Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

How do you like those speakers? Is that brighter woofer cone visible through the door panel grill? I wonder if a piece of grill cloth or something could be put over the door panel from the inside - does there seem to be plenty of clearance between the woofer and the door panel or is it really tight? Will the speaker grills fit AND the door panel? Sorry for all the questions

Troy

I quite like the speakers. They sound fine for what I'm doing. I mostly listen to Podcasts via my iPhone/Bluetooth rather than music.

The brighter woofer cone is somewhat visible yes. I hadn't considered this previously and probably would have ordered a set of darker colored speakers had I thought of it. I'm sure you could put some cloth of some kind in there to hide them if need be.

I did not use the speaker grills, no.

There does seem to be lots of clearance between the speaker and the door panel, but because the speaker itself fits into a recessed area in the door, I don't think the grills would work anyway.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you like those speakers? Is that brighter woofer cone visible through the door panel grill? I wonder if a piece of grill cloth or something could be put over the door panel from the inside - does there seem to be plenty of clearance between the woofer and the door panel or is it really tight? Will the speaker grills fit AND the door panel? Sorry for all the questions

Troy

I quite like the speakers. They sound fine for what I'm doing. I mostly listen to Podcasts via my iPhone/Bluetooth rather than music.

The brighter woofer cone is somewhat visible yes. I hadn't considered this previously and probably would have ordered a set of darker colored speakers had I thought of it. I'm sure you could put some cloth of some kind in there to hide them if need be.

I did not use the speaker grills, no.

There does seem to be lots of clearance between the speaker and the door panel, but because the speaker itself fits into a recessed area in the door, I don't think the grills would work anyway.

Thank you. This is helpful.

Thank you. This is helpful.

Like Cory I have 6.5's in mine with the BoomMats. Previous owner had installed the same size so he took care of drilling the screw holes for me. Definitely recommend the baffles.

My door panels (xlt lariat) already have a piece of fabric behind the slots that hide the speaker. So if yours don't, you could easily add them.

Absolutely wonderful job, Cory! You should be quite proud of the outcome! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks David! I'm pretty happy with the old truck these days. It gets lots of waves, thumbs up, and "hey buddy, what year is that?" when I'm out and about with it. It's really starting to feel finished, but I'm not quite there yet. I still have a list of things that need to be done to it. Part of it is procrastination, but I think it's also a means of having some tasks in the bank as it were for the rainy days.

IMG_0987.jpg.06b93b5facdc20fc808137419857d617.jpg

I'm on a bit of a mission currently to get the interior finished up. It's actually not bad where it is now, but seeing how well that *correct Dark Harbor Blue interior paint matches on 66gtk's truck has given me a second wind of enthusiasm to get back at it. Making some calls about that today. Stay tuned.

dash.jpg.fc62043ffd6a2b488652c2b216505732.jpg

Anyway, things are winding down with the old truck, and that's cool. Too bad all of the car nights and car shows have been cancelled for this season.

I'm still having some issues with some vibration on the road, and it feels like flat spots on the tires, but still working on diagnosing it. Truck is going back in for an alignment next week and another deep dive on the tire balancer. Stay tuned for the results of that one. I am just about ready to buy new tires for it.

Absolutely wonderful job, Cory! You should be quite proud of the outcome! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks David! I'm pretty happy with the old truck these days. It gets lots of waves, thumbs up, and "hey buddy, what year is that?" when I'm out and about with it. It's really starting to feel finished, but I'm not quite there yet. I still have a list of things that need to be done to it. Part of it is procrastination, but I think it's also a means of having some tasks in the bank as it were for the rainy days.

I'm on a bit of a mission currently to get the interior finished up. It's actually not bad where it is now, but seeing how well that *correct Dark Harbor Blue interior paint matches on 66gtk's truck has given me a second wind of enthusiasm to get back at it. Making some calls about that today. Stay tuned.

Anyway, things are winding down with the old truck, and that's cool. Too bad all of the car nights and car shows have been cancelled for this season.

I'm still having some issues with some vibration on the road, and it feels like flat spots on the tires, but still working on diagnosing it. Truck is going back in for an alignment next week and another deep dive on the tire balancer. Stay tuned for the results of that one. I am just about ready to buy new tires for it.

truck looks great!

Dash lighting looks good, but I'm more interested in the 90MPH at under 2000RPM?!:nabble_smiley_what:

Oh...I'm in Canada, so my speedometer is in Kilometers. That's 90 km/h, or about 55MPH?

With the 5spd and 3.08 rear diff, my truck is geared pretty tall. On the highway at 70MPH, I'm still only running at 2000 RPM.

Dash lighting looks good, but I'm more interested in the 90MPH at under 2000RPM?!:nabble_smiley_what:

Oh...I'm in Canada, so my speedometer is in Kilometers. That's 90 km/h, or about 55MPH?

With the 5spd and 3.08 rear diff, my truck is geared pretty tall. On the highway at 70MPH, I'm still only running at 2000 RPM.

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig::nabble_head-slap-23_orig: Of course, makes total sense now. Still, 70 at 2000 is great too.:nabble_smiley_good: