Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

I'm 99% sure it's a kit from Fairchild. I think from RA, but not sure. Weirdly, in addition to the door seals being stiff, the driver's side is about an 1" too short.

Oh wow. Mine were actually about 8" too long, I had to cut them to fit. They're actually a little better today. I'm going to give them a little time to see if they settle in better.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 99% sure it's a kit from Fairchild. I think from RA, but not sure. Weirdly, in addition to the door seals being stiff, the driver's side is about an 1" too short.

Oh wow. Mine were actually about 8" too long, I had to cut them to fit. They're actually a little better today. I'm going to give them a little time to see if they settle in better.

Have you tried the talcum, Cory? That lets the thing slip a bit when it hits rather than just being squished.

It's entirely possible that mine came too long to and that I cut one poorly... They both fit fine while the truck was sitting(which happened after a hasty install). It's only once I removed them to clean that the one was too short after the proper install.

Yep so were mine, had to cut the end or they over lap and you cant have that under the door sill as it would not fit.

Dave ----

Yep so were mine, had to cut the end or they over lap and you cant have that under the door sill as it would not fit.

Dave ----

Hey Cory! Do the after market door rubbers have small relief holes in them to let out the air as the rubber gets squashed as the doors close because the one's on our truck has.

Hey Cory! Do the after market door rubbers have small relief holes in them to let out the air as the rubber gets squashed as the doors close because the one's on our truck has.

Hey Darin, what's going on down under? I wasn't aware of the holes until you asked, but they are indeed there.

IMG_0880.jpg.b2933e6da0f44c66b4a815e9f34e1b34.jpg

Something else I didn't notice until I looked closer at my scrap piece is that the seal part actually is a rubber coated foam (I read this elsewhere).

IMG_0879.jpg.db9da2cd7c6c15d135c2a1db7bb03a01.jpg

I think it is just the nature of the beast that they are difficult to close for a while (or forever). However, I have read of Bullnosers that did have good luck with them and the seals did relax and form after a while. I think even now only a couple days later, mine are a little better than they were.

Hey Darin, what's going on down under? I wasn't aware of the holes until you asked, but they are indeed there.

Something else I didn't notice until I looked closer at my scrap piece is that the seal part actually is a rubber coated foam (I read this elsewhere).

I think it is just the nature of the beast that they are difficult to close for a while (or forever). However, I have read of Bullnosers that did have good luck with them and the seals did relax and form after a while. I think even now only a couple days later, mine are a little better than they were.

All good here thanks Cory - I'm just chasing up some parts from the New Year when we visited the US.

That's good that they have the holes. Maybe as you said, it needs to be left in the sun a bit so they can soften up. Keep in mind that your doors have been adjusted to the old rubbers and may have to be readjusted to the new ones.

Finally laid my 36 year old door seals to rest tonight. May they rest in peace at the landfill.

I've been avoiding installing the new ones since last year because the doors are so damn difficult to close. I trust these things will flatten out OK? Holy heck the doors are hard to close, and until the seal flattens out in a couple spots, I've got some gaps that are barely sealed at all atm.

The Blue Mule and I had a sensual Meguiars session last night before going out for a drive. As much as I love my Flaresides, they're a little more of a pain to clean compared to a truck with a Styleside bed!

In any case, I thought I'd let you guys know that my doors are already a little easier to close, especially the driver's door that obviously gets used 100x more than the passenger side. One thing that is a big help is to roll the window down before closing it. Once I do that, it closes pretty well now.

IMG_0893.jpg.efb5da8c032ef49cd366a2b43cf09084.jpg

Filled up again this morning an got 16.7 mpg on this recent tank. That's a half a dozen tanks now all within 0.5 mpg of each other, so that's nice and consistent.

Going to pick up my cans of SEM Color-Coat in a little while, so I'm pretty excited about that. Going to try and get my door panels all RE-installed this weekend.

The Blue Mule and I had a sensual Meguiars session last night before going out for a drive. As much as I love my Flaresides, they're a little more of a pain to clean compared to a truck with a Styleside bed!

In any case, I thought I'd let you guys know that my doors are already a little easier to close, especially the driver's door that obviously gets used 100x more than the passenger side. One thing that is a big help is to roll the window down before closing it. Once I do that, it closes pretty well now.

Filled up again this morning an got 16.7 mpg on this recent tank. That's a half a dozen tanks now all within 0.5 mpg of each other, so that's nice and consistent.

Going to pick up my cans of SEM Color-Coat in a little while, so I'm pretty excited about that. Going to try and get my door panels all RE-installed this weekend.

A nice massage with a happy ending! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Your truck keeps looking better and better, Cory!

The old VW Beetle was like that [air tight].

Very, very good gas mileage! :nabble_anim_claps: