Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I finally got around to dropping the old spare tire out from under the bed.

It's an old H78-15 tire from Canadian Tire, so it's not something that came with the truck. Says it is Nylon Belted. It's as bald as a cue ball, rotten, and flat...lol. Wouldn't have been much good on the side of the road. When I Google H78-15, they keep coming up as trailer tires, or antique tires...lol. I think this one is older than the truck.

The underside of the bed is in surprisingly good condition for the age of the truck. That is the original plywood, which looks great on the bottom, but has rotten and flakey patches on the topside. The bed crossmembers look to be in great condition. Thank goodness the original owner had the thing undercoated or it wouldn't still be here today;).

Getting ready to drain the diff fluid, so parts of the motivation to remove the spare was easier access to the rear cover.

Haha...Nabble will not let that 2nd picture post the right side up. I even tried flipping it 180 before loading it, and then Nabble posts it correctly...lol. So the only way it seems the picture will go is upside down.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha...Nabble will not let that 2nd picture post the right side up. I even tried flipping it 180 before loading it, and then Nabble posts it correctly...lol. So the only way it seems the picture will go is upside down.

Oh man, I need this thing like a hole in the head, but it's not all that far away...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1369112254&requestSource=b

I'm leaving in a couple days to go offshore for a few weeks, and my wife would kill me...LOL., but still...Flaresides are like potato chips, you can't have just one...

Oh man, I need this thing like a hole in the head, but it's not all that far away...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1369112254&requestSource=b

I'm leaving in a couple days to go offshore for a few weeks, and my wife would kill me...LOL., but still...Flaresides are like potato chips, you can't have just one...

I think you mean another hole in the head. I mean, you already have one - truck/hole in the head - what's the difference? :nabble_anim_confused:(

But, for $2000 ($1500 US?) its a good buy - if it is all there. However, if the trim isn't there or some other expensive parts, it'll add up in a hurry.

I think you mean another hole in the head. I mean, you already have one - truck/hole in the head - what's the difference? :nabble_anim_confused:(

But, for $2000 ($1500 US?) its a good buy - if it is all there. However, if the trim isn't there or some other expensive parts, it'll add up in a hurry.

I had a chat with the guy, and it's all there...every bit and piece. Even the bed, as rotten as it may be, is all original. Still has the original wood in it, although it is in poor condition. It has (and had) the typical rust issues...front fenders, cab corners, etc.

This truck is a few hours north of me (which to me, is still "close"), and they do get much colder winter's up there. What that means is, much less road salt. So, as odd as it may seem, some northern (far northern) vehicles are kept almost as pristine as the southern ones.

My biggest issue is storage actually. I'd buy the darn thing just for the heck of it, but I don't have anywhere to put it;(.

I had a chat with the guy, and it's all there...every bit and piece. Even the bed, as rotten as it may be, is all original. Still has the original wood in it, although it is in poor condition. It has (and had) the typical rust issues...front fenders, cab corners, etc.

This truck is a few hours north of me (which to me, is still "close"), and they do get much colder winter's up there. What that means is, much less road salt. So, as odd as it may seem, some northern (far northern) vehicles are kept almost as pristine as the southern ones.

My biggest issue is storage actually. I'd buy the darn thing just for the heck of it, but I don't have anywhere to put it;(.

Where's Ray/NotEnoughTrucks? He seems to have storage galore. :nabble_smiley_evil:

(Yes, I know he's a long ways away from you. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Where's Ray/NotEnoughTrucks? He seems to have storage galore. :nabble_smiley_evil:

(Yes, I know he's a long ways away from you. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Ain't that the truth!

Ray is a few thousand miles west of me, and has a good 3rd of a mile on me in elevation...lol. (And I know that you know your geography). I'd probably consider outdoor storage out in the prairies...but around here, it's just too damp and wet...the brake rotors on my daily driver will turn orange with rust after sitting for only a couple days;(. Sad but true.

• 2 months later...

Ain't that the truth!

Ray is a few thousand miles west of me, and has a good 3rd of a mile on me in elevation...lol. (And I know that you know your geography). I'd probably consider outdoor storage out in the prairies...but around here, it's just too damp and wet...the brake rotors on my daily driver will turn orange with rust after sitting for only a couple days;(. Sad but true.

Nothing to report really in the way of project progress, but I did take told Blue Mule on a bit of a road trip today to visit my folks. I ended up putting 556 kms on the truck today (about 350 miles). The good news it that I managed to get 18.25 MPG. That was over a full tank, all highway driving between 60-65 MPH. I'm quite happy the mileage so far. I may make some further tweaks, and next time I'll even throw the factory air cleaner housing and air duct on for a test;).

IMG_5433.jpg.eae95ae10256ec134f944d070007641d.jpg

Nothing to report really in the way of project progress, but I did take told Blue Mule on a bit of a road trip today to visit my folks. I ended up putting 556 kms on the truck today (about 350 miles). The good news it that I managed to get 18.25 MPG. That was over a full tank, all highway driving between 60-65 MPH. I'm quite happy the mileage so far. I may make some further tweaks, and next time I'll even throw the factory air cleaner housing and air duct on for a test;).

That's excellent MPG for a strong engine like yours. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, good that you can take trips of that length w/o problems. Well done!

Awesome project Rembrant! I can't believe the MPG you are getting!!

Nice picture! I have heard that the 302 can return some good highway mileage if tuned and geared right. Do you happen to know your truck’s curb weight?