easily beat the cruise control's MPG on Blue by feeding the engine manually, and you can see the difference on the turbo display.

But, the Bullnose cruise is operated via vacuum. So it might be possible to use an orifice to slow the application of throttle.

But, the Bullnose cruise is operated via vacuum. So it might be possible to use an orifice to slow the application of throttle.

Gary,

I was actually intending to install a Rostra cruise control (servo operated). I have some experience with these kits and have used them before. They are really accurate...you can set the gain, etc. I've already spoken to them, and the factory Ford VSS (already purchased) will work fine for feedback.

I should note however, that my intention for cruise control is just to maintain a steady speed on the highway. MPG was not my main goal.

With the 5spd and 3.08 diff (and 300HP 302) it is really easy to over-speed with this thing, and I had to concentrate to keep it steady (and slow...lol).

Anyway, that's a project for 2019;).

Gary,

I was actually intending to install a Rostra cruise control (servo operated). I have some experience with these kits and have used them before. They are really accurate...you can set the gain, etc. I've already spoken to them, and the factory Ford VSS (already purchased) will work fine for feedback.

I should note however, that my intention for cruise control is just to maintain a steady speed on the highway. MPG was not my main goal.

With the 5spd and 3.08 diff (and 300HP 302) it is really easy to over-speed with this thing, and I had to concentrate to keep it steady (and slow...lol).

Anyway, that's a project for 2019;).

If you can tune it then maybe it will help with MPG. Anyway, it'll be a cool project. And, a big help when you come to visit in a year. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There...

Wow. Your truck is roughly 1,000 lbs. lighter than my ‘81 and about half the weight of my IDI. When I think of curb weight, I think of a fully equipped truck as it came from the dealer with all fluids and spare tire etc., but without extras like a tool box... or the driver.

I’ll bet the light weight and the 5 speed makes it fun to drive! And you are right that 3.08’s with overdrive help a lot in the mpg department. I can see why your speed would tend to creep up on you thoughwith the V8 power band. I want to add cruise, or “speed control” but just for convenience and comfort.

Wow. Your truck is roughly 1,000 lbs. lighter than my ‘81 and about half the weight of my IDI. When I think of curb weight, I think of a fully equipped truck as it came from the dealer with all fluids and spare tire etc., but without extras like a tool box... or the driver.

I’ll bet the light weight and the 5 speed makes it fun to drive! And you are right that 3.08’s with overdrive help a lot in the mpg department. I can see why your speed would tend to creep up on you thoughwith the V8 power band. I want to add cruise, or “speed control” but just for convenience and comfort.

I suppose all the differences add up pretty quickly huh? Front differential, axles, front driveshaft, etc. Then there's the transfer case, 16" extra inches of frame and rear driveshaft, 8 foot styleside box, step bumper? Air conditioning I assume?

I am really really pleased with the 5spd swap. It's nice in the sense that it's a truck transmission, and it was for the most part all plug and play (it looks like it belongs in the cab). I wasn't wanting the thing to be a hotrod, but at the same time, I did have an urge for a bit of a hotrod feel (V8 rumble, shifting gears, etc). It pulls along pretty good, I must say. I'm happy with the 3.08 diff, but it almost needs a 3.25 diff or maybe even a 3.55 if one wanted it to be really sporty. To me, it's a great little driver and I have no intention of changing it, but a 3.25 would get it into the power band just a little bit better I think.

I suppose all the differences add up pretty quickly huh? Front differential, axles, front driveshaft, etc. Then there's the transfer case, 16" extra inches of frame and rear driveshaft, 8 foot styleside box, step bumper? Air conditioning I assume?

I am really really pleased with the 5spd swap. It's nice in the sense that it's a truck transmission, and it was for the most part all plug and play (it looks like it belongs in the cab). I wasn't wanting the thing to be a hotrod, but at the same time, I did have an urge for a bit of a hotrod feel (V8 rumble, shifting gears, etc). It pulls along pretty good, I must say. I'm happy with the 3.08 diff, but it almost needs a 3.25 diff or maybe even a 3.55 if one wanted it to be really sporty. To me, it's a great little driver and I have no intention of changing it, but a 3.25 would get it into the power band just a little bit better I think.

By the way, my fuel gauge is not going to completely full reading.

See pic below of where it sits when full. Is this an issue with the float in the tank? It seems to work fine otherwise. Gauge was a hair above Empty yesterday, and it took 14+ gallons to fill. I assume that's a fairly normal fill amount for a 16 gallon tank that's just above the empty mark.

IMG_5421.jpg.6e6ec0769136bf1c8f65bbb10cf164ab.jpg