Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Today was power steering pump day! (And other miscellaneous sand blasting and painting of rusty engine bay bits).

I didn't take a picture at the start of the day, but I should have. My old power steering pump and bracket was all corroded and covered in oil and crud. Went back and cropped a previous engine picture:

I bought one of those runky dink power steering pulley puller/installer kits, and no way could I get that pulley to budge on the shaft. I heated it up with a propane torch first, and then acetylene, and no dice. The tool just wouldn't budge it. I'm sure you guys will find this next step to have been a bit crude, but I was getting sick of trying to remove the pulley the proper way, and just stuck the whole damn thing in a chop saw and carefully brought the blade down between the pulley and the bracket/bolts.

After that, I took the pulley over to the hydraulic press, and the remainder of the shaft was pressed out in no time. Done and dusted.

Next was sand blasting, wire wheeling, and painting. Even painted the bolts.

And with the rest of the mounting bracketry and pulley installed. Looking much better!

I also blasted and painted a few other odds and ends...this one being the bracket where the charcoal canister mounts, and the inside end of the battery tray.

Painfully slow all of this stuff, but I guess it will all be worth it in the end. Dyno day is tentatively scheduled for this coming Thursday, so the engine could be back in the old Blue Mule as early as Saturday.

Wow! Excellent job! Those things look great. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, that was a creative way of getting the pulley off. My pulley puller does a good job, but I'll have to remember that trick.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Excellent job! Those things look great. :nabble_smiley_good:

And, that was a creative way of getting the pulley off. My pulley puller does a good job, but I'll have to remember that trick.

Any tips or tricks in cleaning out the plastic coolant reservoir tank? I am assuming the black plastic cover is glued on? I don't want to pry on the thing too hard.

I guess a piece of Scotchbrite pad on the end of a coat hanger might work?

Any tips or tricks in cleaning out the plastic coolant reservoir tank? I am assuming the black plastic cover is glued on? I don't want to pry on the thing too hard.

I guess a piece of Scotchbrite pad on the end of a coat hanger might work?

The top is glued on, but you may be able to pry it loose. I have been successful doing that on one, but not others.

As for cleaning, if you don't get the top off you might try something like bb's and some detergent. But don't use lead shot as it'll mark the inside. Don't ask. :nabble_smiley_blush:

However, if I remember right the 84's still had the hose that entered at the top and hung loosely. My advice would be to find one from an '85 or '86 that has the hose attached at the bottom. They really do a better job of keeping the radiator full. Info on them is here: Cooling System/Coolant Recovery & Windshield Washer Reservoirs.

The top is glued on, but you may be able to pry it loose. I have been successful doing that on one, but not others.

As for cleaning, if you don't get the top off you might try something like bb's and some detergent. But don't use lead shot as it'll mark the inside. Don't ask. :nabble_smiley_blush:

However, if I remember right the 84's still had the hose that entered at the top and hung loosely. My advice would be to find one from an '85 or '86 that has the hose attached at the bottom. They really do a better job of keeping the radiator full. Info on them is here: Cooling System/Coolant Recovery & Windshield Washer Reservoirs.

Thanks Gary. My tank has the hose barb located at the bottom, but it is slightly different than the ones pictured as the mounting tabs stick out from the top as opposed to sticking out each side...if that makes any sense. I have no idea if this tank is original to the truck or not. Somebody was fiddling with it at some point in the past.

IMG_4567.jpg.5d811a46aa8fc4f4e30d33b725c28447.jpg

I found this thread below last night...sort by accident as I was looking for other stuff at the time. This looks like a good trick to try:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1538121-cleaned-the-inside-of-the-coolant-overflow-tank.html

Thanks Gary. My tank has the hose barb located at the bottom, but it is slightly different than the ones pictured as the mounting tabs stick out from the top as opposed to sticking out each side...if that makes any sense. I have no idea if this tank is original to the truck or not. Somebody was fiddling with it at some point in the past.

I found this thread below last night...sort by accident as I was looking for other stuff at the time. This looks like a good trick to try:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1538121-cleaned-the-inside-of-the-coolant-overflow-tank.html

I've never seen that style of tank. In fact, unless it is a diesel unit, which I've also never seen, I don't see it in the catalog.

Anyway, that fitting at the bottom seems to work much better at keeping the radiator full, so I'm glad you have that one.

And that thread seems to answer your question. Good job! Let us know how it goes, please.

A beauty!!! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, I thought it looked great too! I know the factory valve covers are a little on the boring side, but I was trying to keep the costs down and I may install nicer ones later;). For now, it's nice enough just being shiny blue and clean;).

Yeah, I thought it looked great too! I know the factory valve covers are a little on the boring side, but I was trying to keep the costs down and I may install nicer ones later;). For now, it's nice enough just being shiny blue and clean;).

Looks great! Can't wait for the dyno numbers. :nabble_anim_jump:

Engine looks great, and I like the factory valve covers... can’t argue with taste but I’d leave them that way.

I think that coolant reservoir may be from a car. It’s definitely not the diesel one, because the 6.9 has a huge separate coolant reservoir and a washer tank that is about the size of the combined tank on the gas engine trucks.