Bullnose Forums

My 1984 F150 2wd Flareside Project "Blue Mule"

Rembrant

Yes.

You have white and a red wire in the power plug of the module.

When the white wire is energized it adds the delay.

Did you buy your module through a Ford dealer?

If it doesn't *at the least* have the Motorcraft number on it it's probably counterfeit.

There were a very few AMC vehicles that used DuraSpark modules under license, but their production numbers were pathetically low compared to Ford, and they soon vanished as an entity.

If your old box pulls in enough retard then I don't see a reason to go to some oddball (and probably expensive) white grommet box.

https://theexpress4less.com/products/napa-echlin-tp40-ignition-control-module-modulator-ford-e350-new-free-fast-ship

HERE YOU GO. $37, free shipping.

There is a TP-41 module on eBay for $12 right now.

That's the three plug yellow grommet one for California Windsors with the MCU.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it doesn't *at the least* have the Motorcraft number on it it's probably counterfeit.

I ordered it on Amazon, again, based on good reviews from other people on forums. I get it though, I suppose it could be counterfeit. In any case, I'm going to order a better one.

Nice price, although the free shipping is only in the US. I'll check with Napa locally and see what they have.

Yes.

You have white and a red wire in the power plug of the module.

When the white wire is energized it adds the delay.

There were a very few AMC vehicles that used DuraSpark modules under license, but their production numbers were pathetically low compared to Ford, and they soon vanished as an entity.

If your old box pulls in enough retard then I don't see a reason to go to some oddball (and probably expensive) white grommet box.

Our page on ignition (Documentation/Electrical/Ignition) doesn't list the white grommet box, but it has a link to Bob's Garage Library which does. It gives it as:

Part # D9FZ 12A199-A

ID # D9EE-12A244-A1A /A2A

Motorcraft # DY-250

And there are links on that page to something called FTE. Oddly enough, there's a guy on there called Rusty_S. I think this may be Groundhog Day.

Anyway, I assume you found this page: https://bzerob.com/library/ford/ford-DS2morenotes.html It does say 14 degrees and "very early 80's carb 2.3t". But the "D9" suggests its usage started in '79.

...It does say 14 degrees and "very early 80's carb 2.3t". But the "D9" suggests its usage started in '79.

Yes, and that would have been on the 2.3L turbo 4cyl in the new for 1979 Mustang foxbody.

I guess I'll probably just go with another blue grommet ignition module and be done with it.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

...It does say 14 degrees and "very early 80's carb 2.3t". But the "D9" suggests its usage started in '79.

Yes, and that would have been on the 2.3L turbo 4cyl in the new for 1979 Mustang foxbody.

I guess I'll probably just go with another blue grommet ignition module and be done with it.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

Regarding timing retard, I read where one who races with Ford engines with very high compression would use a push button switch to disable the ignition module, while cranking the engine. Once the engine gained momentum, the switch would be released and the engine would fire off.

Regarding timing retard, I read where one who races with Ford engines with very high compression would use a push button switch to disable the ignition module, while cranking the engine. Once the engine gained momentum, the switch would be released and the engine would fire off.

Cory - The '79 Mustang fits, so I'll bet that's what it was. But I think a good blue-grommet one with the retard function will work well for you.

David - I can see how that would work. But you'd have to be careful and not crank long w/o ignition or you could flood it.

Cory - The '79 Mustang fits, so I'll bet that's what it was. But I think a good blue-grommet one with the retard function will work well for you.

David - I can see how that would work. But you'd have to be careful and not crank long w/o ignition or you could flood it.

..or blow any exhaust system right off of it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

..or blow any exhaust system right off of it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yep! Been there, done that. Literally at the age of two. Was standing beside Dad as he drove and I turned the key off. He reached up and turned it back on. BAM! He said it blew the exhaust right off of it.

:nabble_smiley_oh:

AMC started using the box in 76 and think it was used till the end in 1988.

I know my 75 AMC has the Prestolite system and a 76 I had had the box.

I don't know what my sons YJ Jeep had, may have been the box? but I know he also wired in a GM module and kept the box as a back up.

At the time I was into AMC's I did not know of this crank / retard timing or what the color of the plugs were so I cant say it the AMC boxes had the "dial back" or not?

Dave ----

AMC started using the box in 76 and think it was used till the end in 1988.

I know my 75 AMC has the Prestolite system and a 76 I had had the box.

I don't know what my sons YJ Jeep had, may have been the box? but I know he also wired in a GM module and kept the box as a back up.

At the time I was into AMC's I did not know of this crank / retard timing or what the color of the plugs were so I cant say it the AMC boxes had the "dial back" or not?

Dave ----

Blue relief plug? :nabble_anim_confused:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1976-1977-1978-AMC-PACER-HORNET-AMX-GREMLIN-JEEP-CJ-CHAROKEE-IGNITION-BOX-/362325827607

Or, maybe yellow???

https://www.ebay.com/i/123747047544?chn=ps